Mar 3, 2012, 5:23 PM EDT
The Rangers agreed to sign Dominican outfielder Jairo Beras for $4.5 million earlier this week, which created quite a bit of controversy as many teams were under the impression that he was only 16 years old and thus ineligible to sign until July 2.
MLB immediately opened an investigation on the matter and according to Ben Badler of Baseball America, the contract is not expected to be approved.
It’s not clear if Beras will face any sort of penalty if it is found that he somehow misrepresented his age. One thing we do know is that he wouldn’t get a similar contract this summer. MLB’s new collective bargaining agreement limits all teams to a $2.9 million international spending cap from July 2, 2012 to July 1, 2013.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 4
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)