Mar 6, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Longoria had hoped to play today, but swelling in his hand kept him from getting through a batting practice session yesterday and now the Rays third baseman isn’t sure when he’ll see game action again:
It’s slowly going in the right direction. It’s moving along. I guess some places just don’t drain out as well as others. If it was my shin, it would be contused, there will still be a contusion but I would be able to play. It’s just that hands and feet are a little bit different.
Longoria also noted that the injury occurring so early in spring training allows him to be cautious coming back and in the meantime he’s able to get reps in defensively.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12