Ryan Madson sidelined by “a little irritation in his arm”

Mar 5, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

Cincinnati Reds Photo Day Getty Images

Ryan Madson was unavailable for the Reds’ first two spring training games because of what manager Dusty Baker describes as “a little irritation in his arm.”

More specifically Madson has a minor elbow injury, but according to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com the Reds aren’t particularly worried about his status yet.

Madson was on the verge of signing a four-year, $44 million deal with the Phillies, but once that offer dried up he managed only a one-year, $8.5 million contract from the Reds.

With a strong season as a full-time closer he should be able to recoup much of that lost money, which is why staying healthy is so crucial for the 31-year-old right-hander as he replaces Francisco Cordero in Cincinnati.

1. paperlions - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Baker probably had him throw 90 pitches during live BP.

• Alex K - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM

That’s not the Dusty I know! The Dusty I know would have him throw 120 pitches. We can’t baby pitcher, you know.

2. El Bravo - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Not sure if Utley’s Hair is reading this, but Go Bulls…they have had their revenge in those fiesty Sixers. Also, go Braves (you see? I made it about baseball after all.)

• El Bravo - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM

in = against

• Utley's Hair - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:02 PM

No, I’m not reading this. But that game was hard fought and could’ve gone either way. Good game. Let’s eat…cake.

• El Bravo - Mar 5, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Well, if you do end up reading this and commenting on it, allow me to reiterate GO BULLS and also provide you this analogy to complete SAT style:

The BULLS are to PIE as the SIXERS are to ______.

(hint: pie > cake)

• Utley's Hair - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM

Bull pies? Are they anything like cow pies? ‘Cause I could definitely believe that. And the 76ers are most definitely cake…maybe red velvet, ’cause they’re velvety smooth.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Oh…I mean i WOULD say that…ya know…if I was reading this and all…

3. randygnyc - Mar 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Anyone else think that there is really no such thing as “minor elbow pain” in baseball?

4. Utley's Hair - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Maybe the irritation is a delayed reaction to signing Boras and what happened to his multiyear windfall?

5. metalhead65 - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:46 PM

paging Dr.Jobe you have a call from the reds on line 1 please

6. tropboi11 - Mar 5, 2012 at 3:15 PM

I would like to draft him on my fantasy team if he gets better

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3256)