Scenes from Spring Training: The Most Interesting Man in the World

Mar 7, 2012, 7:51 AM EDT

TT Roadhoue

After I left the ballpark yesterday afternoon I came back to my hotel and placed my health first among all other things. First, I moved into my new non-smoking room, which was good for my lungs. Then I went to the fitness center and ran on a treadmill for 45 minutes which was good for my heart, body and soul.

Then I went to In-n-Out Burger and ate this followed by a trip to a dive bar called TT Roadhouse where I hoisted the moist with a friend of mine. No, I don’t think it’s safe to say that I’m in the best shape of my life after all of that. Hell, I’m not even in the best shape of the bloggers on this site.

The friend of mine was a former sportswriter and former blogger named Connor Doyle who I met back in the Shysterball days.  When I was here last year, as some of you may remember, I had beers with him and DIPS legend Voros McCracken and nearly started a race riot. Last night wasn’t quite as scary, but it definitely turned strange.

We had been there a little over an hour or so when a man with a gigantic head wound came up and sat down at our table and began talking to us. He began in mid-sentence as if he had been with us all night, and took up the political conversation Connor and I were having. Well, OK then. He did pause long enough for Connor to ask him what happened to his head. Seems he was walking with a girl last week when a man ran him over with a car and then drove away. He treated the explanation as though it was bothersome and unimportant and continued on with his political monologue. Well, OK again.

The substance of the monologue: if he had a time machine and could go back and change one historical event, it would be to prevent women getting the right to vote. Really: that’s when he believes all of our country’s problems began.

“The 50s were great,” he said. “Everything was going just fine until women got the vote.”

“You realize that by the 50s women had been voting for over 30 years,” I said.

He just kind of stopped for a second, considered the thought, ignored it and moved on. And to be fair to him, he did expand the point: it wasn’t just women voting that was the problem. It was all racial minorities, homosexuals and “children.”  I thought I’d comfort him by telling him that children still don’t have the right to vote, but I couldn’t really get a word in.

From there we moved on to evolution (“So you believe we came from monkeys? That it went ooze-fish-monkeys-man? Really?”) and then on to religion (“I’m not one of those crazy people, but religion has done more to disprove science than science has to prove evolution”).  He noted at one point that he got a concussion in that hit-and-run last week. I nodded.

Eventually our friend — who would not let me take his picture sadly, because I believe that by that time he realized (a) I was a writer; and (b) I was taking mental notes — mentioned that three women were coming to meet him there and implied that, if we played our cards right, maybe  Connor and I could get lucky.

I figured that was his tallest tale of the evening but I’ll be damned if three women didn’t eventually show up. One had a boyfriend with her. None of them seemed like people who would hang out with our friend, here. Indeed, when he went to use the restroom, one of the women said that she didn’t know the guy’s name and that they just call him “the guy who got hit by the car.”  I am still unclear on why they would all meet him out at a bar.

I was likewise unclear why I was still talking to him, but eventually he disappeared into the night.  I’m still not 100% certain that he existed. It’s possible someone spiked my Double-Double animal style or slipped a mickey into Moose Drool brown ale.  But if he did exist, just know that people like him walk the Earth. Well, sort of stagger the Earth, but still.

Freakin’ Arizona. Drink here at your peril.  Or maybe just don’t go out with Connor Doyle, because for as great a guy as he is, he seems to attract the weird ones.

Back to baseball this morning. I’m heading to the Peoria Sports Complex where I will witness the debut of Yu Darvish.  A man who, until last night, I figured would be the most interesting person I’d meet in Spring Training.

Reports from the ballpark later, my friends.

Latest Posts
  1. Ryan Raburn: you are not supposed to spike the baseball, dude

Jul 25, 2014, 7:17 AM EDT

Raburn spike

Ryan Raburn is gonna be buying Corey Kluber steaks for the foreseeable future.

