CC Sabathia is brown bagging his meals in Yankees camp

Mar 5, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT

Bag Lunch with Fruit

In an effort to lose weight or at least keep himself from packing on more pounds CC Sabathia brings his own breakfast and lunch to Yankees camp each day in a brown paper bag.

Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger notes that those meals are prepared by Sabathia’s personal chef, but still:

Sabathia said doing it this way helps with portion control. Today’s breakfast offering was sausage and eggs and came in a container about the size of a small TV dinner. It’s also easy for Sabathia to direct his chef to prepare healthier offerings when needed.

“A lot of guys do it,” said Sabathia, who admitted that poor eating habits helped contribute to his weight gain last year. “It just sort of happened that it could work out this way.”

As a fat person who recently become somewhat less fat it’s interesting to think about what the 6-foot-7, 300-pound Sabathia must be consuming away from the ballpark if he’s truly eating breakfasts and lunches “the size of a small TV dinner.” If he actually did that every day and ate a similar dinner he’d be shedding weight like crazy, but whatever the case … good for him.

Some advice for CC: Write your name on the bag, because that Jeter guy seems like someone who eats whatever goes unclaimed in the fridge.

1. yankeesfanlen - Mar 5, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Intimating that Beep-beep is a lunch thief is beneath you, Aaron. THE FAT TOAD, on the other hand………..

• buffalochris - Mar 5, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Anyone see the similarity between CC and say Yogi Bear?

CC’s just going for the HIGH Volume lunch items…. now that A-Rod “and a lot of people” are bring their lunch in brown bags CC being the hungry opportunist said “damn, brown bags are looking pretty good these days! I’ll have me a couple of these booboo!”

2. randygnyc - Mar 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Hard to imagine a guy who’s earned a quarter of a billion dollars in his career, scrounging for unclaimed food. Perhaps it’s common place in less professional clubhouses, similar to ones like in Boston. I heard Lackey had been regularly storing left over fried chicken amongst his dirty jock straps, hidden deep in the bowels of his locker. Didn’t stop Becket from sniffing it out and consuming it, usually several days after the chickens original delivery date.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Well I don’t know, randy – those gift baskets don’t pay for themselves. Directly, anyway.

3. cur68 - Mar 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM

I’m not gonna mock anyone for losing weight, so well done Aaron. Good luck to Cap’n Crunch, too. I used to use a Road Runner Logo’d Lunch Box when I had lunches to take anywhere.
    Given the suggestion that Jeter will attempt lunch theft, for some reason I feel that that the phrase: “Bee-Beep! Put CC’s lunch back!” will be uttered in the Yankee’s clubhouse a few times this season. This makes me happy.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Fun fact: CC is the only person I’ve ever known to each Captain Crunch. Makes me wonder if he ate it because they share the same initials.

• 24missed - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Sweet Cur,
      I can’t honestly think of a single Yank that would have the guts to say that phrase in the clubhouse this year. Minus CC. Jeter is still good with his legs, so I think he could dodge CC pretty quickly or else…

• cur68 - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM

24, my dear. You may be right: he’d nick Cap’n Crunch’s lunch using his well honed Leadership Qualities and be just quick enough to turn the double play on the Brown Bag into the rubbish with a backpeddle-jump-throw which will juuuuuust make it, but only ’cause Tex is so tall and can lean way over holding the bin for him. Of course Tex will pull a hammy doing this and be out for a month, but Jeets gets lunch, and that’s the main thing.

• 24missed - Mar 5, 2012 at 3:21 PM

O Cur,

That’s a gem.

Captain Intangibles is the only one who could do it. I take it that Tex is out for the year, right? Jeter has to eat his lunch. Tex will just get used to the lunch shift and decide which hammy he will pull each month.

Priceless.

4. astrosfan75956 - Mar 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM

He probably drinks too much alcohol.

5. phukyouk - Mar 5, 2012 at 1:48 PM

” because that Jeter guy seems like someone who eats whatever goes unclaimed in the fridge.”

But he leaves a signed ball in its place

6. urfinished - Mar 5, 2012 at 1:59 PM

The Jeter joke…wow. Crickets chirping.
    You’re better than that…I hope.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I think those crickets are laughing, actually.

• cur68 - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:46 PM

ROFLMA in fact…

7. proudlycanadian - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Sausage and fried eggs is probably not a good meal if you are trying to lose weight. Too much grease.

• sdelmonte - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:15 PM

It’s very Atkins/South Beach, though. I don’t agree with the lax attitude towards fats in those diets, but a lot of current research shows that protein instead of carbs is the way to go. Just by leaving out the toast and jam, CC is taking a good step.

• 24missed - Mar 5, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Don’t teams have a nutritionist on staff? I can’t believe that this would fly with them. I can’t say I know how the eggs were prepared, so I can’t comment on that. But sausage? There are so many ways that are filling to get protein. You’ve got to worry about his heart and overall health if he’s going to continue to eat like that.

• sportsdrenched.com - Mar 5, 2012 at 3:28 PM

There is more than enough research that suggests macro nutrients don’t matter, it’s all about the calories.

8. deathmonkey41 - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:17 PM

“Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger notes that those meals are prepared by Sabathia’s personal chef”:

Is that Chef Boyardee?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:33 PM

If I had CC’s money, I’d hire Ramsay, a lot.

9. steveohho - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Animal, fruit and nut Fat doesn’t make you fat, but carbs will kill you. We had the fat free mantra for years and people are fatter than ever. Now go and enjoy your saturated fats!

• rooney24 - Mar 5, 2012 at 3:34 PM

If it doesn’t make you fat, it can still give you high cholesterol, which is still a killer. I used to work with a guy that did his own low-carb diet. His doctor said his cholesterol was through the roof and to change his diet immediately or it was going to kill him. The problem isn’t the “fat free mantra”, it is that people just eat too much and don’t exercise.

The key to losing weight is not some new fad, but rather very simple. Eat well (smaller portions, more veggies, fewer fats, fewer carbs) and exercise more. It is really that simple for 95% of people (unless you have some truly odd condition). It is just that most of us don’t want to eat that way, nor do we want to exercise as much as we should. Everybody would rather have a pill to take, or some fad diet that still lets them eat a lot.

• cur68 - Mar 5, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I wrestle beavers and subsist on a diet of pure seal blubber and maple syrup. I have no idea what the state of my arteries are but I do know that I need no pills to help with the wrestling.

10. umrguy42 - Mar 5, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Are guys who brown bag it the new market inefficiency?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

11. uyf1950 - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I wonder if he writes his name on the bag so that no one else eats it.

12. ravenscaps48 - Mar 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

But guys it’s only a subway five dollar foot long…. But CC, you have three of them!

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline