Astros GM Jeff Luhnow apologizes to Rangers for “drunken sailors” comment

Mar 8, 2012, 2:48 PM EST

I-am-sorry

While speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference last week Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow commented that the Rangers have spent money on the international market like “drunken sailors” recently.

Today the GM told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com that he personally apologized to the Rangers their general manager Jon Daniels:

I reached out to Jon and to Nolan [Ryan] because it was taken out of context. I don’t know what they heard, but I did reach out to them and explained that it was not a dig against that organization because they’ve done a great job there.

Perhaps “drunken sailors” wasn’t the best choice of words, but Luhnow’s point was a valid one and certainly didn’t have to be taken as an insult. Beyond that, it’s unfortunate that stuff like this teaches high-profile figures that being more open and engaging when speaking in public forums isn’t worth the hassle.

1. kicksave1980 - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:27 PM

It’s ridiculous that he even had to apologize for that. I swear, some people wait around 24/7 just waiting to be offended by something. As much as I enjoy 24 hour sports info, it’s sucked the personality out of these guys. I’d rather someone say what’s on their mind than hear the constant stream of cliches that we are treated to now.

• visnovsky - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:54 PM

+1 agreed

2. tuftsb - Mar 8, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Perhaps Houston has some knowledge about Naval graduates and alcohol through past ownership that they’d like to share?

Former owner John McMullen is a Naval Academy graduate and under his ownership the Astros signed Nolan Ryan to Baseball’s first $1 million free agent contract.

3. sportsdrenched.com - Mar 8, 2012 at 5:34 PM

My Uncle was a drunken sailor and I think HE should get an apology also.

4. brewcrewfan54 - Mar 8, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I spend money like a drunken sailor every payday also. Not sure why everyone was so offended.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester