Mar 8, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
This, from Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York, is not something you’d think that someone who has spent many years covering spring training would say, but he says it anyway:
Now that we’ve been through the starting rotation once, it is time to turn our attention to more pressing matters. As in Derek Jeter.
On Wednesday, Jeter went hitless in two at-bats to drop his spring training average to .125. He has one hit in eight at-bats so far and has hit the ball on the ground in seven of those eight ABs (the other was a strikeout). He couldn’t make his patented jump throw on a play that might have saved Hiroki Kuroda a run, and later he booted a routine grounder.
The Yankees have played five game. Jeter has not played in all of them and even when he has played, he’s played only briefly. As Matthews says, it’s been eight (8)(VIII) at bats. Which is two real games’ worth. Sometimes not even two games’ worth.
Yes, someday Derek Jeter is not going to be able to play at a major league level any longer. But (a) we won’t know about it in an eight at-bat sample size; and (b) no one will get extra credit for noting it early like this.
Spring training people. Stats, especially for veterans who aren’t fighting for jobs, matter not.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 42
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 22
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 45
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 33
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (153)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)