Mar 8, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
David Price had to leave today’s start after two innings because he injured his neck while toweling off his head in the dugout. Seriously.
And that’s not even the most bizarre part of the story, because as Roger Mooney of the Tampa Tribune writes Price has done this before. Several times, in fact:
It was the third time Price suffered the injury since last spring training.
“I was drying my head off after the second inning. It’s happened to me two times before. I catch the back of my head and it pulls my head forward,” Price said. “I felt it in the back of my neck.”
Price was supposed to pitch three innings but left after two with what was termed “minor neck spasms.”
According to Price the injury usually only lasts 2-3 days, so he’s hoping not to miss a start. And maybe the Rays should hire him some sort of personal assistant in charge of toweling at this point?
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 0
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 24
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 67
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 74
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)