Mar 7, 2012, 10:47 AM EST
That led to some speculation that he plans to retire and Rivera’s comments to Kevin Kernan of the New York Post today would seemingly strengthen those beliefs.
Asked when he’ll reveal the decision, Rivera said:
I think maybe it will be before the All-Star break. I just want to be sure. I want to make sure whatever I decide, it will be the right decision. I don’t want to tell you, “OK, I’m going to retire,” and then I don’t do it. To me, that’s not right. Whatever decision I make, I continue or I don’t continue, that is a decision I want to stick with. As you get older, you have your priorities and you just go and do it.
Obviously a 42-year-old pitcher saying he plans to play another season is newsworthy, but if he plans to simply keep playing the need for a big buildup followed by an announcement doesn’t really seem necessary any more than it would have when he was 39 or 40 or 41.
Rivera also indicated that he likes the idea of making an announcement with enough time to say goodbye at each ballpark because “it would be nice that you tell the fans, so every stadium you go to, the fans will be there to show their appreciation and you appreciate the fans.”
I’d selfishly like to see Rivera continue pitching until he’s no longer one of the most dominant relievers in baseball and he’s shown absolutely no signs of slowing down yet, but he sure sounds like someone 162 games from retirement.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)