Mar 5, 2012, 8:38 PM EDT
The Giants have held Buster Posey out of the lineup for the early part of the Cactus League schedule, but he’s slowly ramping up baseball activities in preparation for his first game action since his horrific injury last May 25.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com today that Posey could make his spring debut “possibly by the end of the week.” It’s likely he’ll be eased back into action as a designated hitter before playing the field.
While Posey said today that his surgically-repaired ankle is feeling the best it has all spring, the exact date of his debut depends on how much progress he makes with sliding and running curves over the next few days.
Posey was able to slide today for the first time since the injury, but Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News notes that he “didn’t do many” and “it wasn’t anywhere close to full speed.” He also did the slides on grass with the help of a pad. Posey was also scheduled to run curves today, but he’s not yet doing hard cuts around the bases. Baggarly writes that the Giants “remain very concerned” about what will happen when he takes his first “jarring” step on a base.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 54
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)