Colby Rasmus trying to keep his father out of his game

Mar 6, 2012, 3:58 PM EDT

Colby Rasmus; Adam Lind

The influence exerted by father and former coach Tony Rasmus always got a big part of the blame when the relationship between Colby Rasmus and the Cardinals went south. Colby, for his part, doesn’t want to see the same thing happen in Toronto.

“I’m trying not to talk to him a whole lot,” Rasmus said recently. “I just tell him I need more positive influence because I got enough negative influence over in St. Louis in the early going. I think all that negative energy kept me down while I was there. I really never let it go.”
Rick Hummel has a nice, lengthy writeup on Rasmus, his struggles with the Cardinals and his fresh start with the Blue Jays over at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. There’s a lot of good stuff in it, though he concluded it with a completely unnecessary cheap shot:
Like his Cardinals predecessor of 12 to 15 years ago, J.D. Drew, Rasmus seems to have little desire to be a great player.
Maybe I wouldn’t mind it so much if he subbed in “star” for “great player” there, because there’s definitely a difference in cases like this.
  1. aclassyguyfromaclassytown - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM

The trap is set. All we do now is wait for trasmus to take the bait.

2. cur68 - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Oh man, I’m hopin’ this kid’s got a little sumpthin’ somthin’ in his bat. If that means he has a Tony-ectomy to do it, then so be it. C’mon Colby, see ball, hit ball, run like hell…how much coaching from his old man does that take?

• 24missed - Mar 6, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Looks like the pressure is starting to simmer in Canada. Cur, I heard that your Jays have filled the position for Colby’s personal coach. He’s been working with Colby for a number of years.

Sweet Cur, does that relieve your worries, at all?

• cur68 - Mar 6, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Things are definitely getting a bit nuts over at the Rasmus house. Looks like Tony got into Twitter Battle (a Twittle) with Derrick Goold. Tony’s account has now been suspended. No amount of coaching is going to help when your old man’s a loose cannon. Being in a lather of familial embarrassment isn’t going to help the kid’s game either. Y’know what would help right now? A little sumpthin’ somthin’ I like to call “SHUT THE HELL UP TONY RASMUS!”. I don’t suppose you do contract surgery, eh 24? I’d like to pay to have you remove Tony’s phone, thumbs, and frontal lobes.

• 24missed - Mar 6, 2012 at 9:52 PM

I’m blessed to be Daddy’s girl. My dad’s the best.
        However, Colby’s a friggin’ mess and I feel for the poor thing. Sit at a little league game. There is always a Tony Rasmus there, female or male.

Frontal lobes are a specialty of mine. I love neurology! My rec. is to remove these lobes immediately, as they are beginning to rear the behavior consistent with frontal lobe trauma.
        Judgement, impulse control, social and emotional behavior are just several symptoms he is exhibiting. Seriously, that is scary. Colby is in good hands with John Farrell. Farrell will set the boundaries w/ Tony R. and if involves authorities, so be it.

O, I guess Tony R. would need frontal implants, too. Like the rest of the planet. But these would be loving, supportive and mechanically sound implants. Like the rest of the planet.

Cur, I think I’d rather just give the sumpthin’ somthin. Platonically, of course.

• cur68 - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Your dad raises noble daughters…who are proud, temperamental and touchy. Which I like. Gotta have standards. Gotta be prepared to stand by them, too.

When I come to power, I’m going to make it mandatory for screening of all prospective parents to pass a course in parenting. They’ll have to demonstrate that they are safe around children, prepared to obey certain rules, have knowledge of certain laws, are aware of the time commitment expected of them in maintenance, and due diligence with respect to whom they are leaving those children with. The last thing they’ll learn is when their commitment to be involved in every facet of their child’s life is at an end and to then butt the hell out. If they can’t learn all that, then I’ll have ‘em culled.

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Negative parents ruin a lot more than they may realize. Not bad thinking, Colby.

4. El Bravo - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Colby is easily one of the most talked about mediocre players in the game today. I believe he is creeping up the overrated list b/c of this. Until there is some consistently solid performance from him, he’s just overrated.

5. wlschneider09 - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:56 PM

In fact, he’s got him trapped right there in that bucket he’s sitting on.

6. brewcrewfan54 - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:57 PM

It was nice of LaRussa to not take any type of fault for Rasmus having a hard time. He’s such a nice guy.

