Mar 5, 2012, 7:40 PM EST
Shaun Marcum was bothered by some shoulder stiffness late last week, but the Brewers still had him penciled in to make his Cactus League debut this Saturday against the Giants. Not anymore.
Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that Marcum felt continued discomfort playing catch over the past two days and was scratched from Saturday’s start after being examined by team physician Dr. William Raasch.
The setback means that Marcum will not have a chance to get fully stretched out during spring training, but Brewers’ manager Ron Roenicke hasn’t ruled him out for the start of the season.
“He won’t be stretched out to 90 pitches, but if we get him to 75 pitches, we feel pretty good about him going into the season,” Roenicke said.
It’s worth noting that Marcum skipped a start last spring with shoulder tightness, but managed to start the season on time and posted an outstanding 2.21 ERA and 34/11 K/BB ratio across 36 2/3 innings over six April starts. The Brewers are naturally hoping they’ll have similar luck this year.
UPDATE: Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Marcum has been shut down for the next 2-3 three days, likely after receiving a cortisone injection. However, the Brewers remain confident that he’ll be ready for the start of the regular season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)