Mar 5, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT
Shaun Marcum was bothered by some shoulder stiffness late last week, but the Brewers still had him penciled in to make his Cactus League debut this Saturday against the Giants. Not anymore.
Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that Marcum felt continued discomfort playing catch over the past two days and was scratched from Saturday’s start after being examined by team physician Dr. William Raasch.
The setback means that Marcum will not have a chance to get fully stretched out during spring training, but Brewers’ manager Ron Roenicke hasn’t ruled him out for the start of the season.
“He won’t be stretched out to 90 pitches, but if we get him to 75 pitches, we feel pretty good about him going into the season,” Roenicke said.
It’s worth noting that Marcum skipped a start last spring with shoulder tightness, but managed to start the season on time and posted an outstanding 2.21 ERA and 34/11 K/BB ratio across 36 2/3 innings over six April starts. The Brewers are naturally hoping they’ll have similar luck this year.
UPDATE: Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Marcum has been shut down for the next 2-3 three days, likely after receiving a cortisone injection. However, the Brewers remain confident that he’ll be ready for the start of the regular season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)