Mar 5, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Ryan Madson was unavailable for the Reds’ first two spring training games because of what manager Dusty Baker describes as “a little irritation in his arm.”
More specifically Madson has a minor elbow injury, but according to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com the Reds aren’t particularly worried about his status yet.
Madson was on the verge of signing a four-year, $44 million deal with the Phillies, but once that offer dried up he managed only a one-year, $8.5 million contract from the Reds.
With a strong season as a full-time closer he should be able to recoup much of that lost money, which is why staying healthy is so crucial for the 31-year-old right-hander as he replaces Francisco Cordero in Cincinnati.
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)