Timetable for Brian Roberts’ return from concussion unclear

Mar 7, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT

Brian Roberts, Buck Showalter Getty Images

Brian Roberts hasn’t played since May 16 of last season, but there’s still no timetable for his return from multiple concussions.

Roberts has progressed to taking batting practice and fielding ground balls, and Eduardo Encina of the Baltimore Sun reports that the second baseman now has more good days than bad days, but that means he’s still experiencing symptoms at least occasionally.

“I don’t know what the next step is,” Roberts admitted to Encina. “When we get to point where I guess I feel like I’m to the point where the next step is we’ll figure out what the next step is.”

Robert Andino is expected to serve as the Orioles’ starting second baseman if Roberts isn’t ready for Opening Day, but that’s a huge dropoff even if Andino is able to duplicate what was for him a career-year in 2011.

Roberts played just 59 and 39 games during the past two seasons, but prior to that averaged 152 games per season from 2004-2009 while hitting .290 with a .365 on-base percentage and .803 OPS. During that six-year span he ranked seventh among all second basemen in OPS and also stole 212 bases.

1. dowhatifeellike - Mar 7, 2012 at 11:58 AM

What?

• foreverchipper10 - Mar 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Well, he is dealing with a concussion.

• cmutimmah - Mar 7, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I think they ask him this question until he gives a coherent answer, then they will take the next step… whatever that step is….

• cereal blogger - Mar 7, 2012 at 7:54 PM

The guy looks so different than he did two years ago

2. dowhatifeellike - Mar 7, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I get it now. It’s like a game show where they don’t tell you what the next challenge is until you’ve completed the current challenge. I never knew rehab could be so much fun!

3. randomdigits - Mar 7, 2012 at 3:44 PM

It is a huge dropoff from what Roberts used to be but I imagine it is superior to what even a recovered Roberts could do now.

Andino gains you more with the glove then Roberts would give you with the bat.

4. jdmcmill - Mar 7, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I am a huge O’s fan. this guy couldn’t fly to bmore a month ago. To think he will contribute ever again is far fetched. he is due a lot of money on his contract, so him “trying” to come back is understandable, but give up the hope of him ever being productive again.

Orioles turn AL East on its head