Mar 3, 2012, 5:33 PM EDT
The Cuban outfielder arrived in A’s camp this morning and passed a pre-signing physical in order to make the deal official. He is scheduled to be introduced to the media during a press conference tomorrow morning. No word on if Ahman Green will be in attendance.
11:27 AM: The wait is over.
Yoenis Cespedes agreed to a four-year, $36 million contract with the Athletics last month, but the deal isn’t yet finalized because he has been waiting on a work visa in the Dominican Republic. However, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the 26-year-old outfielder has finally arrived in Athletics’ camp this morning.
The first order to business is for Cespedes to undergo a physical in order to make his contract with Oakland official. He isn’t expected to work out with the team or address the media today.
Cespedes is a little bit behind the other position players in camp, but he still has plenty of time to get ready for Opening Day. He is expected to open the season as the A’s starting center fielder, pushing Coco Crisp over to left field.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 12
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 22
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 39
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)