Mar 8, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
David Price had to leave today’s start after two innings because he injured his neck while toweling off his head in the dugout. Seriously.
And that’s not even the most bizarre part of the story, because as Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune writes Price has done this before. Several times, in fact:
It was the third time Price suffered the injury since last spring training.
“I was drying my head off after the second inning. It’s happened to me two times before. I catch the back of my head and it pulls my head forward,” Price said. “I felt it in the back of my neck.”
Price was supposed to pitch three innings but left after two with what was termed “minor neck spasms.”
According to Price the injury usually only lasts 2-3 days, so he’s hoping not to miss a start. And maybe the Rays should hire him some sort of personal assistant in charge of toweling at this point?
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 0
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 40
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 49
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 29
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (93)