Red Sox shut down Carlos Silva with shoulder injury

Mar 6, 2012, 12:48 PM EST

carlos-silva-cubs-spring AP

Bobby Valentine said today that Carlos Silva is already out of the running for the Red Sox’s rotation because of shoulder inflammation.

Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com reports that Silva has been “shut down” indefinitely, which leaves Alfredo Aceves, Felix Doubrant, Vicente Padilla, Aaron Cook, and Andrew Miller competing for the No. 5 starter gig.

Silva was probably a long shot to win that job anyway after signing a minor-league deal with the Red Sox in January, but he was part of the team’s effort to collect a bunch of pitching depth in the hopes someone would emerge from the pack as the obvious choice.

Silva didn’t pitch in the majors at all last season, but the 32-year-old right-hander was reasonably effective for the Cubs in 2010.

1. rollinghighwayblues - Mar 6, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Obviously, it’s a good day for injury-type posts today. Depressing.

2. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Well, the problem with his shoulder is, he doesn’t know how to pitch.

• Ari Collins - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Nicely done.

• El Bravo - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM

…relatedly, he was on my 2011 Douchenozzle list because he “thinks he can play good baseball” still. More proof to never question the criteria for becoming a douchenozzle.

3. phukyouk - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I am totally and completely shocked about this report
    /Sarcastic

4. racksie - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM

The only surprise is he didn’t shut himself down. With tummy problems, or because he got tired running the bases. Dude’s soft.

5. Ari Collins - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:17 PM

The main two candidates are Padilla and Doubront, if the buzz is right. Miller’s likely headed to the ‘pen unless he rapidly figures out how perpetually-messed-up mechanics, Cook isn’t going to be quite ready to start the season, and Aceves is far more useful out of the ‘pen. Meanwhile, Padilla and Doubront look good so far, and decisions have to be made on them sooner than the rest.

6. cur68 - Mar 6, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Sorry to see this about Silva, but, on the bright side, there is Vincente Padilla, erect, shining and proud, with a chance at becoming the Red Sox number 5 starter. Go get ‘em, Vincente. Baseball needs more erect, shining & proud pitchers. Don’t forget to pay your child support.

• 24missed - Mar 6, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Cur,

That erect, shining image of Padilla does wild things to me. You must stop this or I cannot be stopped. Stopped from the horrors and visuals of the only RS, um, member, in the BSOHL haunting me, day and night. Stop.

Happy to report BV doesn’t seem to keen on him. He jibjabbers more about Doubront. We don’t need a head hunter every 5 starts. A shining, erect head hunter at that.

Of course, maybe the Blue Jays could use another pitcher. Farrell would really get along swell with Padilla. See, I’m being all helpful and such.

• cur68 - Mar 6, 2012 at 5:10 PM

24, my little honey bun…even the thought of Vinny as a card carrying member of the All Beaver Squad is enough to make my feet itch…itch to punt him as far as possible.

I appreciate your anguish at the very thought. I’m betting your boy Valentine also wants to see as little of Mr. Erect, Shining, & Proud as possible. We can but hope.

• 24missed - Mar 6, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Punt away! Punt him back to enjoy the summer with his ten children.

Perhaps, we can start another Oswalt rumour. There hasn’t been one in quite some time. He’s the fifth starter.

Alright, Cur, you’re officially back in my good graces again.

• cur68 - Mar 6, 2012 at 6:55 PM

You are proud, temperamental and touchy…I like it. When our teams inevitably square off, I’m expecting fireworks after the Sox lose. I’m expecting the earth to move.

• 24missed - Mar 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM

You mean I’m a pain, cranky and am still touchy? I’ll take it. There are always fireworks when the Sox win. Puh-lease, it is a given that the earth will move when we rock your 4th place world. Your opening day, baby, opening day. Let the fireworks begin.

7. jeffbbf - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Silva hasn’t blamed the Red Sox pitching coach yet?

8. chiadam - Mar 6, 2012 at 2:52 PM

You know a guy is prone to injuries when the only pictures of him that can be found are of him in his old team’s uniform.

9. dirtyharry1971 - Mar 6, 2012 at 11:50 PM

I hope its nothing serious as id love to see Carlos make a big comeback with boston. They need this guy!! get better soon Carlos!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4897)
  2. M. Kemp (3463)
  3. J. Upton (2553)
  4. J. Kang (2529)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2509)
  1. C. McGehee (2486)