Scenes from Spring Training: The Most Interesting Man in the World

Mar 7, 2012, 7:51 AM EST

TT Roadhoue

After I left the ballpark yesterday afternoon I came back to my hotel and placed my health first among all other things. First, I moved into my new non-smoking room, which was good for my lungs. Then I went to the fitness center and ran on a treadmill for 45 minutes which was good for my heart, body and soul.

Then I went to In-n-Out Burger and ate this followed by a trip to a dive bar called TT Roadhouse where I hoisted the moist with a friend of mine. No, I don’t think it’s safe to say that I’m in the best shape of my life after all of that. Hell, I’m not even in the best shape of the bloggers on this site.

The friend of mine was a former sportswriter and former blogger named Connor Doyle who I met back in the Shysterball days.  When I was here last year, as some of you may remember, I had beers with him and DIPS legend Voros McCracken and nearly started a race riot. Last night wasn’t quite as scary, but it definitely turned strange.

We had been there a little over an hour or so when a man with a gigantic head wound came up and sat down at our table and began talking to us. He began in mid-sentence as if he had been with us all night, and took up the political conversation Connor and I were having. Well, OK then. He did pause long enough for Connor to ask him what happened to his head. Seems he was walking with a girl last week when a man ran him over with a car and then drove away. He treated the explanation as though it was bothersome and unimportant and continued on with his political monologue. Well, OK again.

The substance of the monologue: if he had a time machine and could go back and change one historical event, it would be to prevent women getting the right to vote. Really: that’s when he believes all of our country’s problems began.

“The 50s were great,” he said. “Everything was going just fine until women got the vote.”

“You realize that by the 50s women had been voting for over 30 years,” I said.

He just kind of stopped for a second, considered the thought, ignored it and moved on. And to be fair to him, he did expand the point: it wasn’t just women voting that was the problem. It was all racial minorities, homosexuals and “children.”  I thought I’d comfort him by telling him that children still don’t have the right to vote, but I couldn’t really get a word in.

From there we moved on to evolution (“So you believe we came from monkeys? That it went ooze-fish-monkeys-man? Really?”) and then on to religion (“I’m not one of those crazy people, but religion has done more to disprove science than science has to prove evolution”).  He noted at one point that he got a concussion in that hit-and-run last week. I nodded.

Eventually our friend — who would not let me take his picture sadly, because I believe that by that time he realized (a) I was a writer; and (b) I was taking mental notes — mentioned that three women were coming to meet him there and implied that, if we played our cards right, maybe  Connor and I could get lucky.

I figured that was his tallest tale of the evening but I’ll be damned if three women didn’t eventually show up. One had a boyfriend with her. None of them seemed like people who would hang out with our friend, here. Indeed, when he went to use the restroom, one of the women said that she didn’t know the guy’s name and that they just call him “the guy who got hit by the car.”  I am still unclear on why they would all meet him out at a bar.

I was likewise unclear why I was still talking to him, but eventually he disappeared into the night.  I’m still not 100% certain that he existed. It’s possible someone spiked my Double-Double animal style or slipped a mickey into Moose Drool brown ale.  But if he did exist, just know that people like him walk the Earth. Well, sort of stagger the Earth, but still.

Freakin’ Arizona. Drink here at your peril.  Or maybe just don’t go out with Connor Doyle, because for as great a guy as he is, he seems to attract the weird ones.

Back to baseball this morning. I’m heading to the Peoria Sports Complex where I will witness the debut of Yu Darvish.  A man who, until last night, I figured would be the most interesting person I’d meet in Spring Training.

Reports from the ballpark later, my friends.

Latest Posts
  1. Josh Reddick perplexed by the Josh Donaldson trade

Nov 28, 2014, 11:30 PM EST

josh reddick getty Getty Images

The Josh Donaldson trade puzzled his now ex-teammate Josh Reddick.

2. Athletics designate Kyle Blanks and Josh Lindblom for assignment

Nov 28, 2014, 10:34 PM EST

Mike Gallego, Kyle Blanks Mike Gallego, Kyle Blanks

The A’s cleared some space on their roster following the Josh Donaldson trade by designating Kyle Blanks and Josh Lindblom for assignment.

3. Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics

Nov 28, 2014, 9:57 PM EST

josh donaldson getty Getty Images

Brett Lawrie and a couple of minor leaguers are headed to the Athletics in exchange for Josh Donaldson.

4. Report: Athletics working on a trade

Nov 28, 2014, 8:44 PM EST

Josh Donaldson Josh Donaldson

The Athletics are reportedly close to getting three or four players back in a trade involving starter Jeff Samardzija.

5. Aaron Crow could get a chance to start for the Marlins

Nov 28, 2014, 8:15 PM EST

Aaron Crow Getty Images

Marlins pitcher Aaron Crow, recently acquired from the Royals, could get a shot in the starting rotation.

6. Report: Ross Detwiler’s camp has suggested the Nationals trade him, if possible

Nov 28, 2014, 7:10 PM EST

Washington Nationals starter Ross Detwiler throws a first inning pitch against the Los Angeles Dodgers during their MLB National League baseball game in Los Angeles Reuters

Ross Detwiler had a frustrating 2014 season with the Nationals. It sounds like he wants a change of scenery, if possible.

7. White Sox sign Tony Campana to a minor league deal

Nov 28, 2014, 6:05 PM EST

Tony Campana Getty Images

The White Sox signed speedster Tony Campana to a minor league deal.

8. Jamie Moyer leaves the Phillies’ broadcasting team

Nov 28, 2014, 4:42 PM EST

Jamie Moyer

It’s one and done in the booth for the old lefty.

9. Marlins acquire Aaron Crow from Royals

Nov 28, 2014, 12:23 PM EST

Aaron Crow AP

Crow made the All-Star team as a rookie in 2011.

10. Shane Victorino says he should be the Red Sox’ starting right fielder

Nov 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EST

Shane Victorino Getty Getty Images

And he’d like you to tell him who’s a better option.

11. Pedro Strop was involved in an accident in the Dominican Republic

Nov 28, 2014, 11:00 AM EST

Chicago Cubs v Cincinnati Reds Getty Images

He’s reportedly uninjured, though details are scarce at the moment.

12. Royals re-sign Jason Frasor for $1.8 million

Nov 28, 2014, 10:47 AM EST

Houston Astros v Texas Rangers Getty Images

Barring some trades he’ll fill a middle relief role for the bullpen-rich Royals in 2015.

13. Not so fast on the Cardinals’ reported interest in Jon Lester

Nov 28, 2014, 10:15 AM EST

Jon Lester AP

“Their interest in the lefty appears as much opportunistic as enthusiastic.”

14. A.J. Hinch likes horrible and awful things for Thanksgiving dinner

Nov 28, 2014, 8:15 AM EST

Jell-O salad

Won’t somebody think of A.J. Hinch’s children?

15. Justin Masterson is all over the AL Central radar

Nov 27, 2014, 9:20 PM EST

masterson getty Getty Images

The AL Central seems to be particularly fond of free agent pitcher Justin Masterson.

16. Padres drawing a lot of interest in their catchers

Nov 27, 2014, 8:15 PM EST

Rene Rivera Rene Rivera

The Padres have three worthy catchers and all of them are drawing trade interest.

17. Billy Butler takes out a full-page newspaper ad to thank Royals fans

Nov 27, 2014, 7:10 PM EST

New York Yankees v Kansas City Royals Getty Images

Billy Butler, now with the Athletics, thanked Royals fans for an “amazing ride” in Kansas City.

18. Brandon Moss, Allen Craig on Marlins’ first base radar

Nov 27, 2014, 6:05 PM EST

Brandon Moss AP

A couple more options have appeared on the Marlins’ radar for an upgrade at first base.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. H. Ramirez (4408)