Mar 6, 2012, 4:16 PM EDT
He’s got time but he’s behind. Part of that is if he had rehabbed properly in the winter time. Part of that is he came into camp as one of the few guys overweight. The guys that came in ready, I can’t shelve them because he didn’t. I’m trying him ready the best I can. We need him. … Then he’s got to stop eating.
Sheldon says Francisco is about 10-12 pounds overweight, so “he’s got stop eating” is relatively sound advice.
And it’s sort of a weird coincidence that two of the few guys not to be in supposedly great shape upon arriving at spring training have “Francisco” in their name. Liriano, Cervelli, Rodriguez, Frank, and Ben better count calories for the rest of the month just to be safe.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 36
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 67
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 118
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 108
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (118)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)