Mar 6, 2012, 5:38 PM EDT
A lot of MLB teams are nervous about trading with teams within their division, but perhaps no club has been quite so paranoid as the Orioles under owner Peter Angelos. The last significant deal they made with an AL East team was in 2006, when they traded reliever Chris Britton to the Yankees for Jaret Wright and $4 million of the $7 million left on his contract.
They haven’t really taken a risk in a deal with an AL East rival since 2000, when they sent disappointing first-round pick Jayson Werth to the Blue Jays for reliever John Bale. Of course, Werth went on to become a star, but not until long after Toronto was done with him.
Fortunately, new GM Dan Duquette isn’t such a believer in avoiding deals within his division. He told WEEI’s Alex Speier today that, ‘If it’s good for our team…not as important who we trade with.”
Now he just needs to convince the guy who has the final say. The Orioles aren’t looking to sell at the moment, but they might be this summer, and they’ll be better off if Duquette is able to consider all offers, especially those that might lure some young talent away from the teams he hopes to overtake a couple of years down the road.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 44
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 73
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 50
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)