Lenny Dykstra sentenced to three years in state prison

Mar 5, 2012, 4:06 PM EDT

Former Major League baseball player Lenny Dykstra appears in Los Angeles Superior Court for an arraignment in San Fernando, California Reuters

When last we checked in on Lenny Dykstra he was living in a Los Angeles rehab center, seemingly showing some semblance of self awareness for the first time in a long time while awaiting his sentencing for a grand theft auto plea.

That sentencing arrived today and a judge ruled that Dykstra will spend three years in a California state prison, refusing to allow him to withdraw a no-contest plea because, according to the Associated Press, “the theft scheme showed sophistication and extensive planning.”

And if Dykstra has become known for anything lately it’s certainly “sophistication and extensive planning.”

Here’s a little more from the AP:

Dykstra, 49, initially pleaded not guilty to 25 counts after police arrested him and found cocaine, Ecstasy and synthetic human growth hormone at his Los Angeles home last April. Prosecutors said Dykstra and two co-defendants tried to lease and then sell high-end cars from several car dealerships by claiming credit through a phony business. … Dykstra changed his plea in October to no contest and in exchange prosecutors dropped 21 counts.

Later this year he’ll also stand trial for federal bankruptcy charges.

1. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Wow. Look at that grey old piece of filth. He’s as old as Rockies pitcher Jamie Moyer.

• stex52 - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I’m surprised at the outburst of compassion that is getting you so many “Thumbs Downs”. If there is one guy who has used up all of his chances out of prison, it would have to be Dykstra.

• jimbo1949 - Mar 5, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Must not like the Jamie Moyer association. Why would someone put the two of them in the same thought?

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Well said, jimbo. I compared because I was making a point about which direction you can go with your life. The road Dykstra took is as low as it gets.

I didn’t expect my statement to be so hated but the wind blows all sorts of ways on HBT comment threads.

2. namriverrat69 - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:28 PM

It is really sad to see a guy who was on top of the world when he played baseball and made so many bad choices to end up where he is now. I hope other athletes and people in general take note of how disastrous your life can become due to poor choices. We are all responsible for the choices we make in life and thus are personally held accountable for them.

I wish Lenny well and he is able to learn from previous mistakesd and lead a productive life in the future.

• paperlions - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Ah yes, because poor choices are a new thing to humans. Oddly enough (or not), people prone to make poor choices are also the people are least likely to learn from the mistakes of others. Indeed, serial poor-choice makers lack the fundamental ability to learn from their own mistakes, making learning from other a near certain impossibility.

• paperlions - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:10 PM

For example, I have yet to learn to carefully re-read my posts because HBT’s lack of an edit function makes them impossible to correct after posting….if I can’t learn that from my own mistakes, I sure as hell am not going to glean that lesson from the mis-posts of others.

• florida727 - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Lenny was watching replays of himself on the ESPN Classic cable channel. When you watch yourself on cable, you see yourself committing errors in the outfield. When you commit errors in the outfield, you retire. When you retire, you replay those errors in your head. When you replay those errors in your head, you commit felonies. When you commit felonies, you get sentenced to jail time. Don’t get sentenced to jail time, get rid of cable. Get Direct TV.

• jimbo1949 - Mar 5, 2012 at 7:54 PM

outstanding!

3. rip4gehrig - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM

How in the hell did Lenny and the other two stooges really think they could get away with leasing and then selling cars?

• El Bravo - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Seriously, this is not a new idea and any loopholes in the leasing process have surely been closed over twenty years ago…the big dummy!

• alan3008 - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Let’s face it, Dykstra, along with the majority of MLB players, are not the fastest rockets in the missile program. Great at sports, but dumber than a box of rocks.

4. mindelm42 - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:37 PM

NAILED him, huh?

5. joeflaccosunibrow - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:37 PM

I guess when someone suggested to Lenny that he play GTA, he did not have a gaming system and took them literally.

6. whatthehellisansky - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM

You think theyll call him ‘Nails’ inside?

maybe Nailee?

