Mar 8, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
While speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference last week Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow commented that the Rangers have spent money on the international market like “drunken sailors” recently.
Today the GM told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com that he personally apologized to the Rangers their general manager Jon Daniels:
I reached out to Jon and to Nolan [Ryan] because it was taken out of context. I don’t know what they heard, but I did reach out to them and explained that it was not a dig against that organization because they’ve done a great job there.
Perhaps “drunken sailors” wasn’t the best choice of words, but Luhnow’s point was a valid one and certainly didn’t have to be taken as an insult. Beyond that, it’s unfortunate that stuff like this teaches high-profile figures that being more open and engaging when speaking in public forums isn’t worth the hassle.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 14
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 62
- The Lester trade is a win-win 105
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 160
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (160)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)