Mar 6, 2012, 6:30 PM EST
The Mets decided over the weekend to hold David Wright out of the first two games of the Grapefruit League schedule due to stiffness in the left side of his rib cage. He has downplayed the severity of the issue all along, but it’s clear that the Mets aren’t taking any chances.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Mets manager Terry Collins said this afternoon that Wright will not make his spring debut until at least next week. The 29-year-old third baseman worked out in the weight room today and no longer feels discomfort, but the Mets simply don’t want to risk the possibility of a setback and a longer shutdown.
“He felt great,” Collins said. “We’ll see when they’ll let him go back on the field. But he said there’s no pain at all, no discomfort at all. So, again, those are all great signs. And he admitted, he told me today, ‘I think it was really a good move that we slowed this down.”
Wright appeared in just 102 games last season due to a stress fracture in his lower back, batting .254/.345/.427 with 14 home runs, 61 RBI, 13 stolen bases and a .771 OPS.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 0
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 9
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)