Mar 4, 2012, 10:27 AM EDT
Mets team doctors have diagnosed first baseman Ike Davis with Valley Fever, a fungal disease common in the southwestern United States and northwestern Mexico with symptoms ranging in severity from easily manageable to potentially life-threatening.
Davis is hoping his experience with the bug falls into that easy-to-manage category. And so far it has.
The talented 24-year-old spoke about the disease Sunday with ESPN New York beat reporter Adam Rubin:
“It’s been the same,” said Davis. “Seriously. I feel great. And I don’t have any symptoms of it. I’m not coughing. I’m not throwing up blood. I’m not doing anything. It’s not even hard to breathe. The doctor said I could play, and just don’t get really, really fatigued. So that’s what we’re doing. And if I get really tired, I kind of just step to the side and take a break.”
Davis was then asked how long he expects the disease to stay in his system:
“It’s person by person. A year, maybe. But another thing is, if you look at it, like 40 percent of people that live in Arizona get it in their life. It doesn’t affect a lot of people that get it. So hopefully I’m one of those guys. … I don’t think I have an extreme case.”
Valley Fever led to outfielder Conor Jackson missing more than 100 games of the 2009 season and completely sidetracked his promising career, but he was far more symptomatic than Davis. Still, the Mets are already planning days off for Davis this spring and could do the same during the regular season.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 11
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris