Mar 6, 2012, 8:02 PM EST
MLB announced earlier this afternoon that minor league free agent left-hander Erick Hurtado was suspended 50 games for testing positive for metabolites of Stanozolol, a performance-enhancing drug.
Hurtado, a 17-year-old pitcher from the Dominican Republic, just signed with the Cardinals last month. However, his contract has already been terminated.
Ben Badler of Baseball America notes that Hurtado was throwing around 86-88 mph last year around July 2, but that his velocity was in the 88-91 mph range before he signed with St. Louis.
Hurtado’s suspension will begin as soon as he signs with another major league team.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (131)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)