Mar 7, 2012, 10:05 PM EDT
Buster Posey is back! Or, he will be soon.
According to beat writer Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com, Giants manager Bruce Bochy told reporters Wednesday that he’s planning to have Posey catch “a few innings” in Friday afternoon’s Cactus League game against the Reds.
Posey was unable to return to action last season after suffering a fractured ankle in a late-May collision at home plate and has been taking it slowly in camp this spring. But he looked good running the bases on Tuesday and the Giants are no longer concerned about a potential re-injury.
“He’s fine,” Bochy said Wednesday. “It’s not the hitting or the catching. That’s no problem. He’s been catching ‘pens, doing all the drills. It’s just getting him running bases. He came out of it well.”
Posey, 24, has posted a .294/.353/.462 slash line and 22 homers through the first 160 games of his career.
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 0
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 1
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 7
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)