Mariano Rivera, seemingly leaning toward retirement, may reveal post-2012 plans at midseason

Mar 7, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

Mariano Rivera Getty Images

Last month Mariano Rivera was coy about his future beyond this season, saying he’d already come to a decision but wasn’t going to share it publicly.

That led to some speculation that he plans to retire and Rivera’s comments to Kevin Kernan of the New York Post today would seemingly strengthen those beliefs.

Asked when he’ll reveal the decision, Rivera said:

I think maybe it will be before the All-Star break. I just want to be sure. I want to make sure whatever I decide, it will be the right decision. I don’t want to tell you, “OK, I’m going to retire,” and then I don’t do it. To me, that’s not right. Whatever decision I make, I continue or I don’t continue, that is a decision I want to stick with. As you get older, you have your priorities and you just go and do it.

Obviously a 42-year-old pitcher saying he plans to play another season is newsworthy, but if he plans to simply keep playing the need for a big buildup followed by an announcement doesn’t really seem necessary any more than it would have when he was 39 or 40 or 41.

Rivera also indicated that he likes the idea of making an announcement with enough time to say goodbye at each ballpark because “it would be nice that you tell the fans, so every stadium you go to, the fans will be there to show their appreciation and you appreciate the fans.”

I’d selfishly like to see Rivera continue pitching until he’s no longer one of the most dominant relievers in baseball and he’s shown absolutely no signs of slowing down yet, but he sure sounds like someone 162 games from retirement.

1. yankeesfanlen - Mar 7, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I think Mo is playing with our heads and will retire after the ’13 season, bringing down the payroll for ’14 to $189,999,999.

• lardin - Mar 7, 2012 at 11:00 AM

It actually would be more, because the minute MO announces his retirement is the minute Soriano decides hes got leverage over the Yankees and opts out of the final year of his contract. That s about 25 million dollars between the two

• screename529 - Mar 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

It should be interesting to see how the Yankees react when Soriano tells them he is opting out of a contract that has already expired after 2013.

• El Bravo - Mar 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Soriano? Leverage? He’s not even their second best reliever right now. If he wants another payday, he’ll have to perform and stay healthy, two things he hasn’t done well as a Yankee.

• Ari Collins - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM

There is no way Soriano opts out. Very unlikely he’d get more than $13MM on a one-year deal, and he doesn’t really gain additional leverage by being a FA when Mo is gone. The Yankees have a pretty good bullpen and a dominant reliever to take over for Mo in Robertson.

2. El Bravo - Mar 7, 2012 at 11:12 AM

MO NEVER GO!

3. buffalomafia - Mar 7, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Mo will go after Yanks win World Series!

4. aceshigh11 - Mar 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I’m sure whatever and whenever he decides, he’ll do it with class.

5. phukyouk - Mar 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM

“but he sure sounds like someone 162 games from retirement.”

your math is waaaaaaaaaaaay off. 162 + playoffs = 173

• whatthehellisansky - Mar 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM

11 wins in a row. I like the way you think.

• whatthehellisansky - Mar 7, 2012 at 1:14 PM

11 (playoff wins) in a row**

• phukyouk - Mar 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM

:-)

6. sleepyirv - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Demigods don’t retire, they just ascend to higher planes of existence.

7. randygnyc - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Soriano? He won’t even get the chance to close for the Yankees, let alone have leverage, regardless of when Mo retires. It’s Robertson’s job to lose with a much lower salary. Everyone thought Cashman was speaking about starters (betances and banuelos) when talking about the $189 salary “cap”. I instantly knew he was talking about having a bullpen of young and inexpensive players, as well.

• Ari Collins - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Wow, how perceptive you are! How foolish of us all to add up the salaries of everyone except the bullpen when we were figuring out the payroll!

And it was instant? Tell me more about the speed of your thoughts!

8. losangelasbasketball - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM

When Trever Hoffman retired in San Diego, the Padres gave him a key to the city, named a street after him, and slaughtered 3 little goats in honor of him… Mo will be lucky if he gets a phone call from the yankee’s bat boy…

• phukyouk - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:40 PM

yea… cause they meant the same to their respective teams. i mean Hoffman DID help the padres win 5 rings.

9. cur68 - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:39 PM

If 2012 is it, then MLB should retire the use of Enter Sandman along with him. I know he doesn’t like the song, and it may not be the walk on song that closer wants, but its the walk on song that closer needs…so no Mo then no Sandman.

• stex52 - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM

They would have to rip it away from (seems like) half the closers in the league. And I have to say I would miss it.

• cur68 - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:49 PM

When I hear that song, I think of Rivera. I don’t care what other guys are doing: Rivera owns it like I own my pickup truck.

10. randygnyc - Mar 7, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I wasn’t talking about YOU, Ari. Obviously, you knew what Cashman was saying before he even said it. I was referring to all the analysts. The guys paid for their opinions who don’t have the common sense to consider alternate perspectives.

11. brian32556 - Mar 7, 2012 at 7:52 PM

losangelasbasketball – Mar 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM

===============
    Yeah, you’re right. The Yankees never honor their stars. That’s why every visiting major league ballplayer goes out to monument park during their first time at the stadium to wonder where the memorials are. You’re an idiot!

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3978)