Mar 3, 2012, 5:33 PM EDT
The Cuban outfielder arrived in A’s camp this morning and passed a pre-signing physical in order to make the deal official. He is scheduled to be introduced to the media during a press conference tomorrow morning. No word on if Ahman Green will be in attendance.
11:27 AM: The wait is over.
Yoenis Cespedes agreed to a four-year, $36 million contract with the Athletics last month, but the deal isn’t yet finalized because he has been waiting on a work visa in the Dominican Republic. However, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the 26-year-old outfielder has finally arrived in Athletics’ camp this morning.
The first order to business is for Cespedes to undergo a physical in order to make his contract with Oakland official. He isn’t expected to work out with the team or address the media today.
Cespedes is a little bit behind the other position players in camp, but he still has plenty of time to get ready for Opening Day. He is expected to open the season as the A’s starting center fielder, pushing Coco Crisp over to left field.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)