Mar 8, 2012, 1:20 PM EST
Domonic Brown injured his right thumb diving for a ball in the outfield earlier this week and now he’s headed for an MRI exam.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the initial diagnosis is a sprained thumb, but the Phillies will have a better idea about his recovery timetable once the MRI results are in.
Brown seemed likely to begin this season at Triple-A anyway, as the Phillies have continued to resist the urge to simply give one of the better outfield prospects in baseball the opportunity to play every day in the majors at age 24. He’s hit .298 with an .843 OPS in 68 games at Triple-A so far.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (130)