Mar 8, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
While speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference last week Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow commented that the Rangers have spent money on the international market like “drunken sailors” recently.
Today the GM told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com that he personally apologized to the Rangers their general manager Jon Daniels:
I reached out to Jon and to Nolan [Ryan] because it was taken out of context. I don’t know what they heard, but I did reach out to them and explained that it was not a dig against that organization because they’ve done a great job there.
Perhaps “drunken sailors” wasn’t the best choice of words, but Luhnow’s point was a valid one and certainly didn’t have to be taken as an insult. Beyond that, it’s unfortunate that stuff like this teaches high-profile figures that being more open and engaging when speaking in public forums isn’t worth the hassle.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (76)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)