Mar 5, 2012, 2:14 PM EST
Barton, who underwent surgery to repair a partially torn labrum in September, received a second cortisone injection this morning and will be shut down for at least a few days.
Jane Lee of MLB.com speculates that his odds of beginning the season on the active roster are now pretty long and Barton was bad enough last season that he was in a fight for his job anyway.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 43
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 108
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)