Mar 7, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
That led to some speculation that he plans to retire and Rivera’s comments to Kevin Kernan of the New York Post today would seemingly strengthen those beliefs.
Asked when he’ll reveal the decision, Rivera said:
I think maybe it will be before the All-Star break. I just want to be sure. I want to make sure whatever I decide, it will be the right decision. I don’t want to tell you, “OK, I’m going to retire,” and then I don’t do it. To me, that’s not right. Whatever decision I make, I continue or I don’t continue, that is a decision I want to stick with. As you get older, you have your priorities and you just go and do it.
Obviously a 42-year-old pitcher saying he plans to play another season is newsworthy, but if he plans to simply keep playing the need for a big buildup followed by an announcement doesn’t really seem necessary any more than it would have when he was 39 or 40 or 41.
Rivera also indicated that he likes the idea of making an announcement with enough time to say goodbye at each ballpark because “it would be nice that you tell the fans, so every stadium you go to, the fans will be there to show their appreciation and you appreciate the fans.”
I’d selfishly like to see Rivera continue pitching until he’s no longer one of the most dominant relievers in baseball and he’s shown absolutely no signs of slowing down yet, but he sure sounds like someone 162 games from retirement.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 49
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 66
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 51
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 106
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (106)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (67)