Mar 4, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
Litsch was only supposed to miss a couple of days while the shot took effect. But the 26-year-old has now been ruled out for the start of the 2012 season.
According to beat writer Gregor Johns of MLB.com, the injection caused an infection in Litsch’s right arm and he had to undergo emergency surgery this weekend to have the infection removed.
Litsch will not be allowed to pick up a baseball for the next six weeks and is doubtful to be back to 100 percent health by the end of April. He registered a 4.44 ERA and 1.29 WHIP in 75 innings last season.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)