Scenes from Spring Training: The Most Interesting Man in the World

Mar 7, 2012, 7:51 AM EDT

TT Roadhoue

After I left the ballpark yesterday afternoon I came back to my hotel and placed my health first among all other things. First, I moved into my new non-smoking room, which was good for my lungs. Then I went to the fitness center and ran on a treadmill for 45 minutes which was good for my heart, body and soul.

Then I went to In-n-Out Burger and ate this followed by a trip to a dive bar called TT Roadhouse where I hoisted the moist with a friend of mine. No, I don’t think it’s safe to say that I’m in the best shape of my life after all of that. Hell, I’m not even in the best shape of the bloggers on this site.

The friend of mine was a former sportswriter and former blogger named Connor Doyle who I met back in the Shysterball days.  When I was here last year, as some of you may remember, I had beers with him and DIPS legend Voros McCracken and nearly started a race riot. Last night wasn’t quite as scary, but it definitely turned strange.

We had been there a little over an hour or so when a man with a gigantic head wound came up and sat down at our table and began talking to us. He began in mid-sentence as if he had been with us all night, and took up the political conversation Connor and I were having. Well, OK then. He did pause long enough for Connor to ask him what happened to his head. Seems he was walking with a girl last week when a man ran him over with a car and then drove away. He treated the explanation as though it was bothersome and unimportant and continued on with his political monologue. Well, OK again.

The substance of the monologue: if he had a time machine and could go back and change one historical event, it would be to prevent women getting the right to vote. Really: that’s when he believes all of our country’s problems began.

“The 50s were great,” he said. “Everything was going just fine until women got the vote.”

“You realize that by the 50s women had been voting for over 30 years,” I said.

He just kind of stopped for a second, considered the thought, ignored it and moved on. And to be fair to him, he did expand the point: it wasn’t just women voting that was the problem. It was all racial minorities, homosexuals and “children.”  I thought I’d comfort him by telling him that children still don’t have the right to vote, but I couldn’t really get a word in.

From there we moved on to evolution (“So you believe we came from monkeys? That it went ooze-fish-monkeys-man? Really?”) and then on to religion (“I’m not one of those crazy people, but religion has done more to disprove science than science has to prove evolution”).  He noted at one point that he got a concussion in that hit-and-run last week. I nodded.

Eventually our friend — who would not let me take his picture sadly, because I believe that by that time he realized (a) I was a writer; and (b) I was taking mental notes — mentioned that three women were coming to meet him there and implied that, if we played our cards right, maybe  Connor and I could get lucky.

I figured that was his tallest tale of the evening but I’ll be damned if three women didn’t eventually show up. One had a boyfriend with her. None of them seemed like people who would hang out with our friend, here. Indeed, when he went to use the restroom, one of the women said that she didn’t know the guy’s name and that they just call him “the guy who got hit by the car.”  I am still unclear on why they would all meet him out at a bar.

I was likewise unclear why I was still talking to him, but eventually he disappeared into the night.  I’m still not 100% certain that he existed. It’s possible someone spiked my Double-Double animal style or slipped a mickey into Moose Drool brown ale.  But if he did exist, just know that people like him walk the Earth. Well, sort of stagger the Earth, but still.

Freakin’ Arizona. Drink here at your peril.  Or maybe just don’t go out with Connor Doyle, because for as great a guy as he is, he seems to attract the weird ones.

Back to baseball this morning. I’m heading to the Peoria Sports Complex where I will witness the debut of Yu Darvish.  A man who, until last night, I figured would be the most interesting person I’d meet in Spring Training.

Reports from the ballpark later, my friends.

Latest Posts
  1. Mike Napoli suffers dislocated left ring finger

Apr 16, 2014, 12:03 AM EDT

mike napoli getty Getty Images

From Tim Britton of the Providence Journal comes word that Red Sox first baseman Mike Napoli was removed from Tuesday night’s series-opener against the White Sox with a dislocation of his left ring finger. X-rays were negative, meaning he does not have a fracture.

2. Josh Johnson to visit Dr. James Andrews … again

Apr 15, 2014, 11:28 PM EDT

josh johnson getty Getty Images

Josh Johnson’s arm injury woes continue. According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, the right-handed starter is still being bothered by discomfort in his forearm and will be examined next week by Dr. James Andrews.

3. Clayton Kershaw throws 26-pitch bullpen session

Apr 15, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT

clayton kershaw getty Getty Images

Clayton Kershaw continued his recovery from a teres major muscle strain on Tuesday, throwing a bullpen session with improved fastball velocity.

4. Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday

Apr 15, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT

jose reyes getty Getty Images

Blue Jays shortstop Jose Reyes was pulled from the club’s season-opener with tightness in his left hamstring. He is expected to return to action this Friday.

5. White Sox don “Boston Strong, Sox Together” shirts before game Tuesday vs. Red Sox

Apr 15, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT

konerko boston

On the one-year anniversary of the Boston Marathon bombings and with the Red Sox in town for a three-game series, the White Sox wore these “Boston Strong” shirts during pregame warmups Tuesday …

6. Taijuan Walker scratched from rehab start at AAA Tacoma with more shoulder discomfort

Apr 15, 2014, 8:23 PM EDT

taijuan walker getty Getty Images

Mariners top pitching prospect Taijuan Walker was scheduled to make one final rehab start on Tuesday at Triple-A Tacoma before joining the major league starting rotation. But that plan can now be torched.

7. Curtis Granderson rocking “Thank You Jackie” cleats

Apr 15, 2014, 7:41 PM EDT

granderson cleats

Curtis Granderson is not in the Mets’ starting lineup against the host Diamondbacks because of minor rib cage, forearm, and knee injuries that he sustained in a collision with the outfield wall on Monday, but he will be sporting these custom cleats on the bench …

8. Wilson Ramos gets stitches removed from left hand

Apr 15, 2014, 6:58 PM EDT

wilson ramos getty Getty Images

According to beat writer James Wagner of the Washington Post, Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos got the stitches removed from his surgically-repaired left hand on Tuesday afternoon and has now been cleared to begin basic rehab activities.

9. Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday

Apr 15, 2014, 6:10 PM EDT

dustin pedroia getty Getty Images

Tests taken Monday on the sore left wrist of Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia ruled out any major structural damage. He is not in the starting lineup for Tuesday night’s series-opener against the White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field, but ESPN’s Gordon Edes says Pedroia is aiming to return on Wednesday.

10. One study: teams named after Indians are costing themselves millions by NOT changing their mascots

Apr 15, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT

Chief Wahoo guy

I can’t vouch for the study, but I do know this much: politics gets this stuff in the news, but money is what will ultimately change things.

11. Darnell McDonald joins Cubs front office two weeks after retiring

Apr 15, 2014, 4:40 PM EDT

darnell mcdonald getty Getty Images

Earlier this month journeyman outfielder Darnell McDonald announced his retirement via Instagram and he’s already landed a good post-playing gig in the Cubs’ front office as a baseball operations assistant.

12. The Braves own the Nationals. It must be true, Wikipedia said so.

Apr 15, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

nationals logo patch

If it’s on the Internet, it must be true.

13. Indians activate Michael Bourn, demote Nyjer Morgan

Apr 15, 2014, 3:21 PM EDT

michael bourn getty Getty Images

Michael Bourn is back from the disabled list after being sidelined since the middle of spring training with a hamstring injury and to make room for his return the Indians optioned Nyjer Morgan back to Triple-A.

14. HBT Daily: Jackie Robinson Day and the decline of U.S.-born blacks in baseball

Apr 15, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT

Jackie Robinson

There are fewer U.S.-born blacks playing baseball today than there were 20-30 years ago. But how many fewer, and what can be done about it?

15. Shockingly, Bill Plashcke’s take on the L.A. Magazine story about Yasiel Puig misses the point

Apr 15, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT

Yasiel Puig AP AP

To some people, Yasiel Puig will always be a problem rather than a person.

16. Yankees place Francisco Cervelli on the 60-day disabled list

Apr 15, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT

Baltimore Orioles v New York Yankees Baltimore Orioles v New York Yankees

Francisco Cervelli injured his hamstring Sunday night and the Yankees have placed the backup catcher on the 60-day disabled list rather than the usual 15-day disabled list.

17. Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists

Apr 15, 2014, 1:19 PM EDT

Hank Aaron AP AP

Thank God he didn’t suggest people still had the capacity for violence, or else the manner in which these idiots took offense might’ve been even worse.

18. John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay

Apr 15, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

John Farrell AP

MLB sends an odd message given how open they’ve been about instant replay being a work-in-progress.

19. Mike Moustakas and the meaninglessness of spring training

Apr 15, 2014, 12:48 PM EDT

Mike Moustakas AP

Every year lots of people act like spring training numbers mean something and every year they don’t. I guess there’s really no way of avoiding it, since everyone is so excited to have any kind of baseball to watch again after a long winter that they latch onto some random 20-game sample against varying degrees of competition.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet