Mar 5, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
Yesterday afternoon’s Giants-Diamondbacks game was delayed for 41 minutes when a swarm of bees made its way into right field.
Fans along the first base dugout were evacuated, Ian Kennedy‘s first spring start was cut short, and the Associated Press reports that “the Diamondbacks’ field crew used a combination of cotton candy and lemonade to help disperse” the bees.
Arizona center fielder Chris Young described the scene:
I didn’t see them at first I just heard them. I am not afraid of one or two of them. I wouldn’t flinch at that. When you start talking about 500, 600 of them yea, I am afraid of that. I would be afraid of anything of that many. If there were that many mosquitoes, I would be afraid of that.
I choose to take Young’s “I would be afraid of anything of that many” quote literally and imagine him running away screaming at the sight of, say, 500 paperclips or 600 packing peanuts. That would be a helluva phobia.
Angel Pagan‘s plans were equally amusing: “I was right next to the bathroom in case I had to lock myself in.”
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 46
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 23
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)