Mar 3, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
UPDATE: Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com passes along word that the deal is official. Crasnick also notes that Maybin’s desire for a no-trade clause was denied because the Padres have a club policy against giving no-trade clauses.
12:05 PM: Corey Brock of MLB.com confirms that the deal is worth $25 million. Sounds like a potential bargain for the Padres.
11:51 AM: Dan Hayes of the North County Times reports that the deal is worth $23-25 million while the club option is in the range of $7-8 million.
11:23 AM: The San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Padres will announce the extension later today.
The new deal will lock up Maybin through 2016 and includes a club option for 2017. In other words, the Padres have bought out all three of his arbitration seasons and at least his first year of free agency.
10:59 AM: Dan Hayes of the North County Times was told by a front office source that the Padres and Cameron Maybin are “very close” to finalizing a extension and that a deal could be announced today. No word yet on the possible terms.
The two sides had off-and-on discussions about a possible deal earlier this offseason, but talks progressed after Maybin switched agents in January.
Maybin, who was acquired from the Marlins last offseason for relievers Ryan Webb and Edward Mujica, batted .264/.323/.393 with nine homers, 40 RBI, 40 stolen bases and a .716 OPS over 137 games in 2011 while playing solid defense in center field. The 24-year-old owns a .255/.318/.386 batting line over his first 1,178 plate appearances in the majors.
Maybin is set to become arbitration-eligible for the first time next winter and remains under team control through 2015.
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 7
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 36
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 31
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)