Mar 6, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
The Marlins enter spring training with plenty of excitement after changing their name, logo and uniforms and making some pretty splashy additions, but they’ll have a tough time contending if they don’t get the old Josh Johnson back. He took a step in the right direction yesterday.
Johnson threw 41 pitches over 1 2/3 scoreless innings against the Cardinals in his first start since being placed on the disabled list last May with right shoulder inflammation. He retired the first five batters he faced (including two strikeouts) before reaching his pitch count after giving up a single, a double and a walk to load the bases.
Of course, the results are secondary at this point. The important part is that Johnson topped out around 94 mph with his fastball and told Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post that his shoulder feels good.
“It was good to get it of the way,” he said. “Shoulder feels great so that’s a big step.”
Johnson could make his next start Sunday against the Mets. The Marlins hope to have their ace right-hander ready for the season opener against the Cardinals on April 4 as they open their new stadium in Little Havana.
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 35
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 48
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 57
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (89)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)