Tigers hit nine homers in win over Braves

Mar 4, 2012, 5:26 PM EDT

Prince Fielder AP

On Saturday, the Tigers pitched a one-hitter in a 2-0 victory over the Braves. Today, they went about things a bit differently, crushing nine homers in a 18-3 rout.

The rundown:

Alex Avila – two-run off Randall Delgado in the first
Ryan Raburn – solo off Julio Teheran in the second
Brennan Boesch – solo homer off Julio Teheran in the second
Prince Fielder – solo homer off Julio Teheran in the third
Delmon Young – solo homer off Julio Teheran in the third
Jhonny Peralta – two-run off Julio Teheran in the third
Austin Jackson – solo off Julio Teheran in the third
Ryan Raburn – grand slam off Jason Rice in the fifth
Danny Worth – solo off Jaye Chapman in the seventh

All nine likely regulars started for the Tigers and seven homered, with only Miguel Cabrera and Andy Dirks getting left out of the fun. Poor Julio Teheran, regarded by most as one of the game’s top three pitching prospects, never had a chance with the wind blowing out to right.

Yeah, there’s good reason to worry about Detroit’s defense — Cabrera committed one of the team’s three errors today — but everything else is looking mighty fine.

1. jimbo1949 - Mar 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Glad you didn’t go with the “Teheran Was Target Of Severe Bombing Today” headline.

• djpostl - Mar 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Lol

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 4, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Unfortunately an awesome headline like that would probably get someone fired because some jabroni would be outraged.

• cnbweb - Mar 4, 2012 at 11:12 PM

‘Jabroni’? I’m sorry, didn’t know The Rock was posting on HBT.

2. aaronmoreno - Mar 4, 2012 at 6:07 PM

The hitters are ahead of the pitchers!

3. cur68 - Mar 4, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Not that it made any difference to the shellacking, but so far, Miggy’s answer to “¿Si or No?” is “¡No, Motherf#$@&*!”

4. jason1214 - Mar 4, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Slow news day, who cares? its SPRING TRAINING.

5. thehypercritic - Mar 4, 2012 at 6:25 PM

“everything else is looking mighty fine” I hope that’s not drawing any conclusions from nine innings played in March exhibition where the goal of the game was to prepare for season rather than win.

6. proudlycanadian - Mar 4, 2012 at 6:27 PM

Craig is in shock even if it is only spring training.

7. vincentbojackson - Mar 4, 2012 at 6:48 PM

jason1214 says:

Slow news day, who cares? its SPRING TRAINING.

———————

Guy goes to a baseball blog during spring training, reads a story about spring training, then wonders why there’s a report on spring training.

I’m confused by his confusion.

• jason1214 - Mar 4, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Who said I was confused? I’m fully aware its spring training. My point was lets not get overly excited because the Tigers hit 9 homers in a game that doesn’t count LOL

• ezthinking - Mar 4, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Were you hoping for an article about what Derek Jeter was wearing when he got to the park today?

• jason1214 - Mar 4, 2012 at 9:11 PM

wow smart ass comments, I love it.

• CJ - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:33 AM

you posted 4 times on a thread about a ST game that doesn’t count. who’s the one that’s overly excited?

8. ame123 - Mar 4, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Julio TeHeoverraton

9. randygnyc - Mar 4, 2012 at 7:01 PM

This game added insult to injury, as the braves were practically no-hit yesterday (1). Anyway, I expect Jose Teheran to be named opening day starter, any minute.

BTW, where’s Craig?

• cur68 - Mar 4, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Its Sunday. I think he spends the weekend with his kids, hangin with his girlfriend or maybe just sleeping in. Guy can’t work 24/7 just to amuse us, y’know? Anyhow, he’s probably going down for Cactus League soon, maybe even tomorrow, so we’ll be getting his “traveling baseball writer” schtick for a week or two. Good stuff. He talks about food, fights he avoids, chubby fans he meets, players he interviews, the ballparks and the alcohol. Its a bit like if Bill Bryson wrote about Spring Training, minus the Britishisms and with less bitching about the architecture.

10. thom4msu - Mar 4, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Miggy can boot one every game they rock 9 out. Go Tigers. Looking forward to watching you in October after a fine summer.

11. knicks4life - Mar 4, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Can they play defense ?

• cmutimmah - Mar 5, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Defense? You act like we have NOT fielded a softball team. Defense… we don’t need no stinkin’ defense… (/sarcasm)

12. stuckonwords - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Cabrera had a slow Spring last year, then went on to do

just fine. Wouldn’t worry about his hitting.

2 of 3 errors came from minor league players who won’t

be making the team. Miguel’s 1st error of Spring Training

is to be expected as he logs some innings at his new

position. He’s also already made some slick grabs and is

showing his defense will likely be “serviceable” at the

very least.
    From MLB.com,

Miggy misplays first spring grounder at third

“I got in front of it. I wanted to take it too quick to

my glove,” Cabrera said of the fourth-inning ground ball

that led to his first error of the spring. “That’s what I

want to learn.”
    “I was fine getting to that ground ball,” he said. “I

felt good about getting in front because it was on my left

side and I was able to move my feet very good. I’ll keep

working in order to make that play.”

He’s going to be fine. This is what Spring Training is

all about.

13. foreverchipper10 - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Le sigh.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2891)