2. And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Jul 25, 2014, 6:47 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-07-25 at 6.46.57 AM Getty Images

It was a day of blowouts and fine pitching performances.

3. Report: Yankees talking to Padres about a deal for Ian Kennedy

Jul 24, 2014, 11:19 PM EDT

f9709064dc0d3dbba119326284ff6ded AP

The Yankees are reportedly considering a reunion with right-hander Ian Kennedy.

4. Jonathan Papelbon to Phillies fans: Bring on the boos

Jul 24, 2014, 11:18 PM EDT

201b75e51f895253777b6c9537344e55 Getty Images

Jonathan Papelbon was booed by Phillies fans this afternoon, but it didn’t bother him. In fact, he says bring it on.

5. The Astros are hesitant to trade Chad Qualls

Jul 24, 2014, 10:20 PM EDT

Chad Qualls Getty Getty Images

Chad Qualls quietly owns a 1.78 ERA this season. The Astros are reluctant to deal him.

6. Picture of the Day: Dallas Keuchel has a clever message for a heckler

Jul 24, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

Dallas Keuchel AP AP

Astros left-hander Dallas Keuchel tossed a baseball to a heckler during today’s game against the Athletics. And the ball contained a clever message.

7. MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation

Jul 24, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

astros logo

When the Astros failed to agree to terms with No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken earlier this month, many speculated that the next step would be a grievance against the team from the MLBPA. That’s exactly what has happened.

8. The Mariners are interested in Drew Stubbs

Jul 24, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT

Drew Stubbs Getty Getty Images

The Mariners brought back Kendrys Morales in a deal with the Twins today, but they aren’t done attempting to upgrade.

9. Report: Phillies “working hard” to trade Ryan Howard

Jul 24, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT

Ryan Howard AP AP

The Phillies appear ready to move on from Ryan Howard.

10. Yankees acquire left-hander Chris Capuano from the Rockies

Jul 24, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT

Chris Capuano Getty Getty Images

Yankees general manager Brian Cashman continues to stay busy.

11. Zach Putnam lands on disabled list with shoulder inflammation

Jul 24, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT

Zach Putnam AP

Zach Putnam has had a share of the closer role with the White Sox in recent weeks, but now he’s headed to the 15-day disabled list due to right shoulder inflammation.

12. Fractured fibula likely to keep Astros prospect Carlos Correa from Arizona Fall League

Jul 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT

Carlos Correa AP

Before the injury Correa was having an excellent season, hitting .325 with 20 steals in 62 games at high Single-A as a 19-year-old.

13. Ryan Howard does not seem too happy about platooning

Jul 24, 2014, 5:32 PM EDT

ryan howard getty Getty Images

It’s been bad in Philly. Is it starting to get ugly?

14. Masahiro Tanaka “is still reporting discomfort in his elbow”

Jul 24, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT

Masahiro Tanaka AP AP

Yankees ace Masahiro Tanaka is supposed to rest for six weeks before doctors determine if he needs Tommy John elbow surgery, but 10 days into the process things aren’t going well.

15. The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience

Jul 24, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT

140724-frank-thomas-1000 Getty Images

Frank Thomas is headed to the Hall of Fame thanks to his legendary batting eye.

16. Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams

Jul 24, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT

Sad Phillies fans

Everyone has a gift. This is my gift. I shall now share it with you.

17. Chuck Knoblauch arrested, accused of assaulting ex-wife

Jul 24, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Chuck Knoblauch

According to K-HOU television in Houston the 46-year-old Knoblauch has been charged with assault of a family member, Cheri Knoblauch, whom he divorced in 2012.

18. Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor

Jul 24, 2014, 2:51 PM EDT

Kendrys-Morales-Twins Getty Images

Kendrys Morales had a good first week for the Twins after sitting out the first two months of the season and then signing a one-year, $7.5 million deal in June, but he’s been horrendous since then while hitting .209 with one homer and a .524 OPS in 33 games.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3481)