Andrew Cashner averaged 102.2 mph with his fastball Sunday

Mar 4, 2012, 8:11 PM EDT

Andrew Cashner Getty Images

Move over Aroldis, the National League might have a new hardest thrower.

As Dan Brooks pointed out, PitchFX data had Padres reliever Andrew Cashner averaging 102.2 mph with his fastball on Sunday. He threw 10 pitches in his scoreless innings out of the pen, all of them heaters. According to the data, they ranged between 100.5 and 103.3 mph.

For those unfamiliar with the Cashner saga, the former first-round pick debuted with the Cubs as a reliever in 2010 and then won the fifth spot in the team’s rotation a year ago, only to hurt his shoulder in his season debut. He didn’t return until September, and he was a reliever again then. The Padres acquired him for top prospect Anthony Rizzo in the offseason and immediately announced their intention to leave him in the pen, at least for 2012. He’s expected to work as a setup man in front of closer Huston Street.

According to Baseball Info Solutions data, Nationals reliever Henry Rodriguez was the game’s hardest thrower last year, averaging 98.0 mph with his fastball. That barely eclipsed Aroldis Chapman, whose fastball came in at 97.9. Chapman, though, did have more fastballs register at 100+ mph, topping Rodriguez 158-127. Cashner may well beat out both this year if he can stay healthy. Chapman may hit triple-digits once in a while as a starter, but it won’t happen as often as it did out of the pen.

1. icanspeel - Mar 4, 2012 at 8:46 PM

The big question with him is.. Can he stay healthy? If so, the Padres plan to keep him as a setup man/closer so that may help with overall durability.

• jason1214 - Mar 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM

As a set up man/closer yes…………as a starter………..no…………this is the reason the Cubs dealt him. You know what his consistency was as a starter in minors? 5 innings.

2. phillyphreak - Mar 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I don’t want to be a downer or anything but how accurate is PitchFX this early in the season, particularly spring training? I seem to remember an article from early last year that said it takes a few dozen games before they can be determined to be accurate…

But if so…crazy.

• dondada10 - Mar 4, 2012 at 9:46 PM

I could see PitchFX being somewhat inaccurate early in regards to break and location. Velocity, however, is probably consistency accurate from once they initial boot Pitch FX.

• phillyphreak - Mar 4, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Hmmm. I found the article. http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=13545

Still, if he was even at 100 that’s pretty cool as a fan. I wonder if anyone had a gun reading on him.

3. Old Gator - Mar 4, 2012 at 9:25 PM

That’s exciting stuff from a fan’s point of view. Rob Nen used to bring it like that when he was with the Feesh. During the playoffs and series in ’97 it was a hoot to watch the radar numbers up on the scoreboard when he was pitching. There’s still nothing in the game like the matchup between a slugger and a flamethrower.

• vivabear - Mar 5, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Would that be Robb Nen you are referencing?

• skane2005 - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Troll

• Old Gator - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Yep. Even an anancephalic can be right occasionally – it’s called the “monkeys and typewriters principle.”

Meanwhile:

Edit function!
        Edit function!
        EDIT FUNCTION!

• vivabear - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Gator – it would benefit you to spend more time reading this blog, than creating comments that no one except you finds funny. You have little comprehension of the game of baseball and all things associated with it.

• phillyphreak - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Vivabear,
        I, and many others, enjoy interacting with Gator. You on the other hand…..

• vivabear - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:26 AM

phreak – somehow, that doesn’t surprise me.

• El Bravo - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:27 AM

vivabear, you are simply wrong in every single way. There are many more of us that enjoy Gator’s comments and knowledge of baseball than there are negative Nancies like you, I assure you.

• vivabear - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Bravo – ok…since I have your assurance then it’s settled.

• wlschneider09 - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Gator’s a crowd favorite here, while you appear to be an annoying git who can’t thumb-up his own comments fast enough.

• Old Gator - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Gentlemen, I am touched by your enthusiasm and support.

Then again, I have been called “touched” quite a bit in that other sense too.

By and large vivabear’s comments are so impotently malicious, and his rhetorical ploys so juvenile, sententious and lame, that having him to play with on this forum is a bit like finding a small rat stuck in a glue trap. On one hand, it’s comforting to see the idiot mire himself in his own bon mots, self-contradictions, straw men, bile and general stupidity. On the other, he’s too gooped up in his own obviousness to be worth feeding to Friendo, thereby failing to save me two bucks on a pet shop feeder mouse.

So whereas I don’t wish to seem ungrateful, there’s no real need to expend much effort to defend me from what is so patently ineffectual in the first place. Vivabear isn’t much good at or for anything that I can see, but he is an expert at playing out enough semantic rope to hang himself every time he sallies forth here.

• vivabear - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:31 AM

“vivabear’s comments are so impotently malicious, and his rhetorical ploys so juvenile”

I would say calling someone an idiot, moron and illiterate is closer to malicious and juvenile than letting someone know they ficticious trade wants for their hometown team are no where close to reality.

• vivabear - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:32 AM

*their ficticious….*

• Old Gator - Mar 5, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Edit function!
        Edit function!
        EDIT FUNCTION!

Gut mein Kind, scheinen Sie, auf diesem Tweeter für Garza Handel pathologisch fixiert zu werden. Als Kind gingen Sie möglicherweise innen auf Ihre Eltern eine Nacht, als sie mitten in dem Ordnen eines Handels waren? Hmmmmmm?

• Old Gator - Mar 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Edit function!
        Edit function!
        EDIT FUNCTION!

Well, let’s say that calling you an idiot, malicious, juvenile and a moron could be considered juvenile in itself if you were not, in fact, malicious, juvenile, an idiot and a moron. I’ve been kind so far in not adding “pathologically obsessive” to the list, since your preoccupation with the Garza-for-Morrison discussions between the Feesh and Cubs has definite pathological symptoms and I do try to be considerate of the psychological shortcomings of the profoundly disturbed. However, since you bring it up – yet again – and it has clearly become the very tether connecting you to your own quite straitjacketed version of “reality,”

I suppose there’s nothing for it but to let you go right on popping up from time to time to remind everybody that a trade that never did happen, never did happen. I think we all realize that already, but clearly, you seem to feel some need to keep reminding everyone of that, and since I can’t legally prescribe Zoloft, Effexor or Prozac for you, I guess we’ll just have to keep on putting up with your disorder until someone who can prescribe them does.

• vivabear - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Right…how could I not see MY preoccupation w/ the Garza for Morrison discussions. You’re ignoring the fact the only times I’ve commented about this, is after your misinformation on the subject has been posted.

Really, if you’re going to identify psychological disorders on a baseball blog message board you may want to start with YOUR apparent preoccupations with “Slobbering Ozzie” and “Scrooge McLoria” being part of a much larger problem.

4. firstandonlywarning - Mar 4, 2012 at 9:53 PM

If anyone thinks he actually averaged 102.2 I have some magic beans with your name on them

• Old Gator - Mar 4, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Sorry, I don’t eat beans. You got any mushrooms?

5. bleed4philly - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Glad to see he recovered.

6. westsideculture - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Holy Cash thats fast!

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3470)