Bryan Stow moved to new rehab facility

Mar 5, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT

Bryan Stow Thanksgiving

No longer in need of constant medical care, beaten Giants fan Bryan Stow was moved to a new rehab facility, his family stated on its blog.

Stow, who was left in a coma after an attack at Dodger Stadium nearly a year ago, now shares an apartment with two other patients, with the group getting full-time assistance. According to the family, “he still needs someone to transfer him to and from his chair, dress him, make his meals, etc.”

Stow also suffers from short-term memory loss. While he’s very much aware and “has a sense of humor again,” he couldn’t recall the surprise birthday party thrown on his behalf even a day later.

Still, the 43-year-old Stow has made remarkable progress given the severity of his injuries. Louie Sanchez and Marvin Norwood have been charged in the beating, and their next court date is set for March 13.

1. El Bravo - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Still sounds like forward progress so that’s good news. Thanks for keeping us up-to-date on this story, HBT.

2. stabonerichard - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Yeah, well, Barry Bonds is still a jerk.

• stabonerichard - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:28 PM

Didn’t you guys ever see the size of that chair Barry had in the clubhouse? I wouldn’t be surprised if it had built-in speakers. Totally unacceptable.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Yeah, heaven forbid someone is comfortable at their place of work. They should have been sitting on 80 year old benches, unsanded. That’ll teach them!

• stabonerichard - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:56 PM

If I can get you photographic evidence of massage buttons on that chair, I bet you’ll be changing your tune right quick.

3. garlicfriesandbaseball - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Way to go Bryan. Hope to see you at a game soon!

4. nomoreseasontix - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:32 PM

That whole thing is terrible, I’m glad he’s doing better….
    With that said, his sisters are hot….

5. cur68 - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:07 PM

A man with a sense of humor is a man with a life. Short term memory problems may or may not resolve, but there are ways around them. I participated in the re-hab of a former pilot who’d been in a horrific helicopter crash. His injuries included a short term memory problem as well. We found he could make new memory and retain them if it was associated with his girlfriend’s perfume. He always performed better in memory exercises if his girlfriend was there and was particularly good at recalling events if she’d been present. It turned out, once his speech was more available to his thoughts and he could tell us, that he could remember better because he associated her perfume’s smell with certain events. I’d bet he’d remember his birthday if he had a taste of the cake (and no, I’m not trying to start a cake v pie fight).

• El Bravo - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:16 PM

So that explains my instant and total omniscience when I smell marijuana.

• cur68 - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:33 PM

I think we could chalk up other things to the smell of Mary Jane, too….

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 5, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I remember that ice cream really kicks ass whenever I smell marijuana.

Three legends off to Cooperstown