Mar 7, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Yoenis Cespedes Mania — if that’s going to be a thing — is about to hit Phoenix Municipal Stadium, where the A’s play their spring training games.
According to John Shea of the San Francisco Chronicle, Cespedes is expected to be ready to make his Cactus League debut “by this weekend.”
The 26-year-old Cuban defector has been working out and participating in drills since arriving in Arizona last Friday. He’s scheduled to get six plate appearances in a simulated game this afternoon and should be sufficiently tuned up by Saturday or Sunday.
Cespedes signed a four-year, $36 million contract with Oakland in mid-February.
He batted .333/.424/.667 with a league-record 33 home runs and 99 RBI in 90 games last year in Cuba’s Serie Nacional, and could crack the A’s Opening Day roster with a strong showing this spring.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (81)
- Penguins bounce Senators
- Pacers take down Heat in Game 2 to even series
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PHT: NHL to present Coyotes ownership plans
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million