Mar 5, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
Yesterday afternoon’s Giants-Diamondbacks game was delayed for 41 minutes when a swarm of bees made its way into right field.
Fans along the first base dugout were evacuated, Ian Kennedy‘s first spring start was cut short, and the Associated Press reports that “the Diamondbacks’ field crew used a combination of cotton candy and lemonade to help disperse” the bees.
Arizona center fielder Chris Young described the scene:
I didn’t see them at first I just heard them. I am not afraid of one or two of them. I wouldn’t flinch at that. When you start talking about 500, 600 of them yea, I am afraid of that. I would be afraid of anything of that many. If there were that many mosquitoes, I would be afraid of that.
I choose to take Young’s “I would be afraid of anything of that many” quote literally and imagine him running away screaming at the sight of, say, 500 paperclips or 600 packing peanuts. That would be a helluva phobia.
Angel Pagan‘s plans were equally amusing: “I was right next to the bathroom in case I had to lock myself in.”
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)