“Ur-ine Sam-ple! [clap clap clap-clap-clap]”

Mar 5, 2012, 7:52 AM EST

Ryan Braun

It’s entirely possible that Ryan Braun did something last fall that he won’t be proud of one day.  But if you were one of the Giants fans at Maryvale Stadium for the Giants-Brewers split squad game yesterday involved in this, you probably need to examine your life a little bit.

Not so much to figure out your maturity level, but in order to come up with a more clever way to taunt Braun than to chant “ur-ine sam-ple”:

The game was at Milwaukee’s Maryvale Baseball Park and Brewers fans gave Braun a standing ovation when he came to bat. But about half of the 6,619 fans cheered for the Giants and greeted Braun with catcalls. They serenaded the Brewers slugger with chants of “Ur-ine Sam-ple!” before Braun struck out swinging against Madison Bumgarner in his first at-bat. His second time up, Braun was greeted with chants of “Cheater!” before looking at strike three.

1. danandcasey - Mar 5, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Clearly, these fans are not in TBSOTL yet. Of course, that is why they have Spring training. I am sure by the time Braun comes to bat for the first time in the regular season, the fans will have sharpened their wit.

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I wouldn’t count on that. These are the people who have a history of chucking batteries at opposing left fielders.

• lanflfan - Mar 5, 2012 at 3:12 PM

You mean someone other than philly phans throw objects at opposing players? Surely not!

• blabidibla - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Says the Dodger fan.

Bryan Stow is going to take is going to take whatever money McCourt can’t steal due to your classy fan base.

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Correction: Says the Dodgers fan who watched you class A clowns whine and cry so much at the Stick that they had to build barriers to keep the bleacher rats in their seats.

Also, if you possessed one ounce of a clue, you would know that this and many other Dodgers fans were appalled by what happened to Stow, and we all want him to get every penny he richly deserves from Frank McCourt for the latter’s total lack of decency and logic by cutting back on in-stadium security.

Yeah, you stay irrelevant now, ya hear?

• blabidibla - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Stow won’t get his payday from McCourt. He’ll get it from the Dodgers long after McCourt is lounging in his Dodger paid for parking lot in the Bahamas. Giants and Dodger Fans can agree on one thing. McCourt is/was bad for baseball.

All kidding aside, I acknowledge many Dodger and Giants fans saw the error of the letting this rivalry get out of control after the Stow beating. As a Giants fan living in SoCal, i did see much regret over the incident.

Personally I had stopped attending Dodger Stadium 5 years earlier after having brought my wife and 7 month old baby to the park. We had beer thrown at us in my seats, then had the pleasure of being “escorted” by a gang of peanut throwing fans all the way to our car. Once locked inside, my escorts gave my car a lovely rocking for several minutes until they got bored. Lot’s of Dodger fans watched and were amused. We were terrified. My offense? I put a little Giants hat on my kid. Not one Dodger fan came our defense and security was no where around.

So you can probably understand my shock when a Dodger fan wants to criticize Giants fans for that 1981 battery throwing incident less than a year after fans of his team nearly killed a man in their parking lot.

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 5, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I’m with you on keeping it real. I can understand how much you would despise Dodgers fans for going to a game at Chavez Ravine and being treated poorly. I get it. I hear you. It wasn’t me that did it, but I admit that I have said some mean things to fellows at the ballpark that later I realized were wrong, improper, and might have made people feel crappy about me and my team.

But in keeping it real, the battery chucking at Candlestick pretty much went on for a decade. And there were plenty of games I attended to at the ‘Stick that involved security needng to separate crazed masses from my blue hatted self. Being called a “Faggot” was the least of my concerns during those wonderful trips up North. And who could blame ‘em, right? Me with my high faluting Dodger fanness, paying tickets to watch my team take on your team. Especially since my team was in the process of winning 5 World Series while your team had not won any in about 5 decades.

So do me a favor, and don’t bother rationalizing your own prejudices and biases. My original comment was a lighthearted jab at Giants fans, especially those who still seethe everytime they see a blue LA cap ontop my head. Ain’t no different than how San Franners treated NY Giants fans or New Orleans Saints fans while visiting the ‘Stick during this year.

Yup. There are assholes everywhere. But not everyone is an asshole.

• blabidibla - Mar 5, 2012 at 7:06 PM

My first comment was meant as light heatedly as yours. And this is how things spin out of control.

I could bring up the LA Raider fans in response, but as they actually drove that team back to Oakland with their antics I can’t really go there anymore after claiming ancient history with your initial post.

So you know, My buddy and I make a point of welcoming Dodger fans to our beautiful park on the Bay. We love it when you come and spend your hard earned money on tickets, food, parking, etc… Then we can afford better players to continue our recent dominance of your team.