• warrenlevine - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM

More like “Nailed.”

7. mdpickles - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I couldn’t help it: Charlie Sheen himself was a pitcher on his high school’s baseball team. At the time of filming Major League, his own fastball topped out at 85 miles per hour. (In 2011, Sheen said that he had used steroids for nearly two months to improve his athletic abilities in the film.)

8. bloodysock - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Lenny gets three years in the slammer and the ad header at the top is for a five sausage pizza. The irony.

• cur68 - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I got a “groupon” add. Double irony.

9. unlost1 - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM

i think he even auctioned off his world series ring

• chiadam - Mar 5, 2012 at 6:20 PM

He’s $29 million in the hole. It’s a safe bet that he did.

• jwbiii - Mar 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Yep.

10. cup0pizza - Mar 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Throw away the key

11. namriverrat69 - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:11 PM

I need to amend my previous comment. I saw Dykstra give part of his statement at his sentencing hearing which was recorded and played on the local news and he said what he did was wrong but claimed he was not a criminal. He just doesn’t get it.

12. drubeatz - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:08 PM

It was downhill for this guy as soon as he went to the Phillies.

13. gvgranny - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Who the heck is Lenny Dykstra? Nice reporting. Guess nobody needs to go to journalism school, huh? WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHY and HOW!

• alan3008 - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Where do you live, in a cave? Dykstra was a major league baseball player with the Philadelphia Phillies and the Mets. He played in a World Series with the Mets when they won in 1986 and with the Phillies when they lost in 1993. He is a three time All Star. Was a runner up MVP one year, and won a Silver Slugger award the same year. He got mixed up with a long list of legal issues since retiring.

• gvgranny - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Not a cave; just AZ. :) Of course, I know who he is. Just trying to make a point. Duh.

• paperlions - Mar 6, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Actually, knowing your audience is a huge part of any writing…in this case, it is a continued story and the target audience already knows who, what, when, why, and how….just not the ultimate conclusion. It’s a blog, you don’t spend 90% of the space repeating what your target audience already knows.

14. jessicabrown75 - Mar 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I’m a single mother of five amazing children. Lenny saw that I was struggling as I solely support my children, their dad is certified Insane and does NOTHIG but create harm to the kids and I. Very abusive and has NEVER pai child support-he has seen them less than a handful of times over the past 10 years. I was let go from my job and began modeling and acting. I’m pretty successful but let’s face it, raising and supporting five kids on your own in Laguna beach is har an expensive yet rewarding. :). They are the lives of my life. Lenny defrauded and fooled my children and I into thinking he wanted to help after finding out my credit scores were all in the 900s. He accessed all o my information and applied for over 50 cc, loans, CARS, etc. he succeeded with a Porsche purchase from Newport beach auto center as the dealership lie stating they “delivered the car to me”. I wasn’t there. I had no part. Not only is my credit now below 500, which is devastating after years of hard work as a single mother receiving help from no one not even family, but I was also charged w four felonies including grand theft auto for what he did. Yes it was dismissed but the trauma, heart ache, cost, etc. to my children and i associated with these charges were too much to bare. I was even cuffed in front of my children and forced to make bail of $5000, which I didn’t have, before released. My children were temporarily taken from me and weren’t allowed to see me at all and I’m all they know; it has cost me my entire savings for my daughters college-there is NOTHIG left and she attends school in the fall; I was forced to move out of my home because I couldn’t affor it anymore and my children and I are totally traumatized. There is so much more. I have always said, “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.” and I do feel this way very much. I know something good will come out of this, whether it’s monetary or something as simple as we are stronger now. I usually just walk away but I will say this, ” if this mother fucker gets a “tell all” book deal, I’m taking him down and suing his loser conartist ass for all and more!!! He is the worst man I have ever met! If you want my story I’m willing to tell. There I so much more and my kids and others are very credible witnesses. They range in age from 18-11.5. jessicabrown75@gmail.com

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS