Shaun Marcum is still dealing with shoulder soreness

Mar 5, 2012, 7:40 PM EDT

Shaun Marcum Getty Getty Images

Shaun Marcum was bothered by some shoulder stiffness late last week, but the Brewers still had him penciled in to make his Cactus League debut this Saturday against the Giants. Not anymore.

Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that Marcum felt continued discomfort playing catch over the past two days and was scratched from Saturday’s start after being examined by team physician Dr. William Raasch.

The setback means that Marcum will not have a chance to get fully stretched out during spring training, but Brewers’ manager Ron Roenicke hasn’t ruled him out for the start of the season.

“He won’t be stretched out to 90 pitches, but if we get him to 75 pitches, we feel pretty good about him going into the season,” Roenicke said.

It’s worth noting that Marcum skipped a start last spring with shoulder tightness, but managed to start the season on time and posted an outstanding 2.21 ERA and 34/11 K/BB ratio across 36 2/3 innings over six April starts. The Brewers are naturally hoping they’ll have similar luck this year.

UPDATE: Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Marcum has been shut down for the next 2-3 three days, likely after receiving a cortisone injection. However, the Brewers remain confident that he’ll be ready for the start of the regular season.

1. lameasish - Mar 5, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Still glad we got lawrie for him. I loved marcum while he was a jay but no one north of the boarder is upset with the trade.

• jason1214 - Mar 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I think its hilarious you got Lawrie for him, way to blow your best trade chip on a non ace Milwaukee. The funniest part? Lawrie will be LIGHT years better than the 3 years of Aramis Ramirez.

• hoober27 - Mar 5, 2012 at 8:54 PM

It’s bittersweet to watch Lawrie blossom into a potential superstar, but we wouldn’t have made the playoffs last year without Marcum. Will potentially be harder to deal with in a few years, but last year was amazing despite the earlier-than-planned exit from the playoffs. 2008 was a fantasy season with CC steering the ship and as a fan I was just happy to make the postseason. Last year was the first time in my lifetime (28) that the Brewers fielded a team that played to its potential and gave us the best regular season in team history. The playoffs are a crapshoot and we took the eventual champs to Game 6 in the NLCS. I’ll take those memories with/thanks to Marcum over another 5 years of above average offense and terrible pitching while watching other teams play into October.

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Marcum was a great pickup for the Brewers needs last year. He had a lot to do with the Brewers making it to the NLCS. Maybe you missed that part. Lawrie has been good so far no doubt but there’s not too many Brewer fans who aren’t happy with the results of that trade. The Brewers needed pitching and they had to give up talent to get talent. Both teams and fans can be happy.

• Ben - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:16 AM

2011 WAR:

Brett Lawrie-2.7 (In 171 PA)
        Shaun Marcum-2.7.

So.. yeah. Pretty much a straight-up lose for Milwaukee.

• jason1214 - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:44 PM

I see I touched a nerve on this subject.

2. lameasish - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:26 PM

I agree with the brewcrew, it’s not often that both teams can come away from a trade and be happy but in this case, it happened.

3. jason1214 - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM

All of your comments are accurate. But long term it will hurt, especially if you don’t re-sign Greinke, and frankly Marcum to me isn’t going to be worth the 13-15 million a year he could command on FA market and I don’t see Milwaukee being able to go above 10 a year for him.
    I’m hoping my Cubs can get some of Toronto’s war chest for Garza.

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Lawrie was a prospect. The Brewers got proven talent for him. When ya give up a prospect for proven talent you always get a more expensive player with less years left of team control. Good pitching is always harder to get than a bat. There will be no looking back at that trade with any disdain.

• jason1214 - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I realize all of that. What I’m saying is, if you haven’t noticed, big market teams are getting HUGE TV deals, and frankly that will put the squeeze more on the small market teams. Its good for Milwaukee now, but might not be so good in 3-5 years. Don’t kid yourself its going to be difficult for Milwaukee to resign Marcum/Greinke.

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I’m well aware that tv deals are the most important thing when it comes to revenue streams. I’m also well aware that re-signing Marcum and/or Greinke will be very expensive and therefore difficult. It doesn’t change the fact though that the Brewers were better of getting these 2 pitchers for 2 seasons than having Lawrie. Don’t forget Lawrie was playing 2B when he was with the Brewers so je was blocked bu Rickie Weeks. Him playing 3B now is going to have growing pains that the Brewers were not in a position to wait to see if he figures it out.

4. dirtyharry1971 - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:12 PM

add this guy to the long list of bluejay busts

• jason1214 - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:22 PM

I wouldn’t say Marcum was a bust. I personally like McGowan more.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet