Mar 6, 2012, 1:30 PM EST
I was walking around morning workouts when I encountered Bobby Abreu throwing the ball with Torii Hunter in the outfield. Torii Hunter has nine gold gloves, by the way, so this exchange was a lot of fun.
Abreu: Don’t think about it. Just get the ball … [throws] … and release.
Abreu: Perfect strike. Just get the ball … [throws] and release. It’s nothin’.
Hunter: [said nothing, laughed a little, and then I imagined he rolled his eyes]
At that point, Abreu got the ball, went into a half-hearted windup as if he were pitching, and threw a strike to Hunter. He turned around at the coaches and players behind him with a smug look on his face, thinking he looked like Verlander or something.
Third Base Coach Dino Ebel: ”65 miles an hour”
Abreu: MY ASS!
Did I mention that the Angels seem like they’re having fun?
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (86)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)