Scenes from Spring Training: The Most Interesting Man in the World

Mar 7, 2012, 7:51 AM EST

TT Roadhoue

After I left the ballpark yesterday afternoon I came back to my hotel and placed my health first among all other things. First, I moved into my new non-smoking room, which was good for my lungs. Then I went to the fitness center and ran on a treadmill for 45 minutes which was good for my heart, body and soul.

Then I went to In-n-Out Burger and ate this followed by a trip to a dive bar called TT Roadhouse where I hoisted the moist with a friend of mine. No, I don’t think it’s safe to say that I’m in the best shape of my life after all of that. Hell, I’m not even in the best shape of the bloggers on this site.

The friend of mine was a former sportswriter and former blogger named Connor Doyle who I met back in the Shysterball days.  When I was here last year, as some of you may remember, I had beers with him and DIPS legend Voros McCracken and nearly started a race riot. Last night wasn’t quite as scary, but it definitely turned strange.

We had been there a little over an hour or so when a man with a gigantic head wound came up and sat down at our table and began talking to us. He began in mid-sentence as if he had been with us all night, and took up the political conversation Connor and I were having. Well, OK then. He did pause long enough for Connor to ask him what happened to his head. Seems he was walking with a girl last week when a man ran him over with a car and then drove away. He treated the explanation as though it was bothersome and unimportant and continued on with his political monologue. Well, OK again.

The substance of the monologue: if he had a time machine and could go back and change one historical event, it would be to prevent women getting the right to vote. Really: that’s when he believes all of our country’s problems began.

“The 50s were great,” he said. “Everything was going just fine until women got the vote.”

“You realize that by the 50s women had been voting for over 30 years,” I said.

He just kind of stopped for a second, considered the thought, ignored it and moved on. And to be fair to him, he did expand the point: it wasn’t just women voting that was the problem. It was all racial minorities, homosexuals and “children.”  I thought I’d comfort him by telling him that children still don’t have the right to vote, but I couldn’t really get a word in.

From there we moved on to evolution (“So you believe we came from monkeys? That it went ooze-fish-monkeys-man? Really?”) and then on to religion (“I’m not one of those crazy people, but religion has done more to disprove science than science has to prove evolution”).  He noted at one point that he got a concussion in that hit-and-run last week. I nodded.

Eventually our friend — who would not let me take his picture sadly, because I believe that by that time he realized (a) I was a writer; and (b) I was taking mental notes — mentioned that three women were coming to meet him there and implied that, if we played our cards right, maybe  Connor and I could get lucky.

I figured that was his tallest tale of the evening but I’ll be damned if three women didn’t eventually show up. One had a boyfriend with her. None of them seemed like people who would hang out with our friend, here. Indeed, when he went to use the restroom, one of the women said that she didn’t know the guy’s name and that they just call him “the guy who got hit by the car.”  I am still unclear on why they would all meet him out at a bar.

I was likewise unclear why I was still talking to him, but eventually he disappeared into the night.  I’m still not 100% certain that he existed. It’s possible someone spiked my Double-Double animal style or slipped a mickey into Moose Drool brown ale.  But if he did exist, just know that people like him walk the Earth. Well, sort of stagger the Earth, but still.

Freakin’ Arizona. Drink here at your peril.  Or maybe just don’t go out with Connor Doyle, because for as great a guy as he is, he seems to attract the weird ones.

Back to baseball this morning. I’m heading to the Peoria Sports Complex where I will witness the debut of Yu Darvish.  A man who, until last night, I figured would be the most interesting person I’d meet in Spring Training.

Reports from the ballpark later, my friends.

Latest Posts
  1. Rangers doubtful to consider Josh Hamilton reunion

Jan 25, 2015, 4:41 PM EST

josh hamilton getty Getty Images

MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez wrote earlier this month that it’s unlikely Josh Hamilton will finish out his five-year, $125 million contract as a member of the Angels and that a trade may even be coming this season — in the third year of the five-year deal. But we can probably rule out a reunion with the Rangers.

2. Mike Napoli calls sleep apnea surgery “one of the worst things I’ve ever (gone through)”

Jan 25, 2015, 3:17 PM EST

napoli getty Getty Images

Sean McAdam of CSNNewEngland.com shares the gory details about the painful facial surgery that Mike Napoli had earlier this offseason to help end his long battle with sleep apnea …

3. Max Scherzer thanks Tigers fans with full-page goodbye in Sunday’s Detroit Free Press

Jan 25, 2015, 2:58 PM EST

1ad

A nice gesture here from Max Scherzer, who signed a $210 million deal Monday with the Nationals …

4. Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette

Jan 25, 2015, 1:33 PM EST

showalter duquette getty Getty Images

Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca reports that the Blue Jays have ended their pursuit of Orioles executive Dan Duquette because Baltimore asked for 2014 first-round pick Jeff Hoffman and two other prospects in return.

5. Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts

Jan 25, 2015, 12:05 PM EST

manfred getty Getty Images

Rob Manfred has officially been reigned in as the new commissioner of Major League Baseball and he said something controversial in a sit-down interview this weekend with ESPN’s Karl Ravech …

6. Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt

Jan 25, 2015, 11:02 AM EST

alex rodriguez head Getty Images

Another New York Daily News source added that A-Rod is looking “noticeably thinner and massless,” so you get the sense these bits of information — however truthful — definitely aren’t coming from his camp.

7. Video: Ernie Banks remembered

Jan 25, 2015, 9:39 AM EST

ernie banks getty Getty Images

MLB Network looks back on the career of Ernie Banks, who died Friday at the age of 83 …

8. Tommy Milone had a benign tumor removed from his neck

Jan 24, 2015, 10:40 PM EST

Tommy Milone Tommy Milone

Tommy Milone underwent neck surgery in December to remove a benign tumor, but he was able to resume throwing just over two weeks later.

9. Twins GM Terry Ryan could see Byron Buxton debuting in 2015

Jan 24, 2015, 9:35 PM EST

Byron Buxton Getty Images

Top prospect Byron Buxton could be wearing a Twins uniform in the major leagues at some point this season according to GM Terry Ryan.

10. Tigers, Al Alburquerque avoid arbitration with a one-year deal

Jan 24, 2015, 8:30 PM EST

Al Alburquerque AP

The Tigers and reliever Al Alburquerque avoided arbitration with a one-year deal on Saturday.

11. Proposed Jonathan Papelbon trade to Brewers is “on life support”

Jan 24, 2015, 7:25 PM EST

Jonathan Papelbon Jonathan Papelbon

A Jonathan Papelbon trade to the Brewers may not be happening after all.

12. Mariners considering bringing back Franklin Gutierrez

Jan 24, 2015, 6:20 PM EST

Franklin Gutierrez Getty Images

Franklin Gutierrez could make a return to the Mariners. The 31-year-old outfielder has had trouble staying healthy over the last few years.

13. Twins and Brian Duensing agree to one-year deal to avoid arbitration

Jan 24, 2015, 5:28 PM EST

Brian Duensing Getty Getty Images

Duensing he has been useful and durable as a middle reliever over the past two seasons, posting a 3.67 ERA (110 ERA+) in 115 1/3 innings over 135 appearances.

14. Report: Brandon Beachy has decided on a team

Jan 24, 2015, 4:53 PM EST

Brandon Beachy AP

Beachy is currently making his way back from his second Tommy John surgery.

15. Report: More than 200 scouts attended recent workout for Cuban infielder Hector Olivera

Jan 24, 2015, 4:01 PM EST

Hector Olivera Getty Getty Images

The Giants, Padres, Rangers, Braves, and Yankees are among the teams showing strong interest in Olivera.

16. 1953 scouting report for Ernie Banks

Jan 24, 2015, 3:15 PM EST

Ernie Banks AP AP

Check out this scouting report from when Banks was 22 years old.

17. Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks

Jan 24, 2015, 2:40 PM EST

MLB Photos Archive

From the start, even in those turbulent times, even though Chicago was finding its way in a changing America, people in Chicago did not see the color of his skin. From the start, Chicago loved Ernie Banks.

18. Ryan Vogelsong “really wasn’t comfortable with what was going on” with Astros before returning to Giants

Jan 24, 2015, 2:16 PM EST

vogelsong getty Getty Images

Did something strange happen between Ryan Vogelsong and the Astros which led to his return to the Giants?

19. Vince Coleman joining White Sox staff to help with baserunning

Jan 24, 2015, 1:11 PM EST

Vince Coleman Getty Getty Images

Coleman, who ranks sixth on MLB’s all-time list with 752 stolen bases, spent last the two seasons as a minor league outfield/baserunning coach with the Astros.

20. Athletics and Fernando Abad avoid arbitration with one-year deal

Jan 24, 2015, 12:05 PM EST

Fernando Abad AP AP

Abad, 29, posted an excellent 1.57 ERA and 51/15 K/BB ratio across 57 1/3 innings out of Oakland’s bullpen in 2014.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester