Mar 4, 2012, 11:50 AM EDT
Litsch was only supposed to miss a couple of days while the shot took effect. But the 26-year-old has now been ruled out for the start of the 2012 season.
According to beat writer Gregor Johns of MLB.com, the injection caused an infection in Litsch’s right arm and he had to undergo emergency surgery this weekend to have the infection removed.
Litsch will not be allowed to pick up a baseball for the next six weeks and is doubtful to be back to 100 percent health by the end of April. He registered a 4.44 ERA and 1.29 WHIP in 75 innings last season.
- Boswell: “Harper may be the Nats’ seventh-best player” 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 48
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 9
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 170
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 6
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (249)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (170)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)