Drew Storen’s new nickname is “Tinkerbell”

Mar 5, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT

tinkerbell

I often lament the lack of interesting nicknames in baseball compared to decades ago, so this note from Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post makes me very happy:

Drew Storen overmatched all thee hitters he faced, striking out two and getting a ground ball using only 11 pitches. Afterward, [manager Davey] Johnson coined a nickname for Storen based his proclivity for toying with his delivery.

“I’m going to start calling him Tinkerbell,” Johnson said. “He comes in with all kinds of different little moves. Once the game started, he looked good.”

Odds are that nickname has absolutely zero chance of sticking, but once upon a time in baseball history “Tinkerbell Storen” would be a viable thing to call a pitcher and … well, I think we’d all be better off if things were a little more like that again. All except the guy being called Tinkerbell, of course.

1. deathmonkey41 - Mar 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM

My guess is that the gay community is going to find it offensive.

• Ari Collins - Mar 5, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Uhh. Why? I’m pretty sure the only thing that would be in the last bit offensive to them is the idea that this has anything to do with them.

• deathmonkey41 - Mar 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Uhhhh- because it’s a derogatory term for gay men?

• Ari Collins - Mar 5, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Yes, but it’s also a Disney character, and the nickname has to do with him tending to flit around in his delivery. There’s no reason for anyone to assume this is about homophobia.

Even if they were calling him Tinkerbell because he’s effeminate, well… there’s nothing wrong with an effeminate man. It’s a reflection on someone who thinks it’s an insult, not on the effeminate man.

• deathmonkey41 - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I’m not a fan of the PC police by any means- I’m just saying my money would be on some gay/lesbian group being offended by this nickname even though it has nothing to do with the dude’s sexuality. People get offended by way too much stupid sh#t nowdays.

• Ari Collins - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:33 PM

If something’s actually offensive, people are offended by it. People didn’t magically become more easily offended in the ’80s when “PC” began. They just became more vocal about it when they had the power to say, “Enough.”

• deathmonkey41 - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:12 PM

No, people have become far too sensitive.

• kingofmeh - Mar 5, 2012 at 7:12 PM

DM, your response to people supposedly being oversensitive is to anticipate people objecting to the nickname?

isn’t the best example of “people … becom[ing] far too sensitive” getting bothered by hypothetical things that nobody has actually said yet, but might say?

• deathmonkey41 - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM

And what is offensive is completely subjective. I’m sure not everyone of a certain gender, nationality, or sexual oreintation are all offended by the exact same things.

• Ari Collins - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:02 PM

I’m not sure what that has to do with anything. Just because it only offends 10% of the population doesn’t mean you should be saying it.

2. randygnyc - Mar 5, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I’m sure when an old time pitcher was called twinkle-toes, and it stuck, it was a compliment. Also, it wasn’t based on a widely known, mythical, movie character. Tinker bell won’t stick because it is a derogatory, pejorative, equation to an effeminate, fairy.

3. Tim OShenko - Mar 5, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I can see this taking off, actually. Imagine, if you will, Storen in a bit of a jam – say, runners on 2nd and 3rd, one out, one run lead. Then the Jumbotron lights up with a plea to the crowd: “Don’t you believe? If you believe, clap your hands! Don’t let Tink die!” Tinkerbell strikes out the next two batters. Applause, bows, exuent omnes.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:39 PM

That would actually be awesome.

Of course, we’d have to do a TON of pixie dust testing to see if it’s a PED.

• cur68 - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:44 PM

And pay a TON of money to Disney, since they’re not a group noted for their generosity towards others using their copywrited property. Any bets on how long til we get a follow up post on Disney issuing a “desist or face lawsuit” to The Rangers?

• natstowngreg - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:09 PM

The Nats traded Storen to the Rangers? Huh?

Storen coming in to pitch the 9th at Nats Park to the accompaniment of “When You Wish Upon a Star?” Perhaps for a visiting closer, but not for the home team’s closer.

• Ari Collins - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Copyright does not extend to nicknames. If the Nats were to try to sell Tinkerbell jerseys, that would cause a ruckus.

• cur68 - Mar 5, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Paying attention fail on my part there…you are of course right, Greg. I was looking at the header picture of Mike Adams, which is attached to his story above, in which the word “Texas”is clearly seen on his jersey. Natch, I typed “The Rangers” when I should have typed “The Nationals”. Since the names are not even close in terms of spelling etc, I’m going to say that all MLB pitchers look the same to me. That’s what I get for tinkering I guess…or something.

• natstowngreg - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I’ll buy the “all pitchers look the same” line. :)

4. proudlycanadian - Mar 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Speaking of bells, Ding-a-ling might work. When he enters a game, the fans could sing the old Chuck Berry hit “My Ding-a-ling”.

5. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Well, Drew Storn DOES look like a clone of Julia Roberts.

6. Joe - Mar 5, 2012 at 3:37 PM

“Tink” would be a good, old-school nickname.

7. brockw82 - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM

I’m gay and it doesn’t bother me…

• El Bravo - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:45 PM

I’m straight and bothered…but that’s just me normally.

8. jwbiii - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM

George “Twinkletoes” Selkirk

Given the nickname “Twinkletoes” by teammates in Newark because of his style of running on the balls of his feet

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto