Mar 8, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT
While speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference last week Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow commented that the Rangers have spent money on the international market like “drunken sailors” recently.
Today the GM told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com that he personally apologized to the Rangers their general manager Jon Daniels:
I reached out to Jon and to Nolan [Ryan] because it was taken out of context. I don’t know what they heard, but I did reach out to them and explained that it was not a dig against that organization because they’ve done a great job there.
Perhaps “drunken sailors” wasn’t the best choice of words, but Luhnow’s point was a valid one and certainly didn’t have to be taken as an insult. Beyond that, it’s unfortunate that stuff like this teaches high-profile figures that being more open and engaging when speaking in public forums isn’t worth the hassle.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 69
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 112
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)