Alex White may be charged with “extreme DUI”

Mar 6, 2012, 9:18 AM EDT

alex white ap AP

When Rockies starter Alex White was arrested for DUI over the weekend, he told officers that he only had “two drinks.”  Everyone who gets pulled over for DUI says that, of course, but White’s lie, it appears, was particularly egregious:

A breath test administered after White was pulled over Saturday night measured his blood-alcohol content at 0.174 percent, according to the arrest report. If blood tests confirm the results of the roadside breath test, White will be charged with extreme DUI, a police spokesman said.

And here you thought that something being “extreme” was always awesome.

White got a $2.25 million signing bonus a couple of years ago. One would think that would be enough to afford a cab.

1. drunkenhooliganism - Mar 6, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Will ESPN have Sal Masekela cover the trial?

2. largebill - Mar 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Won’t attempt to defend White or DUI’s. However, we’re getting silly if .174 is now called extreme DUI. I think some of this stems from the lowering of the BAC that is considered intoxicated. It used to be .10 was a standard level for DUI then MADD and others campaigned to lower it and it was changed to .08 which means .16 is double the legal limit which sounds really excessive. Double the legal limit used to be .20 which is probably fairly drunk. Depending on your weight and how fast you drank, 2 or 3 beers can get someone over .08. A better deterrent than than lowering the BAC level we consider drunk would be to have harsher penalties and a scale of increasingly onerous penalty based on higher BAC’s. .10 could be impaired. .15 would be slightly intoxicated. .20 could be very intoxicated, etc. The impetuous for these laws are obviously the horrific accidents. If MADD and others were honest they’d admit .08 isn’t the level causing the problems. When we see the crazy out of control drunk the story usually includes a BAC north of .25.

• El Bravo - Mar 6, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Dude, driving on a 0.175 is just stupid no matter how you slice it. It has nothing to do with the relationship of that number to other blood alcohol levels.

I have AlcoDroid app on my phone. It’s a simple app to track BAC while you drink. It is solely based on weight. I’m 5,10″ and 175lbs. For me to reach 0.175 I must drink exactly seven shots within about an hour of each other. If you see me on the road after that, watch out.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Damn I hate agreeing with you.

Okay…rum cake…tiramisu…

• salvomania - Mar 6, 2012 at 11:23 AM

“Seven shots within an hour of each other”?… so, seven shots in seven hours?

Or did you mean just “seven shots in an hour”?

• El Bravo - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I’m guessing you know what I meant, salvomania, but thanks for picking my nit.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Actually using a BAC calculator a 200 lb man drinking 8 beers in 2 hours would give you a BAC of .13.

Mr White weighs 215 lbs so I’d estimate he probably consumed about 10 beers (or drink equivalent) to get to that level and that’s far too many to drink and then drive. Anyone consuming that much alcohol is wayyyyyy to drunk to drive. I’d call it extreme. Extremely stupid and dangerous.

• El Bravo - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Well, when you put it that way….Mr White on 10 beers vs me on 7 shots, one road, two cars, head-to-head deathmatch!!!!

• Utley's Hair - Mar 6, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Shots and Mr. White can only lead one place…

• El Bravo - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Yeah, that seems about right.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Why even pick a fight here? Drinking and driving is wrong, period. I’m not saying you disagree with that, but I think if you drink and drive, that’s extreme and doesn’t need to be argued within itself.

I am f**king SICK of guys in MLB doing this left and right. Y’all can afford a 24 hour limo, use it!

• marshmallowsnake - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Driving with any alcohol in your system is just stupid. There are too many people on the road that you can harm, never mind yourself. Down here in Phoenix, it is a huge problem, which is why they have the extreme DUI.

• marshmallowsnake - Mar 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Thumbs down must be from someone who has a DUI.

• vivabear - Mar 6, 2012 at 5:43 PM

snake – Possibly, or just someone who didn’t agree with some comment you made on another post.

• marshmallowsnake - Mar 6, 2012 at 5:55 PM

So true…I must be getting the perpetual thumbs down. Oh well…such is life.

• Jonny 5 - Mar 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Gallo, the man who killed Nick Adenhart had a BAC of .19, and he was admittedly “Obliterated”.

3. unlost1 - Mar 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM

how do we know the test wasn’t tainted!?

