Mar 7, 2012, 11:17 PM EDT
Player A here is back with the same team he was with a year ago. In fact, it’s the same team he’s been with his entire career. He’s not playing for a new manager. He’s not learning a new position. He’s healthier than he was a year ago at this time, but given that he finished last season healthy, that’s hardly news.
Worse, Player A has played exactly two positions in the majors the last two years. Over the winter, his team acquired new starters at both of those positions.
The article even concludes with the fact that Blanks will likely open the season in Triple-A as a result of the team’s additions of Yonder Alonso at first base and Carlos Quentin for left field. Blanks also has some experience in right, but given that the Padres are already planning on carrying Jesus Guzman, Mark Kotsay and Chris Denorfia as backup outfield options, there’s no room for him on the bench.
If this constitutes a fresh start, I’d pass. What Blanks needs, considering that his long-term future is almost certainly at first base or DH, is an actual new start away from San Diego. The 25-year-old has power to spare and still might prove to be a long-term regular, but it’s not likely to happen with the Padres.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)