Mar 3, 2012, 5:33 PM EDT
The Cuban outfielder arrived in A’s camp this morning and passed a pre-signing physical in order to make the deal official. He is scheduled to be introduced to the media during a press conference tomorrow morning. No word on if Ahman Green will be in attendance.
11:27 AM: The wait is over.
Yoenis Cespedes agreed to a four-year, $36 million contract with the Athletics last month, but the deal isn’t yet finalized because he has been waiting on a work visa in the Dominican Republic. However, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the 26-year-old outfielder has finally arrived in Athletics’ camp this morning.
The first order to business is for Cespedes to undergo a physical in order to make his contract with Oakland official. He isn’t expected to work out with the team or address the media today.
Cespedes is a little bit behind the other position players in camp, but he still has plenty of time to get ready for Opening Day. He is expected to open the season as the A’s starting center fielder, pushing Coco Crisp over to left field.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 4
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 19
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 37
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (186)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)