Mar 4, 2012, 10:27 AM EDT
Mets team doctors have diagnosed first baseman Ike Davis with Valley Fever, a fungal disease common in the southwestern United States and northwestern Mexico with symptoms ranging in severity from easily manageable to potentially life-threatening.
Davis is hoping his experience with the bug falls into that easy-to-manage category. And so far it has.
The talented 24-year-old spoke about the disease Sunday with ESPN New York beat reporter Adam Rubin:
“It’s been the same,” said Davis. “Seriously. I feel great. And I don’t have any symptoms of it. I’m not coughing. I’m not throwing up blood. I’m not doing anything. It’s not even hard to breathe. The doctor said I could play, and just don’t get really, really fatigued. So that’s what we’re doing. And if I get really tired, I kind of just step to the side and take a break.”
Davis was then asked how long he expects the disease to stay in his system:
“It’s person by person. A year, maybe. But another thing is, if you look at it, like 40 percent of people that live in Arizona get it in their life. It doesn’t affect a lot of people that get it. So hopefully I’m one of those guys. … I don’t think I have an extreme case.”
Valley Fever led to outfielder Conor Jackson missing more than 100 games of the 2009 season and completely sidetracked his promising career, but he was far more symptomatic than Davis. Still, the Mets are already planning days off for Davis this spring and could do the same during the regular season.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)