Mar 5, 2012, 4:06 PM EDT
When last we checked in on Lenny Dykstra he was living in a Los Angeles rehab center, seemingly showing some semblance of self awareness for the first time in a long time while awaiting his sentencing for a grand theft auto plea.
That sentencing arrived today and a judge ruled that Dykstra will spend three years in a California state prison, refusing to allow him to withdraw a no-contest plea because, according to the Associated Press, “the theft scheme showed sophistication and extensive planning.”
And if Dykstra has become known for anything lately it’s certainly “sophistication and extensive planning.”
Here’s a little more from the AP:
Dykstra, 49, initially pleaded not guilty to 25 counts after police arrested him and found cocaine, Ecstasy and synthetic human growth hormone at his Los Angeles home last April. Prosecutors said Dykstra and two co-defendants tried to lease and then sell high-end cars from several car dealerships by claiming credit through a phony business. … Dykstra changed his plea in October to no contest and in exchange prosecutors dropped 21 counts.
Later this year he’ll also stand trial for federal bankruptcy charges.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 7
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 31
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)