Swarm of bees delays Diamondbacks-Giants game, sends Angel Pagan running for cover

Mar 5, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT

Giants Diamondbacks Spring Baseball AP

Yesterday afternoon’s Giants-Diamondbacks game was delayed for 41 minutes when a swarm of bees made its way into right field.

Fans along the first base dugout were evacuated, Ian Kennedy‘s first spring start was cut short, and the Associated Press reports that “the Diamondbacks’ field crew used a combination of cotton candy and lemonade to help disperse” the bees.

Arizona center fielder Chris Young described the scene:

I didn’t see them at first I just heard them. I am not afraid of one or two of them. I wouldn’t flinch at that. When you start talking about 500, 600 of them yea, I am afraid of that. I would be afraid of anything of that many. If there were that many mosquitoes, I would be afraid of that.

I choose to take Young’s “I would be afraid of anything of that many” quote literally and imagine him running away screaming at the sight of, say, 500 paperclips or 600 packing peanuts. That would be a helluva phobia.

Angel Pagan‘s plans were equally amusing: “I was right next to the bathroom in case I had to lock myself in.”

1. wlschneider09 - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I thought Berkman was the only killer B still around.

2. l0yalr0yal - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:26 AM

I really hate to do this, especially here, but I could use some advice as to where I can listen to some spring training baseball, via stream? I have an android and would prefer to find a way to do it through my phone. I’m willing to pay the $15 for the MLB.com At Bat app, but don’t know if it’s going to have spring ball.

• sportsdrenched.com - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Yes, the Atbat App is the way to go. I downloaded it last week and it’s like having a new toy.

If there is a radio broadcast you can pick it up. Even if the KC affiliate isn’t carrying the game some times there will be an MLB.com feed you can listen to.

• l0yalr0yal - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Thank you! Sorry to post about it on here, but I figured this will be a non-story so it might be safe.

3. Old Gator - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Pagan reminds me of Richard Widmark as the army general in The Swarm, who worried that the killer bees might adjust to the military’s tactics. “General,” Richard Chamberlain asks him, “are you suggesting that you think these bees are intelligent?” To which Widmark replies, with a straight – even sage – expression, “My experiences have taught me always to assume my enemy is just as intelligent as I am.”

That’s the level to which Richard Widmark’s career had dwindled down. Ah well.

On the other hand, maybe this is the karma the Jints get for the way their fans treated Ryan Braun yesterday?

• lanflfan - Mar 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Karma is a female bee? I think she is a female dog?

I’m guessing Mr. Widmark’s career fell off when Lucy Ricardo stole a grapefruit from his tree and hid under the bear rug.

• Old Gator - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:15 PM

I’ll always remember him as Jim Bowie in The Alamo, and/or as Captain Jones in Hell and High Water. Watching him in that godawful bee movie…eh…stung, you know?

Three legends off to Cooperstown