Mar 6, 2012, 8:02 PM EDT
MLB announced earlier this afternoon that minor league free agent left-hander Erick Hurtado was suspended 50 games for testing positive for metabolites of Stanozolol, a performance-enhancing drug.
Hurtado, a 17-year-old pitcher from the Dominican Republic, just signed with the Cardinals last month. However, his contract has already been terminated.
Ben Badler of Baseball America notes that Hurtado was throwing around 86-88 mph last year around July 2, but that his velocity was in the 88-91 mph range before he signed with St. Louis.
Hurtado’s suspension will begin as soon as he signs with another major league team.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)