Tell you what, to show you there are no hard feelings, I’d be happy to buy you the first beer next time you head up.

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Just so I can beat a dead horse, and with the goal of keeping everything real, your implication that every Dodgers fan is guilty of Bryan Stow’s injuries came through loud and clear. The concept of Giants’ bleacher bums throwing batteries at the heads of players on the field, I thought, was a proper example of SF Giant boorishness. Kind of like when your pitcher smacks our catcher in the head with a baseball bat because, see, the pitch was sort of inside.

And you bring up the Raiders.

Okee dokee.

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I’ll tell you what, Bla-bla. I’ll skip the beer but will be more than happy to smoke a Mendocino joint with ya.

• blabidibla - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:43 PM

common ground. I knew we could do it.

2. phillyphreak - Mar 5, 2012 at 8:10 AM

“Giants fans, people. The same ones who cheered wildly for Barry Bonds for years. Oy.”

Haha. Zing.

• ireportyoudecide - Mar 5, 2012 at 12:37 PM

What MLB rule is Bonds alleged to have violated? I believe the current rules where not in effect until 2004 so it’s not really the same thing at all.

• pellypell - Mar 5, 2012 at 12:49 PM

True, it was also legal to own a slave in the 1800’s, doesn’t make it right.

• vivabear - Mar 5, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Testing wasn’t in place until 2004, however, a Fay Vincent memo to all clubs in 1991 did specifically address PEDs being banned substances in the MLB. Evidence of a player using PEDs would make them subject to discipline. Not to mention steroids being made illegal without prescription since being added to the FDA’s controlled substances list in the late 80s.

I see your point, it is debateable how similar the two situations are.

• phillyphreak - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:26 PM

@Ireport: It’s irony. Really funny too.

@vivabear: That memo was useless and not enforceable.

• lanflfan - Mar 5, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Bonds violated rule 1.6.9.58.7.4: His head was too big. Draw your own conclusions on how his head grew that massive in such a short amount of time.

• vivabear - Mar 5, 2012 at 3:14 PM

phreak – that’s kind of beside the point…it still existed.

3. ogre2010 - Mar 5, 2012 at 8:10 AM

What a funny article!! Giant Fans need to get high with Tim L

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:34 AM

This Dodgers fan would love to get high with Tim L. And then I’ll give him a laced brownie and watch his career turn into Barry Zito’s. Whaaahaahaaahaaa.

4. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 5, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Me too. I rooted for Tom Brady, twice :(

-Jets fan who had to watch the Giants and Pats in the Superbowl

• paperlions - Mar 5, 2012 at 8:17 AM

For shame…

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:15 AM

I know, but that Tim Tebow madness had to stop! I plead justification!

• deathmonkey41 - Mar 5, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Brady? Oh yeah, that’s the guy who hasn’t won a Superbowl since his team was caught cheating…

5. frankvzappa - Mar 5, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Asking an American to “examine their life a little bit” is like asking Bud Selig to retire. You can plead until your face turns blue, and the offending party may pretend to accommodate you, but it simply isn’t something they are capable of doing, even if it is in the best interest of everybody else.

6. The Common Man - Mar 5, 2012 at 8:32 AM

That’s Scottsdale, ladies and gents. AZ-based Giants fans are easily the douchiest and least self-aware fans I’ve ever come across.

7. bleedgreen - Mar 5, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Also the same fans that got butthurt over the signs held up in Philly calling Timmay a hippie and to get his teeth fixed.

8. PanchoHerreraFanClub - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Like a good dog, fans are hard to fool.

9. Old Gator - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Sorry, I think it’s hilarious. The hypocrisy of Jints fans is just part of the fun. Imagining what Braun must be thinking – “assholes,” probably – is part of the fun as well. It’s baseline taunting at this point, true, but I fully expect that Giants fans, like fans around the league, will come up with more clever insinuendos (insinuations combined with innuendos, a little neologistic shorthand courtesy of Jack Arnold Alexander Tancred Gurney III, 13th Earl of Gurney, as we prepare for the coming season).

Braun better get used to this. It’s not going away in the near term.

• jkcalhoun - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Well, let’s think about it. You could have one side of the stadium shout “gas!” and the other side “chromatography!”, followed by “mass!” and “spectrometry!” If they can still say it right when he comes up for the 3rd time, you know they’re so angry they’re neglecting their beverages. Otherwise you know it’s all in plain-old mean-sprited fun.

• cur68 - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Or perhaps, “Testosterone” on the left side with “Epitestosterone” on the right. If the left side is 4 X louder than the right then they can move on to the GC & MS chants.

