Mar 5, 2012, 8:38 PM EST
The Giants have held Buster Posey out of the lineup for the early part of the Cactus League schedule, but he’s slowly ramping up baseball activities in preparation for his first game action since his horrific injury last May 25.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com today that Posey could make his spring debut “possibly by the end of the week.” It’s likely he’ll be eased back into action as a designated hitter before playing the field.
While Posey said today that his surgically-repaired ankle is feeling the best it has all spring, the exact date of his debut depends on how much progress he makes with sliding and running curves over the next few days.
Posey was able to slide today for the first time since the injury, but Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News notes that he “didn’t do many” and “it wasn’t anywhere close to full speed.” He also did the slides on grass with the help of a pad. Posey was also scheduled to run curves today, but he’s not yet doing hard cuts around the bases. Baggarly writes that the Giants “remain very concerned” about what will happen when he takes his first “jarring” step on a base.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)