Mar 5, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Ryan Madson was unavailable for the Reds’ first two spring training games because of what manager Dusty Baker describes as “a little irritation in his arm.”
More specifically Madson has a minor elbow injury, but according to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com the Reds aren’t particularly worried about his status yet.
Madson was on the verge of signing a four-year, $44 million deal with the Phillies, but once that offer dried up he managed only a one-year, $8.5 million contract from the Reds.
With a strong season as a full-time closer he should be able to recoup much of that lost money, which is why staying healthy is so crucial for the 31-year-old right-hander as he replaces Francisco Cordero in Cincinnati.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)