Mar 3, 2012, 5:33 PM EST
The Cuban outfielder arrived in A’s camp this morning and passed a pre-signing physical in order to make the deal official. He is scheduled to be introduced to the media during a press conference tomorrow morning. No word on if Ahman Green will be in attendance.
11:27 AM: The wait is over.
Yoenis Cespedes agreed to a four-year, $36 million contract with the Athletics last month, but the deal isn’t yet finalized because he has been waiting on a work visa in the Dominican Republic. However, Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle reports that the 26-year-old outfielder has finally arrived in Athletics’ camp this morning.
The first order to business is for Cespedes to undergo a physical in order to make his contract with Oakland official. He isn’t expected to work out with the team or address the media today.
Cespedes is a little bit behind the other position players in camp, but he still has plenty of time to get ready for Opening Day. He is expected to open the season as the A’s starting center fielder, pushing Coco Crisp over to left field.
- Mariners sign Corey Hart 14
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 31
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 18
- Rockies acquire Brett Anderson from A’s 12
- D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 65
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (112)