Scenes from Spring Training: The Most Interesting Man in the World

Mar 7, 2012, 7:51 AM EDT

TT Roadhoue

After I left the ballpark yesterday afternoon I came back to my hotel and placed my health first among all other things. First, I moved into my new non-smoking room, which was good for my lungs. Then I went to the fitness center and ran on a treadmill for 45 minutes which was good for my heart, body and soul.

Then I went to In-n-Out Burger and ate this followed by a trip to a dive bar called TT Roadhouse where I hoisted the moist with a friend of mine. No, I don’t think it’s safe to say that I’m in the best shape of my life after all of that. Hell, I’m not even in the best shape of the bloggers on this site.

The friend of mine was a former sportswriter and former blogger named Connor Doyle who I met back in the Shysterball days.  When I was here last year, as some of you may remember, I had beers with him and DIPS legend Voros McCracken and nearly started a race riot. Last night wasn’t quite as scary, but it definitely turned strange.

We had been there a little over an hour or so when a man with a gigantic head wound came up and sat down at our table and began talking to us. He began in mid-sentence as if he had been with us all night, and took up the political conversation Connor and I were having. Well, OK then. He did pause long enough for Connor to ask him what happened to his head. Seems he was walking with a girl last week when a man ran him over with a car and then drove away. He treated the explanation as though it was bothersome and unimportant and continued on with his political monologue. Well, OK again.

The substance of the monologue: if he had a time machine and could go back and change one historical event, it would be to prevent women getting the right to vote. Really: that’s when he believes all of our country’s problems began.

“The 50s were great,” he said. “Everything was going just fine until women got the vote.”

“You realize that by the 50s women had been voting for over 30 years,” I said.

He just kind of stopped for a second, considered the thought, ignored it and moved on. And to be fair to him, he did expand the point: it wasn’t just women voting that was the problem. It was all racial minorities, homosexuals and “children.”  I thought I’d comfort him by telling him that children still don’t have the right to vote, but I couldn’t really get a word in.

From there we moved on to evolution (“So you believe we came from monkeys? That it went ooze-fish-monkeys-man? Really?”) and then on to religion (“I’m not one of those crazy people, but religion has done more to disprove science than science has to prove evolution”).  He noted at one point that he got a concussion in that hit-and-run last week. I nodded.

Eventually our friend — who would not let me take his picture sadly, because I believe that by that time he realized (a) I was a writer; and (b) I was taking mental notes — mentioned that three women were coming to meet him there and implied that, if we played our cards right, maybe  Connor and I could get lucky.

I figured that was his tallest tale of the evening but I’ll be damned if three women didn’t eventually show up. One had a boyfriend with her. None of them seemed like people who would hang out with our friend, here. Indeed, when he went to use the restroom, one of the women said that she didn’t know the guy’s name and that they just call him “the guy who got hit by the car.”  I am still unclear on why they would all meet him out at a bar.

I was likewise unclear why I was still talking to him, but eventually he disappeared into the night.  I’m still not 100% certain that he existed. It’s possible someone spiked my Double-Double animal style or slipped a mickey into Moose Drool brown ale.  But if he did exist, just know that people like him walk the Earth. Well, sort of stagger the Earth, but still.

Freakin’ Arizona. Drink here at your peril.  Or maybe just don’t go out with Connor Doyle, because for as great a guy as he is, he seems to attract the weird ones.

Back to baseball this morning. I’m heading to the Peoria Sports Complex where I will witness the debut of Yu Darvish.  A man who, until last night, I figured would be the most interesting person I’d meet in Spring Training.

Reports from the ballpark later, my friends.

Latest Posts
  1. Bailed out by offense, Ned Yost lives another day

Oct 1, 2014, 2:02 AM EDT

Wild Card Game - Oakland Athletics v Kansas City Royals Getty Images

Yost’s controversial call fails to doom Royals after all.

2. A’s will have six months to play the “what if” game

Oct 1, 2014, 1:44 AM EDT

Jonny Gomes, Sam Fuld Jonny Gomes, Sam Fuld

In-game losses left the A’s undermanned in defeat.

3. Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game

Oct 1, 2014, 1:29 AM EDT

salvador perez getty Getty Images

In case you missed it, here is the replay of Salvador Perez’s walkoff hit from Tuesday night’s AL Wild Card Game …

4. Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game

Oct 1, 2014, 1:25 AM EDT

Wild Card Game - Oakland Athletics v Kansas City Royals Getty Images

You get a bunt and you get a bunt and you get a bunt!

5. Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game

Oct 1, 2014, 1:10 AM EDT

eric hosmer getty Getty Images

Salvador Perez was held hitless in his first five at-bats of Tuesday’s American League Wild Card Game at Kauffman Stadium in Kansas City, but he smacked a walkoff RBI single down the left-field line in the 12th inning to give the Royals a 9-8 victory over the A’s.

6. Coco Crisp exits Wild Card Game with hamstring injury

Oct 1, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT

coco crisp getty Getty Images

A’s center fielder Coco Crisp was removed from Tuesday night’s American League Wild Card Game before the bottom of the 11th inning with an apparent hamstring injury.

7. Royals tie AL Wild Card Game in bottom of the ninth

Sep 30, 2014, 11:49 PM EDT

jarrod dyson getty Getty Images

We’ve got a brand new ballgame in Kansas City.

8. Hyun-Jin Ryu will test his injured left shoulder with a simulated game Wednesday

Sep 30, 2014, 10:53 PM EDT

ryu getty Getty Images

Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu will test his injured shoulder in a simulated game Wednesday. He’s hoping to start Game 3 of the NLDS in St. Louis.

9. Brandon Moss slugs three-run shot, A’s jump back on top

Sep 30, 2014, 10:18 PM EDT

brandon moss getty Getty Images

Oakland opened the floodgates on the Royals in the sixth inning.

10. Video: Eric Hosmer hits go-ahead RBI single, Royals lead Athletics in AL Wild Card Game

Sep 30, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

hosmer getty Getty Images

Watch the host Royals take the lead in Tuesday’s American League Wild Card Game against the visiting A’s on this RBI bloop single from Eric Hosmer in the bottom of the third inning …

11. Geovany Soto leaves Wild Card game with thumb injury

Sep 30, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT

Geovany Soto Athletics AP

Derek Norris came off the bench to replace him.

12. Matt Shoemaker throws another bullpen session, has “no doubt” he can pitch in ALDS

Sep 30, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT

matt shoemaker getty Getty Images

Angels starter Matt Shoemaker hasn’t pitched in a game since September 15 due to a left oblique strain, but he is making steady progress behind the scenes and expects to be available for the ALDS.

13. Braves hitting coach Greg Walker has resigned

Sep 30, 2014, 8:04 PM EDT

braves logo

Braves hitting coach Greg Walker officially stepped down on Tuesday evening, as announced on the club’s Twitter feed.

14. Travis Ishikawa will be Giants’ left fielder in Wild Card game

Sep 30, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT

ishikawa_travis AP

Ishikawa is 31 years old and has started a grand total of three career games in the outfield.

15. Clay Buchholz undergoes surgery on right knee

Sep 30, 2014, 7:08 PM EDT

clay buchholz getty Getty Images

Red Sox starter Clay Buchholz underwent surgery Tuesday to correct a right meniscus injury that bothered him off and on throughout the 2014 season. He should have a fairly normal winter.

16. Clayton Kershaw “likely” to pitch on short rest if needed

Sep 30, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT

Clayton Kershaw AP

Kershaw and Greinke four times in five games?

17. Cubs expect Javier Baez to be their Opening Day second baseman despite rookie struggles

Sep 30, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT

javier baez Getty Images

Javier Baez hit just .169 with 95 strikeouts in 52 games as a 21-year-old rookie.

18. Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS

Sep 30, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT

josh hamilton getty Getty Images

Josh Hamilton has played in just one game since September 4 due to shoulder, chest, and rib cage injuries, but the 33-year-old outfielder took batting practice, threw some long toss, and ran the bases on Tuesday afternoon and has declared himself ready for the ALDS, which begins on Thursday.

19. The Cardinals have the Best Fans In Baseball

Sep 30, 2014, 5:29 PM EDT

old TV

It’s all about how you define the term “best,” of course.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3324)