Scenes from Spring Training: The Most Interesting Man in the World

Mar 7, 2012, 7:51 AM EDT

TT Roadhoue

After I left the ballpark yesterday afternoon I came back to my hotel and placed my health first among all other things. First, I moved into my new non-smoking room, which was good for my lungs. Then I went to the fitness center and ran on a treadmill for 45 minutes which was good for my heart, body and soul.

Then I went to In-n-Out Burger and ate this followed by a trip to a dive bar called TT Roadhouse where I hoisted the moist with a friend of mine. No, I don’t think it’s safe to say that I’m in the best shape of my life after all of that. Hell, I’m not even in the best shape of the bloggers on this site.

The friend of mine was a former sportswriter and former blogger named Connor Doyle who I met back in the Shysterball days.  When I was here last year, as some of you may remember, I had beers with him and DIPS legend Voros McCracken and nearly started a race riot. Last night wasn’t quite as scary, but it definitely turned strange.

We had been there a little over an hour or so when a man with a gigantic head wound came up and sat down at our table and began talking to us. He began in mid-sentence as if he had been with us all night, and took up the political conversation Connor and I were having. Well, OK then. He did pause long enough for Connor to ask him what happened to his head. Seems he was walking with a girl last week when a man ran him over with a car and then drove away. He treated the explanation as though it was bothersome and unimportant and continued on with his political monologue. Well, OK again.

The substance of the monologue: if he had a time machine and could go back and change one historical event, it would be to prevent women getting the right to vote. Really: that’s when he believes all of our country’s problems began.

“The 50s were great,” he said. “Everything was going just fine until women got the vote.”

“You realize that by the 50s women had been voting for over 30 years,” I said.

He just kind of stopped for a second, considered the thought, ignored it and moved on. And to be fair to him, he did expand the point: it wasn’t just women voting that was the problem. It was all racial minorities, homosexuals and “children.”  I thought I’d comfort him by telling him that children still don’t have the right to vote, but I couldn’t really get a word in.

From there we moved on to evolution (“So you believe we came from monkeys? That it went ooze-fish-monkeys-man? Really?”) and then on to religion (“I’m not one of those crazy people, but religion has done more to disprove science than science has to prove evolution”).  He noted at one point that he got a concussion in that hit-and-run last week. I nodded.

Eventually our friend — who would not let me take his picture sadly, because I believe that by that time he realized (a) I was a writer; and (b) I was taking mental notes — mentioned that three women were coming to meet him there and implied that, if we played our cards right, maybe  Connor and I could get lucky.

I figured that was his tallest tale of the evening but I’ll be damned if three women didn’t eventually show up. One had a boyfriend with her. None of them seemed like people who would hang out with our friend, here. Indeed, when he went to use the restroom, one of the women said that she didn’t know the guy’s name and that they just call him “the guy who got hit by the car.”  I am still unclear on why they would all meet him out at a bar.

I was likewise unclear why I was still talking to him, but eventually he disappeared into the night.  I’m still not 100% certain that he existed. It’s possible someone spiked my Double-Double animal style or slipped a mickey into Moose Drool brown ale.  But if he did exist, just know that people like him walk the Earth. Well, sort of stagger the Earth, but still.

Freakin’ Arizona. Drink here at your peril.  Or maybe just don’t go out with Connor Doyle, because for as great a guy as he is, he seems to attract the weird ones.

Back to baseball this morning. I’m heading to the Peoria Sports Complex where I will witness the debut of Yu Darvish.  A man who, until last night, I figured would be the most interesting person I’d meet in Spring Training.

Reports from the ballpark later, my friends.

Latest Posts
  1. Johnny Cueto expected to return to Reds’ rotation Sunday

May 27, 2015, 11:27 PM EDT

cueto getty Getty Images

Reds ace Johnny Cueto was scratched from a start last week after experiencing stiffness in his right elbow, but an MRI taken Tuesday afternoon came up clean …

2. Video: Bryce Harper slugs his 18th home run

May 27, 2015, 10:14 PM EDT

bryce harper getty Getty Images

Harper has slugged 13 home runs over his last 19 games.

3. Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad

May 27, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT

matt adams getty Getty Images

Cardinals first baseman Matt Adams tore his right quadriceps muscle Tuesday while legging out a double.

4. Dodgers designate Sergio Santos for assignment

May 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT

sergio santos getty Getty Images

Santos had registered an underwhelming 4.73 ERA, 1.50 WHIP, and 15/7 K/BB ratio in 13 1/3 innings of relief this season for the Dodgers.

5. Video: Jimmy Paredes stole home

May 27, 2015, 7:18 PM EDT

jimmy paredes getty Getty Images

Just call him Jimmy “The Jet” Paredes.

6. Red Sox acquire outfielder Carlos Peguero from Rangers

May 27, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT

peguero getty Getty Images

Peguero was designated for assignment by the Rangers on May 20 after batting .186/.310/.414 with four home runs and nine RBI in 84 plate appearances.

7. Cardinals first baseman Matt Adams out indefinitely with torn quadriceps, may need surgery

May 27, 2015, 5:19 PM EDT

matt adams cardinals getty Getty Images

Adams was off to a slow start this season, but he’s hit .277 with a .770 OPS in 320 games for the Cardinals since debuting in 2012.

8. Al Kaline’s last game

May 27, 2015, 5:09 PM EDT

Portrait of Al Kaline

Everything ends badly. Otherwise it wouldn’t end.

9. Scott Kazmir leaves the Tigers-Athletics game with an apparent injury

May 27, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT

Scott Kazmir AP

A bad season for the A’s is starting to look worse.

10. Felix Hernandez and Chris Archer dueled. Chris Archer, by one measure, pitched better. Felix Hernandez won.

May 27, 2015, 3:36 PM EDT

Felix Hernandez Getty Images

Game scores are interesting things. Wins — the team kind, anyway — are far more satisfying.

11. Orioles drop $5 million outfielder Alejandro De Aza

May 27, 2015, 2:18 PM EDT

Alejandro De Aza AP AP

De Aza played very well for the Orioles down the stretch last season.

12. Angels acquire outfielder Kirk Nieuwenhuis from Mets

May 27, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT

Kirk Nieuwenhuis Getty Images

Several reports last week had the Angels in the market for outfield help.

13. The “Selig Experience” attraction opens this week at Miller Park

May 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT

MLB Commissioner Bud Selig speaks during a news conference in New York Reuters

“A multimedia show featuring a virtual Selig.” Yes, that’s actually a thing.

14. Matt Wieters begins rehab assignment with two hits

May 27, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

Matt Wieters Getty Getty Images

He’s about 11 months removed from Tommy John surgery.

15. Cubs release left-hander Phil Coke

May 27, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT

Chicago Cubs relief pitcher Phil Coke throws against the Milwaukee Brewers during the seventh inning of a baseball game, Saturday, May 2, 2015 in Chicago. (AP Photo/David Banks) AP

Coke signed a one-year, $2.25 million deal with the Cubs this offseason.

16. Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager

May 27, 2015, 11:01 AM EDT

Alex Rodriguez AP

And you think my A-Rod trolling kung-fu is the best. Heck, I’m an amateur.

1. J. Hamilton (3271)