Mar 7, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT
Buster Posey is back! Or, he will be soon.
According to beat writer Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Giants manager Bruce Bochy told reporters Wednesday that he’s planning to have Posey catch “a few innings” in Friday afternoon’s Cactus League game against the Reds.
Posey was unable to return to action last season after suffering a fractured ankle in a late-May collision at home plate and has been taking it slowly in camp this spring. But he looked good running the bases on Tuesday and the Giants are no longer concerned about a potential re-injury.
“He’s fine,” Bochy said Wednesday. “It’s not the hitting or the catching. That’s no problem. He’s been catching ‘pens, doing all the drills. It’s just getting him running bases. He came out of it well.”
Posey, 24, has posted a .294/.353/.462 slash line and 22 homers through the first 160 games of his career.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)