Scenes from Spring Training: The Most Interesting Man in the World

Mar 7, 2012, 7:51 AM EDT

TT Roadhoue

After I left the ballpark yesterday afternoon I came back to my hotel and placed my health first among all other things. First, I moved into my new non-smoking room, which was good for my lungs. Then I went to the fitness center and ran on a treadmill for 45 minutes which was good for my heart, body and soul.

Then I went to In-n-Out Burger and ate this followed by a trip to a dive bar called TT Roadhouse where I hoisted the moist with a friend of mine. No, I don’t think it’s safe to say that I’m in the best shape of my life after all of that. Hell, I’m not even in the best shape of the bloggers on this site.

The friend of mine was a former sportswriter and former blogger named Connor Doyle who I met back in the Shysterball days.  When I was here last year, as some of you may remember, I had beers with him and DIPS legend Voros McCracken and nearly started a race riot. Last night wasn’t quite as scary, but it definitely turned strange.

We had been there a little over an hour or so when a man with a gigantic head wound came up and sat down at our table and began talking to us. He began in mid-sentence as if he had been with us all night, and took up the political conversation Connor and I were having. Well, OK then. He did pause long enough for Connor to ask him what happened to his head. Seems he was walking with a girl last week when a man ran him over with a car and then drove away. He treated the explanation as though it was bothersome and unimportant and continued on with his political monologue. Well, OK again.

The substance of the monologue: if he had a time machine and could go back and change one historical event, it would be to prevent women getting the right to vote. Really: that’s when he believes all of our country’s problems began.

“The 50s were great,” he said. “Everything was going just fine until women got the vote.”

“You realize that by the 50s women had been voting for over 30 years,” I said.

He just kind of stopped for a second, considered the thought, ignored it and moved on. And to be fair to him, he did expand the point: it wasn’t just women voting that was the problem. It was all racial minorities, homosexuals and “children.”  I thought I’d comfort him by telling him that children still don’t have the right to vote, but I couldn’t really get a word in.

From there we moved on to evolution (“So you believe we came from monkeys? That it went ooze-fish-monkeys-man? Really?”) and then on to religion (“I’m not one of those crazy people, but religion has done more to disprove science than science has to prove evolution”).  He noted at one point that he got a concussion in that hit-and-run last week. I nodded.

Eventually our friend — who would not let me take his picture sadly, because I believe that by that time he realized (a) I was a writer; and (b) I was taking mental notes — mentioned that three women were coming to meet him there and implied that, if we played our cards right, maybe  Connor and I could get lucky.

I figured that was his tallest tale of the evening but I’ll be damned if three women didn’t eventually show up. One had a boyfriend with her. None of them seemed like people who would hang out with our friend, here. Indeed, when he went to use the restroom, one of the women said that she didn’t know the guy’s name and that they just call him “the guy who got hit by the car.”  I am still unclear on why they would all meet him out at a bar.

I was likewise unclear why I was still talking to him, but eventually he disappeared into the night.  I’m still not 100% certain that he existed. It’s possible someone spiked my Double-Double animal style or slipped a mickey into Moose Drool brown ale.  But if he did exist, just know that people like him walk the Earth. Well, sort of stagger the Earth, but still.

Freakin’ Arizona. Drink here at your peril.  Or maybe just don’t go out with Connor Doyle, because for as great a guy as he is, he seems to attract the weird ones.

Back to baseball this morning. I’m heading to the Peoria Sports Complex where I will witness the debut of Yu Darvish.  A man who, until last night, I figured would be the most interesting person I’d meet in Spring Training.

Reports from the ballpark later, my friends.

Latest Posts
  1. Lucas Duda to begin minor league rehab assignment Saturday

Sep 5, 2015, 10:05 AM EDT

on July 24, 2015 at Citi Field in the Flushing neighborhood of the Queens borough of New York City. Getty Images

Duda has been sidelined since August 21 with a thoracic herniation in his back.

2. Video: Troy Tulowitzki leaps over Matt Wieters to avoid being tagged

Sep 5, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT

tulo

Blue Jays shortstop Troy Tulowitzki thought fast to avoid being tagged in last night’s game against the Orioles.

3. Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Sep 5, 2015, 8:49 AM EDT

Washington Nationals' Michael Taylor, right, celebrates with relief pitcher Jonathan Papelbon (58), and Jayson Werth, back center, as he comes home for his game-winning three-run homer during the10th inning of a baseball game against the Atlanta Braves at Nationals Park, Friday, Sept. 4, 2015, in Washington. The Nationals won 5-2. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon) AP

A quick recap of a busy Friday around MLB, including a walk-off win for the Nationals.

4. A.J. Burnett: “I expect to be throwing soon for the Pirates, because I feel great.”

Sep 4, 2015, 11:40 PM EDT

A.J. Burnett AP

A.J. Burnett feels great and wants to pitch again for the Pirates before the end of the season.

5. Chris Davis takes major league home run lead with two homers on Friday

Sep 4, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT

Chris Davis Getty Images

Chris Davis homered twice against the Blue Jays on Friday to move past Nelson Cruz for the major league home run lead.

6. Billy Hamilton will begin a rehab assignment on Saturday

Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT

Billy Hamilton Billy Hamilton

Reds outfielder Billy Hamilton will rehab at Double-A and should rejoin the big league squad soon.

7. Wil Myers activated from the 60-day disabled list

Sep 4, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT

wil myers getty Getty Images

Wil Myers will make his long awaited return to the Padres’ lineup on Friday night after missing nearly three months with a wrist injury.

8. Astros, Dallas Keuchel table extension talks until the off-season

Sep 4, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT

Dallas Keuchel Dallas Keuchel

The Astros want to sign Dallas Keuchel to at least a four-year extension, but the two sides won’t negotiate until the season is over.

9. James Paxton out “at least three or four days” with torn fingernail

Sep 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT

James Paxton James Paxton

James Paxton will sit for a few days while his fingernail heals, then resume rehabbing with Triple-A Tacoma.

10. Corey Kluber tweaks hamstring, expected to miss 10 days

Sep 4, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT

Corey Kluber Corey Kluber

Corey Kluber will miss 10 days after tweaking his hamstring in a side session.

11. Report: Job of Tigers manager Brad Ausmus in jeopardy

Sep 4, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT

Seattle Mariners v Detroit Tigers Getty Images

Brad Ausmus could soon be out of a job as the Tigers sink in the AL Central.

12. Domonic Brown diagnosed with a concussion

Sep 4, 2015, 5:03 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2015-09-04 at 4.43.54 PM

Brown may be done for the year.

13. Justin Morneau returns from concussion, rejoins Rockies

Sep 4, 2015, 4:47 PM EDT

Justin Morneau Getty Images

Any further concussion-related problems could force the former MVP into retirement

14. Cardinals activate outfielder Jon Jay from the disabled list

Sep 4, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT

jon jay getty Getty Images

Jay missed the past two months with a wrist injury.

15. Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey

Sep 4, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT

Sandy Alderson AP

The Matt Harvey controversy is a lot like the Stephen Strasburg shutdown of 2012. But Sandy Alderson is not going to do what Mike Rizzo did, someone close to him says.

1. J. Baez (2319)