Ike Davis discusses Valley Fever: “Seriously. I feel great.”

Mar 4, 2012, 10:27 AM EDT

davis chatting getty Getty Images

Mets team doctors have diagnosed first baseman Ike Davis with Valley Fever, a fungal disease common in the southwestern United States and northwestern Mexico with symptoms ranging in severity from easily manageable to potentially life-threatening.

Davis is hoping his experience with the bug falls into that easy-to-manage category. And so far it has.

The talented 24-year-old spoke about the disease Sunday with ESPN New York beat reporter Adam Rubin:

“It’s been the same,” said Davis. “Seriously. I feel great. And I don’t have any symptoms of it. I’m not coughing. I’m not throwing up blood. I’m not doing anything. It’s not even hard to breathe. The doctor said I could play, and just don’t get really, really fatigued. So that’s what we’re doing. And if I get really tired, I kind of just step to the side and take a break.”

Davis was then asked how long he expects the disease to stay in his system:

“It’s person by person. A year, maybe. But another thing is, if you look at it, like 40 percent of people that live in Arizona get it in their life. It doesn’t affect a lot of people that get it. So hopefully I’m one of those guys. … I don’t think I have an extreme case.”

Valley Fever led to outfielder Conor Jackson missing more than 100 games of the 2009 season and completely sidetracked his promising career, but he was far more symptomatic than Davis. Still, the Mets are already planning days off for Davis this spring and could do the same during the regular season.

1. hushbrother - Mar 4, 2012 at 10:33 AM

He’s got a fever, and the only thing that can cure it is more cowbell.

2. cur68 - Mar 4, 2012 at 11:42 AM

*Self imposed Mets comments-moratorium OFF* Take Theo Epstein’s advice, Ike! *Self imposed Mets comments-moratorium ON*

3. firstandonlywarning - Mar 4, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Sooooo Mets fans how do yas feel now?

And what I mean by that is most of yas, like Jets fans, when you were kids and while everyone else was starting to root for the Giants and Yankees, you thought you would be different and root for the Mets and Jets.

How’s that been working out for yas?

• christos99 - Mar 4, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Firstandonlywarning, yas be sounding like white trash… And what makes you think people can’t be Mets fans and a Giants fan?

• jimbo1949 - Mar 4, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Some of us Yankee/Jet fans tend not to be mouthbreathers either.

• firstandonlywarning - Mar 4, 2012 at 9:51 PM

“yas be” LOL

Jets fans…Haven’t been to the big game since the 60′s while the Giants have won it how many times?

And the Mets?

“yas be sounding like white trash”
        LMAO
        nice

• papasadappa - Mar 4, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Sorry. Some of us are real fans and not bandwagon jumpers…

4. rob0527 - Mar 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM

Well the run of mets injuries is starting?

5. tsi431 - Mar 5, 2012 at 7:23 AM

I would still rather be a Mets fan during there worst years, then be a Yankees fan at anytime.

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (4253)