Jonathan Papelbon: Phillies fans “tend to know the game a little better” than Red Sox fans

Mar 8, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies' Papelbon throws in the bullpen during workouts at the team's spring training complex in Clearwater Reuters

Not only is Jonathan Papelbon ditching “Shipping Up To Boston” as his entrance music, now he’s talking about how Phillies fans are better than Red Sox fans.

During an interview on 94-WIP in Philadelphia today Papelbon said:

The difference between Boston and Philadelphia, the Boston fans are a little bit more hysterical when it comes to the game of baseball. The Philly fans tend to know the game a little better, being in the National League, you know, the way the game is played.

I’m not sure how Papelbon came to have such a clear opinion of Phillies fans already considering he signed with the team in November and has yet to actually play a game in Philadelphia, but maybe that’s just nit-picking and Papelbon did indicate that he liked the “hysterical” nature of Boston because “it got my motor running every day.”

You know, because Philadelphia sports fans have long been known for their calm demeanor and reasoned opinions about star athletes.

105 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. cur68 - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM

First that miscreant Luke Scott, now Jonathon Papelbon is dissing on the Sox fans? Ordinarily I couldn’t care less, but my HBT girlfriend, the lovely and urbane 24missed, is a Sox superfan. If all this BoSox fan dissing doesn’t stop it’ll pig spears at 20 paces. You’ve been warned, MLB players.

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Those pig spears looked like they’d still be touching the other person at 20 paces, so you might want to back it up a little bit.

• 24missed - Mar 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

My Knight in Shining Armor.

Friggin’ Papelbon, what’s the deal? He hit the jackpot just like he always wanted. He always said it was all about the money and that’s what he was handed.

Hysterical fans? Maybe he thinks we have a great sense of humor.

We don’t understand baseball. Lots of us are open to learning more about ball. I learn tons from HBT, specifically, Cur.

Whatever Papelbon. Thanks for the saves. Now, shush.

• wendell7 - Mar 8, 2012 at 8:34 PM

so, if I may ask .. is the 24 in your moniker for Manny or Dewey?

• 24missed - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Complex answer to a simple question.

I used to have a different handle for use on a different WordPress blog, prior to finding HBT. theLorax or one of my other peace/love hippy-happy ones.

I changed this name for personal reasons that collided at the same point in my life. Life lessons gained and my life forever altered. My spirit within hasn’t changed, only blossomed and that spirit reminds me to remain true to myself along this journey.

I don’t know if this makes sense, but, yes, I do love Manny. I can find beauty within most everything and everyone, if I try really, really, really hard. Sometimes, it is really hard. But, other people must struggle and give up on finding beauty within me.

• wendell7 - Mar 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM

OK, well that is a much deeper meaning than I would have expected, but it gets a thumbs-up from me just the same. Cheers to you and your peace/love hippy-happiness.

I thought maybe you fondly recalled the days when Dwight Evans patrolled right field for the Crimson Hose. That is the 24 that I miss.

• 24missed - Mar 10, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Gosh,
        I wish I could completely delete the last post. I don’t like exposing myself, well, in that way.
        I’m no saint and that certainly wasn’t conveyed in my thesis I prepared for you. In fact, the opposite it true. More tainted than sainted. Ask Cur.
        Mr. Evans, Mr. Gold Glove himself, was closely followed. Such a shame he didn’t play his totallity of his career as a RS.
        But, I’m a Manny lover.

• wendell7 - Mar 9, 2012 at 10:53 AM

bonus points for use of the word “miscreant”

2. mdpickles - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Hmm…not sure why this is news? I thought this information was common knowledge?

3. ll8078 - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:21 PM

there’s a lot more to baseball when you don’t have the DH. that’s what he meant, and that is fact.

• sandpiperair - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:29 PM

There is no way that that’s what he meant.

• mercyflush - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM

LOL agreed. He was ripping the old team’s fans and trying to get in good with the new team’s fans. Not necessarily a bad thing I guess.

But in all honesty Paps, I dont care what you think of Philly vs. Boston fans. Just save the games and it’ll be cool and the gang.

• wendell7 - Mar 8, 2012 at 8:37 PM

And he would know so much about the National League style of play, … you know, having played his entire career in the American League.

4. uyf1950 - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Papelbon sure knows how to win friends and influence people in Beantown. Way to go Paps.

• phukyouk - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM

I dont know that i despise a player more than this douche. It’s mainly cause of his comments during the 2008 All star game.

• uyf1950 - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Are you referring to the comment that he deserved to close out the game instead of Mo?
        Let’s just say he’s always been a jerk so why would he change now. It will be fun to see when the the Sox and Phillies meet in interleague play this summer.

• phukyouk - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:11 PM

thats the one

• pisano - Mar 8, 2012 at 7:34 PM

uyf1950… I agree, this guy is as dumb as a bag of hammers. I guess he never heard of burning your bridges. I can’t wait until he goes back to Boston it ought to be a lot of fun for him. He is the Capt. of the “ship of fools”

5. sasquash20 - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:24 PM

BOSTON SUCKS!! He knows they suck that is why he came to a real sports city. Hey Boston losers how did your Celtics do last night? Go Sixers! Go Philly!!!!

• sandpiperair - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Good point.

• phukyouk - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Bozo?

• 24missed - Mar 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Good call.

• wendell7 - Mar 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM

ha, I had the same thought ..

• El Bravo - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Sounds like none of you have been paying attention huh? Celts and Sixers are weak sauce, my friends. This is D. Rose’s (aka the Windy City Assassin’s) house mothaf@ckas!

• sasquash20 - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM

1-1 against your squad bud. How does one become a Braves fan and a Bulls fan? Aside from being a total fraud I mean.

• kraken887 - Mar 8, 2012 at 8:29 PM

You suck!

• led2113 - Mar 9, 2012 at 10:47 AM

“Boston sucks”? “Boston Losers” – Ok Sasquatch…if that is the case – what is Philly?
      Let’s have a look over the last 10 yrs:
      Baseball – Sox – 2 WS Championships (Only team in MLB to win multiple titles in the new millennium) – Phillies – 1 title. Advantage: Boston
      Football – Pats – 3 SB Championships and 5 SB appearances. Eagles – ZERO SB Championships (In their history) and 1 SB appearance….LOST TO THE PATS. HUGE ADVANTAGE: Boston
      Basketball – Celtics – 1 NBA Championship and 2 Finals appearances – Sixers – 1 Finals appearance (11 yrs ago !!) got smoked 4-1. Advantage – Boston
      Hockey – Bruins – 1 Stanley Cup Championship – Flyers – ZERO Stanley Cup Championships – 1 appearance. Advantage – Boston
      That is 7 major sports championships for Boston to 1 for Philly.
      Tell me again the “logic” coming from a Philly fan with what I have described how you can call Boston “Losers”??? Because the Sixers won a meaningless game against an old, hurt Celtics team that is going nowhere? Wow – grasping at straws here.
      Thank you for Francona and Schilling who had to come to Trophy Town to win a title !
      I’m expecting your blood pressure to rise while responding. Sports is entertainment here in Trophy Town….we’re used to winning. Sports is personal in Philly and…..You guys aren’t used to winning much. Tell me again how a Philly fan can call Boston “Losers”?

• 1historian - Mar 11, 2012 at 9:07 AM

sasquash20 – (with thanks to Ann Landers) – you have a point, but if you keep your hat on maybe on one will notice.

Get it?

I didn’t think so

6. philsbirdsflyers - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM

EST rules. Eat up, west coast.

• kopy - Mar 8, 2012 at 8:06 PM

But what about EDT, when baseball is played?

• jimeejohnson - Mar 8, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Keep thinking that, and stay east of I-5. Thanks.

7. Ace - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Oh no, let’s not go starting a feud here. As a Red Sox fan about to enter into matrimony with a fervent Phillies fan, I’m really hoping the relationship between these two fan-bases can remain peaceable. What with the mutual New York rivalries, it should be a natural alliance, no?

• sasquash20 - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:53 PM

No way Boston sucks. I feel that NY isn’t even close to the sports city Philly or Boston is. All leagues should have Philly and Boston in the same division/conference. Philly and Boston are true die hard sports cities that should play more against each other then they do now.

• jimeejohnson - Mar 8, 2012 at 8:33 PM

You must be numb, not that I’m a fan of New Yawk, but considering its sports history, from the twenty something time world champion Yankees to the amazing (lucky) Mets, the Rangers, and of course, the NY Giants, a team that has broken Bahsitn’s heart more than once, NY is one hell of a sports town. I agree with you that “no way Bahstin sucks”. But NY is the pinnacle of the sports world; ask Michael Jordan, who rost to the occasion of playing in NY many times, as did so many great players. Philadelphia is a HUGE sports city. Who else managed to beat the Soviet Army Hockey Team but the Broad St. Bullies. In sum: all three cities have something to be proud of, except for the Mets, Eagles, and hopefully not the Phillies again. Just kidding. The Phillies have been consistently good.

• sasquash20 - Mar 8, 2012 at 9:51 PM

My point being is that New York sports fans don’t have the passion that Philly or Boston fans have. NYC fans think the world begins and ends with them. I think Philly, Boston, and Chicago all have more passionate fans then NYC fans. I don’t if NYC folks are too busy with everything that is going on up there to be as focused as the other east coast power sports cities but they aren’t as passionate in my opinion. I rank them 4th in all of sports in this country. That is still pretty high just not as high as the 3 cities I’ve mentioned.

• Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:55 PM

When was the last time you left your parents’ basement? 1974? We (New York) are indeed the pinnacle of all sports like jimeejohnson said.

8. psousa1 - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Good luck with those 300 ft. power alleys (or whatever they are). A fly ball pitcher pitching in a bandbox.

9. steelersredsoxnation - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM

phillies fans didn’t even exist until they got to the world series a few years ago…funny how they talk noise about being a “real sports city”…way to ride that band wagon phillies “fans”.

• dagnats - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM

true, you can say that about most teams tho with few exceptions, cardinals, cubs, and red sox…there are people at those stadiums ALL the time…even when the team is dreadful

• steelersredsoxnation - Mar 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM

agreed…red sox have been selling out every gay since 2003…a year BEFORE winning their first world series in 86 years. got to have respect for cubs fans. its a shame the world was robbed of a cubs red sox world series becase of bartman lol

• philsbirdsflyers - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Do you prefer irony or hypocrisy as a definition for a Pittsburgh and Boston fan calling out other “band wagon” fans. Go ‘head and throw in the Lakers for good measure.

• phillychris - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Along with the Lakers, he probably like the Wed Wings as well…

• phillychris - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:44 PM

RED WINGS***

Damn working and trying to comment….

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I actually laughed out loud at Wed Wings.

• professor59 - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM

With Barbara Walters as PA announcer!

• wendell7 - Mar 8, 2012 at 8:44 PM

and Elmer Fudd on play-by-play

• sasquash20 - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Die hard Phillies fan since I was old enough to know what baseball is. It was about protesting owners who were cheap back then. Had they not won the 08 world series they would still be cheap. Oh and we are ten times the sports city that Pittsucks is. You don’t even have basketball team, or really a baseball team either.

• jimeejohnson - Mar 8, 2012 at 8:38 PM

Roberto Clemente. Mario Lemieux. Mean Joe Green. Say no more.

• sasquash20 - Mar 8, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Keep living in the past bro.

10. bertilfox - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM

As a Red Sox fan, I would agree that there is more to the National League game in terms of strategy. That is all he POSSIBLY could be referring to. He hasn’t thrown a single inning as a member of the Senior Circuit.

All in all, I would agree on each of the two points, although most of the Sox related pessimistic hysteria has all but gone away, after ’04 and ’07.

11. Glenn - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Let’s see what Papelbon says about the Philly fans after a few blown saves.

12. patpatriot7 - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Pap, the Boston fans put up with your quirks and dull-whited comments because you produced. You were one of the few guys who stood up after last year’s colossal collapse last year, but what are you basing your comments on? Just wait until you blow a save in Philadelphia. Then, you’ll wish you were back at Fenway! Why didn’t you ask your former manager Tito Francona or teammate J.D. Drew about the Phillies fans.
    As for sasquash20, Did the 76ers win the NBA championship last night? I missed it. Would you like to compare the recent head-to-head results between Boston and Philadelphia in ALL professional sports? Or perhaps you would like to compare their success with that of the Celtics? I wouldn’t go there. Or perhaps you would like to discuss the accomplishments of the 2011 “Dream Team?” It sounds like you and Papelbon will make a great team – dumb and dumber.

• dagnats - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM

also, hes been in philly for like 4 months….and hes never pitched in a real game for them…what he says and what he knows are two different things…

• wendell7 - Mar 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Papelbon or sasquash?

• timasahh - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:35 AM

Correction, he was at his house for four months, and has been in Florida for like two weeks. This is just a man trying to make nice with his new club. Something he could do much more easily by keeping quiet and saving games. See: Brad Lidge circa 2008. Well, not really circa 2008, more like exactly 2008, and nothing after.

I must admit I’m excited for more stability at the back end of the pen, but I’m wary on his attitude thus far. Even for Philly he seems like kind of a douche. Keep your antics and alter egos to yourself. We just want winners.

• sasquash20 - Mar 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM

stop living in the past. We beat the crap out of the Old Celtics last night. You have 4 supposed superstars we have none. You team sucks and they are way to old. Rondo would get up court and have to wait 20 seconds for the old 3 to make there way up. Boston SUCKS!!!!!

• spellingcops - Mar 8, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Not a fan of either (they’re both $hit holes with moronic obnoxious fans), but you need to stand down here sasquash20. The only relevant argument in sports is big game wins/losses and championships. Philly has very few championships, and only 1 recently in the 3 major sports. Pretty sure the celtics have won a championship more recently than the 76ers have won a relevant playoff game. You’re the quintessential Philly fan, and the reason why every sports fan in America hates you.

• jimeejohnson - Mar 8, 2012 at 8:40 PM

spelling cops?

• sasquash20 - Mar 8, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Keep hating it fuels the fire!

13. El Bravo - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Oh my God, no one has said that both cities’ fans suck balls yet? Well, allow me, Boston fans and Phily fans are like two peas in a dimwitted pod filled with ignorance, false pride, uncalled for agression and extremely high levels of douche. Did I mentioned all of those fans love cake too? I mean WTF?

PS. my apologies to all those I’ve offended (J5 like pie, so there’s one semi-coherent Philly fan).

14. patpatriot7 - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:58 PM

El Bravo. Let’s be bravo and tell us what team YOU are a fan of? It’s very easy to be critical when you choose to hid behind a nebulous ID and not stand up and be counted.

By the way, my apologies to sasquash 20 who is glorying in last night’s meeting between the 76ers and the Celtics. I left out the Bruins. How did they do last year in the PLAYOFFS, when winning counts? Let me guess. You’re not a Flyers fan. So, you missed the sweep and maybe don’t even know who won the Stanley Cup. Eight championships, at least one in each major sport, since 2000. Whose a loser????

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM

er Dude…his screen handle’s “El Bravo”…how much clearer could he be about his allegiances? I can’t think of another guy who comments on this site who is more “stand up and be counted” than “The Brave” there. In fact, all last season he went round with the handle “Mr Jason El Bravo Heyward”. Whaddya want him to do,use English?

• Utley's Hair - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Oh crap…now launches a discussion about national language…

Thanks, you Canuck, you…

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM

My entire national identity is tied up in having fights about language. Its what I do when not subduing seals for blubber…and wrestling beavers.

• El Bravo - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Ah, there it is. I wanted to instigate and I’ve succeeded. El Bravo, The Brave…um, pretty clear isn’t it? Grew up a Braves fan, but have moved to Chicago nearly a decade ago. Thus, I’m a feverish Chicago fan all around…but the Braves trump all Chicago ballclubs. Now, take shots at the ATL fans all you want, but before you do, let me go first. ATL fans are terrible baseball fans. They took 14 division titles for granted and couldn’t fill a park in the playoffs each of those years. It is sad really. The tomahawk chop is terrible and unoriginal to boot. That said, it annoys the hell out of opposing fans (esp. Philly) so I’ve come to adore it. Finally, if you would like to take shots at Chicago sports fans, go ahead, but be warned, we are vastly superior to all other sports towns…

• sasquash20 - Mar 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM

LOSER!!!!!!

• El Bravo - Mar 9, 2012 at 11:15 AM

INSTIGATORS!!!!! MOUNT UP! Happy Friday everyone and Go Bulls/Go Braves

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Whose a loser????

The English language, that’s who.

• sasquash20 - Mar 8, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Flyers are 4th for me. But I do remember the Bruins kicking our butts last year. I also remember when they choked as bad as any team in the history of sports the year before and blew a 3-0 series lead against my Flyers. I really kid you Boston losers. My hate is out of total jealousy.

15. hammyofdoom - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Athletes really need to stop sucking up to the fans of the team that they move to, it really is pretty stupid. I remember when Mark teixeira was a free agent that depending on which team was wooing him the best thats the team he grew up rooting for: at different points he was a die-hard Orioles fan with Cal Ripken being his idol, at other times he was teased relentlessly as a kid because he liked the yankees while living in Maryland. All this does is help make Red Sox fans get over him as their closer easier and make them pissed that he goes with the breeze like that. He knows nothing about Philly fans as he hasn’t even played there yet, so this is stupid on several levels

16. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I mean, I spend a lot of time on the internet, so I know that there are much more blatant examples BUT – that is some epic trolling right there.

17. jucam1 - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Papelbon is just being dumb, and trying to get in with the 5 % of my fellow Phils fans who will fall for it, just hoping he’s worth that contract…. I love Bean town as a city and respect their real fans (a lot of fraud fans too, but that comes with success)…. We are similar cities with great histories and especially sports cultures who both hate NYC teams…. BTW “SteelerSox..dbag” douche, you’re a joke, you probably root for the red wings and Lakers, no one wants to hear from a bandwagon idiot like you who probably lives nowhere near true cities like Philly and Boston…. So stfu…. Dbag

18. thinman61 - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Papelbon making dumb statements?

In other news, water is still wet and grass is still green.

19. vipod4ever - Mar 8, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Santa Claus might have different opinion on that Jon.

20. nesuperfan - Mar 8, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Why do guys leave and think it is OK to be a dick?

21. patpatriot7 - Mar 8, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Thanks for the correction “church.” Boston fans are passionate about our teams, especially when we feel they are under attack. I guess I got a little emotional and, thus, was grammatically incorrect – although I don’t think it caused anyone to miss my point.
    “El Bravo” Sorry, I’m new to the site. I didn’t get the El Bravo, although I know they were later referred to as the Bravos. On the one hand, I appreciate your identifying yourself as a “Chicago fan all around;” on the other, I understand why you might not. I’ve never heard of a Chicago fan who wasn’t either a Cub fan or a White Sox fan – never both. As for the Braves I, also, grew up a Braves fan. I don’t know how old you are, but the Braves started in Boston. But Boston has always been a Red Sox town, so they didn’t draw very well and left town for Milwaukee in 1953 and later Atlanta. I continued to follow them until Ted Turner sold the team to Times Mirror, who had no interest in baseball.
    Even “sasquash 20″ came clean! Hopefully, by “beating the crap out of the old Celtics,” Danny Ange will finally decide to move some of the veterans with expiring contracts and bring in some young talent or pick up some draft choices. So, that loss to the 76ers may have been a blessing in disguise. I guess we CAN be civil and all get along.

• sasquash20 - Mar 8, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Never! My grand pop was a die hard hoops guy from Philly and taught me to hate the Celtics. The Celtics and the Lakers of the past probably kept the Sixers/Warriors from winning another 6-7 titles at least. I think hate among sports fans is a good thing (as long as there is no violence). For me when the Celtics win a title or a NY team wins one it just makes me want to see them lose that much more. And it makes it better when a Philly team wins it all.

• 1historian - Mar 11, 2012 at 9:12 AM

IF a filly team wins it all.

BIG difference

22. crisisofinfinitephils - Mar 8, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Philly is kinda a weird sports town. As someone who lived there in the late nineties-2000 I can definetly say that it’s eagles 1st and whoever is playing well second. This idea that they are suddenly some great baseball town is silly. As soon as the bottom falls out no one will care. The eagles could be terrible and they would still care. In fact I was around for the 20th anniversary of the 1980 WS win and they had some rally, or parade, or whatever and it drew flies. Most of the fans are actually quite clueless. Ask them about Von Hayes or where ‘ya gotta believe’ (i still cant get over adopting another teams rally cry because they shared the same player)originated from and you’ll get blank looks.

• The Baseball Gods - Mar 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Over 3 million tickets sold before single game tickets even went on sale…….Just sayin’.

• crisisofinfinitephils - Mar 8, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Right after the bandwagon. Doesnt disprove my point. Been to the vet(when they were terrible) and CB when they were decent but not champs. Not sold out. Just sayin’

• 1historian - Mar 11, 2012 at 9:43 AM

suckersarestillbuyingthem

• mrznyc - Mar 8, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Crisisofinfinitephils – Baseball history actually goes back before you were born – There are more World Series banners in Philadelphia than Boston – The As were dominant twice – In the early part of the century and then again when they unseated the Babe Ruth Yankees at the end of the 20s and early 30s. Both those teams were overloaded with Hall of Famers. Certainly the Carlton/Schmidt Phils were a domininat team as is the one there now. Other than St. Louis and NYC, it’s the most successful baseball town in America.

• crisisofinfinitephils - Mar 8, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Oh shit there was?!! Holy moley that’s some knowledge. Before I was born even? Where these A’s you speak of the same as the Kansas city A’s? Wait wait they aren’t the same as the Oakland A’s are they? And two final queries : 1)how does this pertain to the baseball iq of Boston vs. philly fans? And 2) who gives a shit?

• sasquash20 - Mar 8, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Ownership sucked in Philly for almost my whole life. They would never ever spend the extra money to make us a legit team. The fans still cared even if they didn’t pay the ticket prices in full force like they do now. Phillies ownership before the 08 WS title, was looked at as a complete joke. There is a reason Sports talk in Philly dominates the ratings and has for a long time. We love our sports teams even when we hate them. If that doesn’t make sense then you have no idea what its like to be a philly sports fan. We are without a doubt a football town and always will be. But if ownership spends the money to build what we feel is a legit team then we always back it up. Look at the Flyers attendance, we have always packed that place because Ed Snider is always trying to win. So eat it Philly haters!

23. thesportsguy13 - Mar 8, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Have to take whatever Bon Bon says with a grain of salt. Big talk from a guy that can only throw one pitch. A pitch that is not even effective anymore because he can not throw it with the velocity he used to.

Also funny how a few ppl giving steelersredsoxnation crap about liking teams from different cities…who the hell cares? Maybe he’s from a state with no pro teams? Maybe one parent raised him on the red sox and the other the steelers? Not a big deal. What he said isn’t wrong…maybe that’s why you hold a grudge?

• sasquash20 - Mar 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Its all in good fun

• 1historian - Mar 11, 2012 at 9:13 AM

well said

24. sleepyirv - Mar 8, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Poor Papelbon, thinking he can make peace with Philadelphia fans. They do not forget. They do not forgive. They will not like you even if you’re best player in the league. And they’ll boo you for reasons so obscure that scientists studying the issue think it might involve the ghost of Ben Franklin.

25. aceshigh11 - Mar 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Survey says?

Douchebag.

Thanks for the memories, Pap, but shut your mouth and play the damned game. Your lasting memory in Boston is of blown saves to end two seasons for us (2009 and 2011).

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto