Mar 7, 2012, 11:17 PM EDT
Player A here is back with the same team he was with a year ago. In fact, it’s the same team he’s been with his entire career. He’s not playing for a new manager. He’s not learning a new position. He’s healthier than he was a year ago at this time, but given that he finished last season healthy, that’s hardly news.
Worse, Player A has played exactly two positions in the majors the last two years. Over the winter, his team acquired new starters at both of those positions.
The article even concludes with the fact that Blanks will likely open the season in Triple-A as a result of the team’s additions of Yonder Alonso at first base and Carlos Quentin for left field. Blanks also has some experience in right, but given that the Padres are already planning on carrying Jesus Guzman, Mark Kotsay and Chris Denorfia as backup outfield options, there’s no room for him on the bench.
If this constitutes a fresh start, I’d pass. What Blanks needs, considering that his long-term future is almost certainly at first base or DH, is an actual new start away from San Diego. The 25-year-old has power to spare and still might prove to be a long-term regular, but it’s not likely to happen with the Padres.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (250)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)