Mar 6, 2012, 2:57 PM EST
The Rangers spent far more than anyone expected to land 23-year-old Cuban defector Leonys Martin last year, signing him for $15.5 million over five years. He was generally impressive in the minors in his U.S. debut, but manager Ron Washington told the Dallas Morning News today that he’s still not close to helping the team:
If my guys stay healthy, my intention is he’ll get a full year in the minors. And my intention is for my guys to stay healthy.
He just needs to play. I hope from this camp he’ll learn how the game is supposed to be played and about being a pro.
That last part may be key. The problem is that Martin has been a pro for a good long time now and probably thinks pretty highly of himself. After all, the Rangers did hand him a $5 million signing bonus last year.
But Martin appears on his way back to Triple-A now, and that’s not a bad thing. After tearing up Texas League pitching to the tune of a 1.007 OPS in 112 at-bats last season, he slipped to .263/.316/.314 in 175 at-bats in Triple-A. He does have some work to do. Still, he’s a greater talent than either Julio Borbon or Craig Gentry, and the Rangers might not be able to keep him in the PCL for long if he shows improvement early on.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)