Mar 6, 2012, 2:39 PM EST

Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune Review snapped this shot of Andrew McCutchen, fresh off his $51.5 million contract extension, chatting with the man who’ll be signing his paychecks, Pirates owner Bob Nutting:

source:

1. Tribe&Browns&Cavs - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:44 PM

“Whoa, whoa, 51 million? I thought we were paying you 15 million.” -Bob Nutting

2. tropboi11 - Mar 6, 2012 at 3:46 PM

This kid is a baller, on and off the field now

3. cur68 - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Great hair, Mr. McCutchen. Never cut it off. Wish I’d kept mine.

4. sasquash20 - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:33 PM

It is nice to see the Pirates actually pay one of there own. Kid is a darn good ball player, and he seems to have a good attitude as well.

5. buckybadger - Mar 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM

One of my favorite guys to watch play. I actually look for when the Pirates come to Denver so I can go see him. Glad he was able to stick there.

6. florida76 - Mar 6, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Signing Cutch this early really caught everyone by surprise. The gloom and doom crowd expected a trade, but give this ownership group credit for stepping forward when it counted. A young, talented player decided to stay in Pittsburgh, and if the club continues to improve, future free agents will give the Pirates more consideration.

7. napoleonblownapart6887 - Mar 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

“Now listen Andrew I’m really excited we were able to lock you up, but to pay you all that money we had to make some cuts. So today I have officially waived every Outfielder in the Pirates organization and Minor League affiliates. You’ll be playing all three outfield positions for all levels of the club….”

Just kidding, I’m so excited the Bucco’s were able to retain this guy. Class kid, who plays his tail off – it’s guys like this that you can build a solid club around (eventually).

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5475)