Mar 8, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
David Price had to leave today’s start after two innings because he injured his neck while toweling off his head in the dugout. Seriously.
And that’s not even the most bizarre part of the story, because as Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune writes Price has done this before. Several times, in fact:
It was the third time Price suffered the injury since last spring training.
“I was drying my head off after the second inning. It’s happened to me two times before. I catch the back of my head and it pulls my head forward,” Price said. “I felt it in the back of my neck.”
Price was supposed to pitch three innings but left after two with what was termed “minor neck spasms.”
According to Price the injury usually only lasts 2-3 days, so he’s hoping not to miss a start. And maybe the Rays should hire him some sort of personal assistant in charge of toweling at this point?
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)