Mar 7, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT
Buster Posey is back! Or, he will be soon.
According to beat writer Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Giants manager Bruce Bochy told reporters Wednesday that he’s planning to have Posey catch “a few innings” in Friday afternoon’s Cactus League game against the Reds.
Posey was unable to return to action last season after suffering a fractured ankle in a late-May collision at home plate and has been taking it slowly in camp this spring. But he looked good running the bases on Tuesday and the Giants are no longer concerned about a potential re-injury.
“He’s fine,” Bochy said Wednesday. “It’s not the hitting or the catching. That’s no problem. He’s been catching ‘pens, doing all the drills. It’s just getting him running bases. He came out of it well.”
Posey, 24, has posted a .294/.353/.462 slash line and 22 homers through the first 160 games of his career.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)