Mar 7, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
Steve Swindal, originally the designated successor to George Steinbrenner, was at Yankees camp Wednesday, watching his daughter sing the national anthem and talking about his current enterprise; he runs a camp for prospects in the Dominican Republic.
Swindal, former husband to Jennifer Steinbrenner, was supposed to to occupy the role currently held by Hal Steinbrenner. However, he was arrested for DUI in 2007 and divorced by his wife a month later. The Yankees then bought out his ownership stake, and George chose Hal as his successor.
Swindal now runs a camp with Abel Guerra, the Yankees’ former VP of international operations. In return for a portion of any future signing bonus, he houses, feeds, schools and trains prospects in the Dominican Republic. Rafael Perez, MLB’s director of Dominican operations, calls it “the nicest academy of any agent.”
The business probably doesn’t have such a promising future after MLB cracked down in foreign spending budgets in the CBA agreed to over the winter, but Swindal plans to keep at it.
“Hopefully we’ll have a couple guys go for a million dollars this year. We’re certainly projecting that. With the new CBA, I don’t know how it’s going to affect it,” Swindal said. “I know the talent is always going to be there, and somehow the clubs are going to find a way to get the talent. The country is just so full of baseball heritage and it just starts from birth with young people. it’s getting stronger.”
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)