Mar 5, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Yesterday afternoon’s Giants-Diamondbacks game was delayed for 41 minutes when a swarm of bees made its way into right field.
Fans along the first base dugout were evacuated, Ian Kennedy‘s first spring start was cut short, and the Associated Press reports that “the Diamondbacks’ field crew used a combination of cotton candy and lemonade to help disperse” the bees.
Arizona center fielder Chris Young described the scene:
I didn’t see them at first I just heard them. I am not afraid of one or two of them. I wouldn’t flinch at that. When you start talking about 500, 600 of them yea, I am afraid of that. I would be afraid of anything of that many. If there were that many mosquitoes, I would be afraid of that.
I choose to take Young’s “I would be afraid of anything of that many” quote literally and imagine him running away screaming at the sight of, say, 500 paperclips or 600 packing peanuts. That would be a helluva phobia.
Angel Pagan‘s plans were equally amusing: “I was right next to the bathroom in case I had to lock myself in.”
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 35
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 47
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 27
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)