10. bjbroderick - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:49 AM

So is this what we have to look forward to this season? And by that, I mean a butthurt Calcaterra? Craig says…

“LEAVE RYAN ALONE!!!”

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Funny how demanding a proper due process and ample evidence beyond the notions of drug seekers that a certain testosterone count actually means something for all people with all genetic backgrounds as being– what were you implying– gay lovers of the man in question?

Not to mention it coming from a moniker with a leading BJ.

Oh, it’s too much, I tell ya.

11. cur68 - Mar 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM

What about the incomparable “MVPeee!”? That’s at least a bit cleverer . . . er. All in all, I’m surprised it wasn’t worse. Once the regular season gets going I’m betting on “samples” being heaved onto the field, a la Barry and the syringes.

• ta192 - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM

“MVPeee” is pretty clever…but only works in print…

12. aceshigh11 - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Opposing fans will be hurling urine sample cups filled to the brims with the end result of 3 or 4 beers onto the field by the All Star Break.

• larryboodry - Mar 5, 2012 at 3:18 PM

And should then be immediately arrested and banned from attending any future MLB games.

13. marshmallowsnake - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:27 AM

You mean Giants fans do not like supposed* cheater? When did they change?

14. El Bravo - Mar 5, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I’m shocked and appalled. By “shocked” I mean “unsurprised and mildly amused” and by “appalled” I mean “unsurprised and mildly amused”.

• Alex K - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:08 AM

So you’re unsurprised and mildly amused and unsurprised and mildly amused?

The Department of Redundancy Department would like a word with you…. :)

• Old Gator - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:07 PM

Don’t crush that blogger. Hand me the electrodes!

15. wlschneider09 - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:12 AM

There was a 86 hour and 31 minute span there, where we didn’t have a single Ryan Braun post. I kinda enjoyed that….

16. blabidibla - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:41 AM

It’s not hypocrisy. It’s tongue in cheek. It’s payback. And it’s a bitch, ain’t it?

Giants fans are more than aware of the irony here. They know Barry took steroids and endured this for a decade. They listened to every idiot fan in baseball pull this crap on them despite the fact that EVERY team had users. They watched as whole stadiums literally turned their backs on Barry while he set records. They listened as people defended Pettite, Giambi, and Clemens McGuire, Sosa, Gagne, LoDuca, etc…. They read story after story in the press claiming the Giants deserved the hypodermic needles thrown onto the field wherever they went.

Now one of baseball’s golden boys was caught red handed, got off on a technicality, and the press tries to pass it off as a non story because “the system worked?” Cry me a river. Braun isn’t going to get half of what Barry did despite his positive test.

Look in the mirror my friends. If you ever made a Barry/Giants ruined baseball comment,then shut yer trap and ride it out. We did.

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Defended McGwire, Sosa, Clemens, Gagne and etc? I don’t think any of these guys and their steroid use has been defended by the majority. I’m not sure what baseball games and mews stories you were watching.

• larryboodry - Mar 5, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Rude and ignorant behavior is rude and ignorant behavior regardless of who does it, or who it is aimed at…I have never taunted an opposing player in such a crass manner, and never will.

• larryboodry - Mar 5, 2012 at 6:26 PM

And this comment drew two ‘unlikes’ why, exactly? (So far.)

• blabidibla - Mar 5, 2012 at 7:12 PM

People realize that absolute statements like “I have never taunted an opposing player in such a crass manner, and never will.” are never true?

(Yes, that was tongue in cheek.)

17. alexo0 - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Feeeed Eeeex! Feeeed Eeeex!

18. tuftsb - Mar 5, 2012 at 1:00 PM

It’s just cognitive dissonance being defined.

19. sonoco - Mar 5, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Oh no. SF Giants fans having fun on a spring vacation are getting ripped by Mr. Pretentious. How will they ever get over it?

20. cubear34 - Mar 5, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Milwaukee fans get used to it. No matter how one sided this article was written, Braun is a cheater and baseball fans are fed up with cheaters! I don’t anticipate this going away anytime soon so can I recommend zanax. This is a legal drug to help you with your away game anxiety.

21. therabiddog - Mar 5, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Braun will get this from every single opposing fan. What he did was wrong. He cheated and usually, usually, the majority dreads cheaters.

The writer acts pretentious with his last line. Get off your high horse. He’ll hear this from Phillies fans, Cubs fans etc etc.

22. thekoptwo - Mar 5, 2012 at 11:48 PM

After cheering Barry Bonds soooo LOUD for soooo LONG I guess Giant fans have a whole lot more nerve (or shorter memories) than most. Oh well, at least Braun’s hat still fits.

23. vallewho - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:50 AM