Mar 5, 2012, 8:38 PM EDT
The Giants have held Buster Posey out of the lineup for the early part of the Cactus League schedule, but he’s slowly ramping up baseball activities in preparation for his first game action since his horrific injury last May 25.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com today that Posey could make his spring debut “possibly by the end of the week.” It’s likely he’ll be eased back into action as a designated hitter before playing the field.
While Posey said today that his surgically-repaired ankle is feeling the best it has all spring, the exact date of his debut depends on how much progress he makes with sliding and running curves over the next few days.
Posey was able to slide today for the first time since the injury, but Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News notes that he “didn’t do many” and “it wasn’t anywhere close to full speed.” He also did the slides on grass with the help of a pad. Posey was also scheduled to run curves today, but he’s not yet doing hard cuts around the bases. Baggarly writes that the Giants “remain very concerned” about what will happen when he takes his first “jarring” step on a base.
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 43
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 33
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 103
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 67
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)