Mar 4, 2012, 3:05 PM EDT
White claims that he only had two drinks before the arrest, but he failed both a field sobriety test and a breathalyzer. He was released from jail at 10:25 p.m.
The Rockies have released a written statement:
“We were extremely disappointed to learn that Alex White had been arrested last night. This type of behavior is taken very seriously by our organization, and through our discussions with him we know that he clearly understands the seriousness of his poor decisions, the harm that could have been inflicted on others and the embarrassment his mistake has caused himself, his family and the organization. Alex is taking full accountability for his actions with his teammates and manager. The man we have grown to know is a dedicated teammate who has strong values that are grounded in his family and hard work. We believe he will learn from his unfortunate decision and clearly understands the severity of the situation.”
White is aiming to lock up a spot in the Rockies’ starting rotation this spring after registering a 1.80 ERA, 0.88 WHIP and 38/6 K/BB ratio in 40 innings last season between Double-A and Triple-A. The 23-year-old right-hander from North Carolina had a 7.01 ERA in his first 51 1/3 major league frames.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)