Phillies GM acknowledges Ryan Howard “could be backed up for a while” due to infection

Mar 4, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT

howard reuters Reuters

The Phillies have downplayed the severity of the infection that developed two weeks ago around Ryan Howard‘s surgically-repaired Achilles tendon.

But it sure sounds like a pretty major setback.

According to beat reporter Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Howard will be in a walking boot for the next 10 days as he recovers from a cleanup procedure designed to remove the infection and has been instructed to stay away from the Phillies’ spring training complex indefinitely.

Howard was cleared for light workouts shortly after his arrival to Phillies camp, but he’s now been idle since February 25 and nobody can say for certain when he might be cleared to return to action.

“I don’t know when he’s going to start baseball activities,” Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. said Sunday. “I don’t have any idea. I don’t have any time frame one way or another. Hopefully he can get the boot off as soon as possible and we can be sure. We’re not going to do anything with him unless we’re sure the infection is out. He could be backed up for a while. I don’t know. I really don’t know. I don’t have any time frame.”

Howard was originally aiming to return sometime in May, but it’s safe to wonder whether he’s in danger of missing the entire first half. The 32-year-old slugger tallied 33 homers and 116 RBI in 152 games last season.

1. ame123 - Mar 4, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Glad they are putting the breaks on a bit. The infection might be a blessing in disguise as it will give the tendon extra healing time before he starts putting the pressure back on.

• stex52 - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Chances are that any healing processes in the vicinity of a (presumed) staph infection will be slowed. But your bigger point is still right. The guy is under contract for a long time. Don’t rush anything that would prevent him eventually getting back completely healed.

2. ditto65 - Mar 4, 2012 at 4:07 PM

They can afford to give him time – he is signed through 2017…

• ame123 - Mar 4, 2012 at 4:39 PM

2016 actually… But troll on.

• ditto65 - Mar 4, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Thanks for correcting me. I wouldn’t want to mislead the public while mocking a stupid contract extension.

3. hammyofdoom - Mar 4, 2012 at 5:25 PM

An article from 2010:
    “The slugging first baseman agreed to a $125 million, five-year contract extension Monday that could keep him with the Phillies until 2017.”

• ame123 - Mar 4, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Ever heard of team options? Guess not

• Kevin S. - Mar 4, 2012 at 10:36 PM

You’re right, paying Howard $10 million not to play for Philly in 2017 is gonna be awesome!

• ame123 - Mar 5, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Its actually 7.5 and its already counted in the $125 figure everyone loves so much. But keep on trolling!

• phillyphreak - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:21 AM

ame123,
        It’s 10 million. Read the post by jwbiii.

4. jwbiii - Mar 4, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Ryan Howard 1b
    5 years/$125M (2012-16), plus 2017 option

5 years/$125M (2012-16), plus 2017 option
    signed extension with Philadelphia 4/26/10
    12:$20M, 13:$20M, 14:$25M, 15:$25M, 16:$25M, 17:$23M club option ($10M buyout)

5. ezthinking - Mar 4, 2012 at 7:32 PM

The ‘stay away’ business sounds like staph infection.

• firedude7160 - Mar 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Exactly what I was thinking

6. drunkenhooliganism - Mar 4, 2012 at 9:40 PM

It’s probably the pain killers that are backing him up. When I got the good pills after my surgery, I was blocked up for a week.

• ame123 - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:56 AM

He should just ask the people over there in florida how to deal with the situation. The pill-popping capital of the world.

7. CJ - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:04 AM

oh look! someone else figured out how to copy and paste into a blog! And self-promote their garbage on someone else’s website.

But hey, at least you put SOME effort in and put a whole two sentences of analysis in there that (we’re led to think) actually came for you.

Points for that, I guess.

8. fenianblastard - Mar 9, 2012 at 5:57 AM

Why do the Fans care how much ownership spends ? The Phillies are raking cash in thru sponserships.. Ive been a FULL Season tic holder since CBP opened in 2004 seen my tix price rise dramatically since actually doubled since 2004 but Ill gladly pay as long as I can afford it, think how far we have cpme since dealing Schilling, allowing Rolen to St Louis.. If you grew up a Seam Head as a Phillies Fan in 80’s and 90’s as my parents go bck to 1979 vet season tic holders and stilll have em too, i remember vet days w 200 people coming..
    Anyhow people keep coming in droves they will spend it.. I still shake my head saying this is my Phillies.. Middleton gets it and saw the starved crazed sports fans and spend the dough amd Its known we will support great teams but this era is simply great.. W addition of anothr WC Phillies should always be in a race as long as top FA wish to play here…anyhow Howard’s Contract doesnt look too bad as Pujols and Fielder’s are almost 100 mill for Feilder and 125 mill more for a 37 yo Pujols.. Although i wished he was a FA soon becauae his Production and preparation have lacked every year since 06 MVP year.. He Avg 45 HR’s first 4 yrs and now he barely gets 30…

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3160)