Mar 5, 2012, 11:59 AM EDT
The trial hasn’t even started yet, but Mets owner Fred Wilpon is already going to have to shell out as much as $83.3 million to the trustee recovering funds from the losers in Bernard Madoff’s Ponzi scheme.
That was the ruling from U.S. District Court Judge Jed S. Rakoff on Monday. The two sides will go to trial on March 19 over the additional $303 million that trustee Irving Picard is seeking. For Picard to extract that much from Wilpon’s wallet, he’ll need to prove to a jury that the defendants were “willfully blind” to the fraud.
Rakoff had previously ruled that Picard couldn’t sue the Wilpons for the full $1 billion he wanted, lowering that amount instead to the $386 million they were said to profit in the two years preceding Madoff’s arrest. Today’s $83.3 million comes out of that.
It’s unclear if the Wilpons have $83.3 million to give away at this time. They have been trying to sell minority shares of the Mets, with mixed reports of their success in the endeavor. If the trial goes poorly later this month, it figures to be difficult for them to keep the team.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)