Mar 8, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
David Price had to leave today’s start after two innings because he injured his neck while toweling off his head in the dugout. Seriously.
And that’s not even the most bizarre part of the story, because as Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune writes Price has done this before. Several times, in fact:
It was the third time Price suffered the injury since last spring training.
“I was drying my head off after the second inning. It’s happened to me two times before. I catch the back of my head and it pulls my head forward,” Price said. “I felt it in the back of my neck.”
Price was supposed to pitch three innings but left after two with what was termed “minor neck spasms.”
According to Price the injury usually only lasts 2-3 days, so he’s hoping not to miss a start. And maybe the Rays should hire him some sort of personal assistant in charge of toweling at this point?
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 1
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)