Mar 6, 2012, 8:02 PM EDT
MLB announced earlier this afternoon that minor league free agent left-hander Erick Hurtado was suspended 50 games for testing positive for metabolites of Stanozolol, a performance-enhancing drug.
Hurtado, a 17-year-old pitcher from the Dominican Republic, just signed with the Cardinals last month. However, his contract has already been terminated.
Ben Badler of Baseball America notes that Hurtado was throwing around 86-88 mph last year around July 2, but that his velocity was in the 88-91 mph range before he signed with St. Louis.
Hurtado’s suspension will begin as soon as he signs with another major league team.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)