• ezthinking - Mar 6, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Because, the cops have better protocols than MLB. Oh, and they follow them because when they don’t the accused walks.

• mondogarage - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM

But isn’t a walk as good as a hit?

• mondogarage - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Because Alex White didn’t lead the NL is batting average last season.

4. randygnyc - Mar 6, 2012 at 9:56 AM

And equally disturbing was Colorado’s reaction by saying they didn’t think that any team punishment was necessary because White was really sorry. Good grief. Since he was so close to the complex when he got pulled over, it isn’t impossible to imagine that he could have crashed and killed a member of his own organization.

I keep saying it. CHARACTER MATTERS.

• karaterobot - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM

If you get a DUI, should your employer punish you?

• CJ - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:33 AM

depending on the line of work in question, yes I think that would be appropriate.

• marshmallowsnake - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:41 AM

If normal people get a DUI, they can fail background checks and not get jobs…but if you can hit or throw a baseball….

• poseidonsfist - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Depending on the job, absolutely. My father lost his job and was banned from working in that city for life due to his, and thank goodness, because that was the wake up call he needed.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

When a large part of your job is public persona and relations, yes, your employer should be able to punish you for getting a DUI…especially if your BAC is over twice the legal limit.

5. mikeincmn - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:00 AM

I get he is a young guy and young guys can make stupid choices in life at times, but why so many of these players can’t get it through their head to call a cab or car service is beyond me. I’m afraid at this point its gonna take a horrible situation like a big name player killing someone to make these idiots realize how stupid and selfishly they are acting.

6. aaronmoreno - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM

How big were the two drinks?

• drunkenhooliganism - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM

No idea if that works, and the lack of an edit feature will display my potential ignorance for all.

• drunkenhooliganism - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:17 AM

nope didn’t work. it was a picture of a big beer.

• marshmallowsnake - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Two beer boots?

7. dbacksfan83 - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:37 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that Arizona has some of the toughest DUI laws in the country. It’s mandatory jail time for DUI – 30 days MINIMUM for anything above .15 (24 hours minimum for less than .15 and 30 days minimum for anything above .2)

8. dowhatifeellike - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:46 AM

I’m surprised the orgainzation doesn’t comp cab fare for all players. I know a few NFL teams do it.

• ptfu - Mar 6, 2012 at 11:14 AM

“The Rockies do have a program in place where a player can call the team and arrange for transportation if the player believes he’s had too much to drink.”

Reason #1293471601947 why Alex White did something horrifyingly stupid.

9. JB (the original) - Mar 6, 2012 at 11:45 AM

1. Always request a blood test. You could weigh 300 lbs, take two shots, be pulled over and tested within 10 minutes or so, and blow over the limit, when obviously not “intoxicated”.
    2. Stupid move on his part. When you make that kind of dough and have a “public” type job, there’s no excuse to not take a cab/limo/whatever. As a matter of fact, with the number of incidents with groupies, bar “incidents”, etc., I would probably just build a nice bar in my house, just to avoid the BS that comes with being a “public figure”.
    3. For the people who say that driving with ANY amount of alcohol in their system is abhorrent; what about cold medicine, being overtired, texting on their cell phones, arguing with another person in the car, trying to read a map, put on makeup, etc? If you’re going to to be militant, do it across the board.

• El Bravo - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I don’t think it’s absurd to say, don’t drive while drunk (the state laws decide what that is, but they’re fairly consistent I think). Also, to get drunk off cold medicine, you’d have to fight through the hallucinations first to even feel the drunk…either way, you’d have to drink a full bottle minimum to get that effect, and yes, if you do that, don’t drive okay?

• JB (the original) - Mar 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I agree that it’s not absurd to say ‘don’t drive while drunk'; I was alluding to the million other factors that cause poor driver awareness/control/capability, such as: texting, being overtired, being on other medications (prescribed). That’s what I meant about the cough syrup, not someone going for the Robie Shuffle by downing a few bottles and getting behind the wheel.

10. mondogarage - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:38 PM

That Ubaldo Jimenez trade just gets better and better for the Rockies.

11. rcali - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:02 PM

That sounds like 50 hours of community service, a fine, and a wag of the finger. Our streets are so safe.

12. foreverchipper10 - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:36 PM

I was unaware it was against the law to throw back a couple Mountain Dews and then get behind the wheel…

Orioles turn AL East on its head