Mar 5, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Yesterday afternoon’s Giants-Diamondbacks game was delayed for 41 minutes when a swarm of bees made its way into right field.
Fans along the first base dugout were evacuated, Ian Kennedy‘s first spring start was cut short, and the Associated Press reports that “the Diamondbacks’ field crew used a combination of cotton candy and lemonade to help disperse” the bees.
Arizona center fielder Chris Young described the scene:
I didn’t see them at first I just heard them. I am not afraid of one or two of them. I wouldn’t flinch at that. When you start talking about 500, 600 of them yea, I am afraid of that. I would be afraid of anything of that many. If there were that many mosquitoes, I would be afraid of that.
I choose to take Young’s “I would be afraid of anything of that many” quote literally and imagine him running away screaming at the sight of, say, 500 paperclips or 600 packing peanuts. That would be a helluva phobia.
Angel Pagan‘s plans were equally amusing: “I was right next to the bathroom in case I had to lock myself in.”
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 58
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 74
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)