Mar 7, 2012, 10:05 PM EST
Buster Posey is back! Or, he will be soon.
According to beat writer Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Giants manager Bruce Bochy told reporters Wednesday that he’s planning to have Posey catch “a few innings” in Friday afternoon’s Cactus League game against the Reds.
Posey was unable to return to action last season after suffering a fractured ankle in a late-May collision at home plate and has been taking it slowly in camp this spring. But he looked good running the bases on Tuesday and the Giants are no longer concerned about a potential re-injury.
“He’s fine,” Bochy said Wednesday. “It’s not the hitting or the catching. That’s no problem. He’s been catching ‘pens, doing all the drills. It’s just getting him running bases. He came out of it well.”
Posey, 24, has posted a .294/.353/.462 slash line and 22 homers through the first 160 games of his career.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)