7. patg1041 - Mar 6, 2012 at 5:05 PM

What’s the more interesting topic regarding this team? Discussing Colby Rasmus’ dad or the Blue Jays new/old unis. I gotta be honest. I’m going with the unis.

8. aaronmoreno - Mar 6, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Is it that hard to not have your father involved when you’re a grown man? Keep him out of the clubhouse, choose when to talk, tell him off, something. It’s not like the checks are made out to Daddy.

• cintiphil - Mar 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM

But, didn’t the Jay’s bring in Tony to have a talk last season? i thought the Jay’s were going to see just how ole Tony could have a positive affect on Colby and help him out.
      Or sumpin like that!

9. Picked_Off - Mar 6, 2012 at 5:16 PM

It might have been a good thought at the beginning of last year… Good luck north of the border, kid.

10. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Mar 6, 2012 at 6:12 PM

The good thing about the relationship he will have with Farrell is that he won’t have to “safe” words and won’t have to tell John bad touch.

11. okwhitefalcon - Mar 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM

After Hummel’s article was posted, Tony Rasmus went on a twitter (his account is now suspended)bender with St Louis Post Dispatch Cards beat writers Derrick Goold and Joe Strauss – it may have been the most bizarre exchange to date for Tony Rasmus – and that’s saying alot.

A brief recap from Cards Talk of the back and forth can be read here:

12. thefalcon123 - Mar 6, 2012 at 8:42 PM

“I guess I don’t want the responsibility of being one,” Rasmus said. “I’d rather just be a man on the team. I’m not upset with anybody over there. I was given a good opportunity and I was happy to have that opportunity. I don’t want to keep digging myself a friggin’ ditch. Maybe it was just me. But where I was I didn’t feel I was ever going to be happy.

Read more: http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/colby-rasmus-isn-t-sure-where-career-will-take-him/article_ff7c6cdf-4006-57d5-bea1-bb7b1d849f9f.html#ixzz

…it may have been a cheap shot, but quotes like don’t exactly put Rasmus in a very good light

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 6, 2012 at 9:20 PM

He doesn’t need to be the star of the team. It doesn’t mean he wont try to be as good as he can be. There’s really nothing wrong with him saying it. He wouldn’t be the first athlete who was playing a sport that he didn’t necessarily enjoy as much as the fans or other players.

• cur68 - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM

“Y’know when you hit a homer? It’s when you’re not tryin’ to hit a homer, just tryin’ to hit the ball hard.”
        J. Bautista (paraphrased), 2011

13. lostsok - Mar 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Colby seems like a decent kid, just a tad…slow. He gets baseball, but little else. He clearly doesn’t like standing up to authority figures, and was ground to dust between the rock of his father and the hard-place of Tony LaRussa. That doesn’t suggest that Colby has a very strong ego. However, there are worse things you can say about someone.

14. deathmonkey41 - Mar 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM

This guy seems to be following the same path as Eric Lindros- except Lindros went from Canada to the States and Colby went the other way. Lindros had meddling parents also.

15. cintiphil - Mar 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM

OK, my opinion is that Colby has never made his own decisions because daddy was there to make them for him. Now that seems to be a very hard habit to break, and maybe never. I cannot see the old man just laying off and not getting involved in some way. If Rasmus has a fast break out in Toronto, we may not hear from trasmus at all. However if or when he goes into a little slump, you can be certain daddy will be there to tell him how to break out of it and how to change his swing etc etc.. In addition, the pros in the Blue jays club will be trying to give him good advice, but daddy’s message will be continually ringing in his ear, until he gives up on trying to improve and throws in the towel, and of course it will be the fault of the coaches in Toronto.

Of course I wasn’t there, but isn’t that what happened in St. Lou?

• paperlions - Mar 7, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Yes, in a discussion about Rasmus before he was traded, a number of us decided that Colby’s personality was likely a by-product of a domineering over-bearing father. It is likely that the reason he usually doesn’t seem to know what he thinks, is that he’s always had opinions forced on him.

The great thing is that his dad blew up in response to the interview/article…essentially proving everyone that things he’s a massive problem correct.

16. okwhitefalcon - Mar 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Looks like Tony couldn’t keep his twitter account quiet – reactivated.

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS