Mar 8, 2012, 9:17 AM EDT
This, from Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York, is not something you’d think that someone who has spent many years covering spring training would say, but he says it anyway:
Now that we’ve been through the starting rotation once, it is time to turn our attention to more pressing matters. As in Derek Jeter.
On Wednesday, Jeter went hitless in two at-bats to drop his spring training average to .125. He has one hit in eight at-bats so far and has hit the ball on the ground in seven of those eight ABs (the other was a strikeout). He couldn’t make his patented jump throw on a play that might have saved Hiroki Kuroda a run, and later he booted a routine grounder.
The Yankees have played five game. Jeter has not played in all of them and even when he has played, he’s played only briefly. As Matthews says, it’s been eight (8)(VIII) at bats. Which is two real games’ worth. Sometimes not even two games’ worth.
Yes, someday Derek Jeter is not going to be able to play at a major league level any longer. But (a) we won’t know about it in an eight at-bat sample size; and (b) no one will get extra credit for noting it early like this.
Spring training people. Stats, especially for veterans who aren’t fighting for jobs, matter not.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 25
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 17
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (82)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)