Mar 8, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
This, from Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York, is not something you’d think that someone who has spent many years covering spring training would say, but he says it anyway:
Now that we’ve been through the starting rotation once, it is time to turn our attention to more pressing matters. As in Derek Jeter.
On Wednesday, Jeter went hitless in two at-bats to drop his spring training average to .125. He has one hit in eight at-bats so far and has hit the ball on the ground in seven of those eight ABs (the other was a strikeout). He couldn’t make his patented jump throw on a play that might have saved Hiroki Kuroda a run, and later he booted a routine grounder.
The Yankees have played five game. Jeter has not played in all of them and even when he has played, he’s played only briefly. As Matthews says, it’s been eight (8)(VIII) at bats. Which is two real games’ worth. Sometimes not even two games’ worth.
Yes, someday Derek Jeter is not going to be able to play at a major league level any longer. But (a) we won’t know about it in an eight at-bat sample size; and (b) no one will get extra credit for noting it early like this.
Spring training people. Stats, especially for veterans who aren’t fighting for jobs, matter not.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 52
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 20
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 51
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)