Mar 5, 2012, 8:38 PM EDT
The Giants have held Buster Posey out of the lineup for the early part of the Cactus League schedule, but he’s slowly ramping up baseball activities in preparation for his first game action since his horrific injury last May 25.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com today that Posey could make his spring debut “possibly by the end of the week.” It’s likely he’ll be eased back into action as a designated hitter before playing the field.
While Posey said today that his surgically-repaired ankle is feeling the best it has all spring, the exact date of his debut depends on how much progress he makes with sliding and running curves over the next few days.
Posey was able to slide today for the first time since the injury, but Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News notes that he “didn’t do many” and “it wasn’t anywhere close to full speed.” He also did the slides on grass with the help of a pad. Posey was also scheduled to run curves today, but he’s not yet doing hard cuts around the bases. Baggarly writes that the Giants “remain very concerned” about what will happen when he takes his first “jarring” step on a base.
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 4
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 16
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 50
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)