Mar 5, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT
The trial hasn’t even started yet, but Mets owner Fred Wilpon is already going to have to shell out as much as $83.3 million to the trustee recovering funds from the losers in Bernard Madoff’s Ponzi scheme.
That was the ruling from U.S. District Court Judge Jed S. Rakoff on Monday. The two sides will go to trial on March 19 over the additional $303 million that trustee Irving Picard is seeking. For Picard to extract that much from Wilpon’s wallet, he’ll need to prove to a jury that the defendants were “willfully blind” to the fraud.
Rakoff had previously ruled that Picard couldn’t sue the Wilpons for the full $1 billion he wanted, lowering that amount instead to the $386 million they were said to profit in the two years preceding Madoff’s arrest. Today’s $83.3 million comes out of that.
It’s unclear if the Wilpons have $83.3 million to give away at this time. They have been trying to sell minority shares of the Mets, with mixed reports of their success in the endeavor. If the trial goes poorly later this month, it figures to be difficult for them to keep the team.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 0
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 51
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 77
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 65
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)