Mar 6, 2012, 8:02 PM EDT
MLB announced earlier this afternoon that minor league free agent left-hander Erick Hurtado was suspended 50 games for testing positive for metabolites of Stanozolol, a performance-enhancing drug.
Hurtado, a 17-year-old pitcher from the Dominican Republic, just signed with the Cardinals last month. However, his contract has already been terminated.
Ben Badler of Baseball America notes that Hurtado was throwing around 86-88 mph last year around July 2, but that his velocity was in the 88-91 mph range before he signed with St. Louis.
Hurtado’s suspension will begin as soon as he signs with another major league team.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 70
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)