Mar 6, 2012, 6:30 PM EDT
The Mets decided over the weekend to hold David Wright out of the first two games of the Grapefruit League schedule due to stiffness in the left side of his rib cage. He has downplayed the severity of the issue all along, but it’s clear that the Mets aren’t taking any chances.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Mets manager Terry Collins said this afternoon that Wright will not make his spring debut until at least next week. The 29-year-old third baseman worked out in the weight room today and no longer feels discomfort, but the Mets simply don’t want to risk the possibility of a setback and a longer shutdown.
“He felt great,” Collins said. “We’ll see when they’ll let him go back on the field. But he said there’s no pain at all, no discomfort at all. So, again, those are all great signs. And he admitted, he told me today, ‘I think it was really a good move that we slowed this down.”
Wright appeared in just 102 games last season due to a stress fracture in his lower back, batting .254/.345/.427 with 14 home runs, 61 RBI, 13 stolen bases and a .771 OPS.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” ligament 4
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 11
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 124
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (124)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)