NBC SportsTalk: Impressions of Yu

Mar 8, 2012, 8:50 AM EST

I was on NBC SportsTalk last night, talking to Russ about the Yu Darvish debut. If you read my reports from the ballpark you got the general gist. But this time you get it from a parking lot in front of a ballpark while holding a mic, so there’s that.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!

1. paperlions - Mar 8, 2012 at 8:58 AM

See….after talking to Michael Young, that double to RF might have been “a smash past the diving Michael Young”.

• orton1227 - Mar 8, 2012 at 9:54 AM

On LoneStarBall.com, we have an acronym for that: PADMY (past a diving michael young). It happened so frequently, we had to have a short version.

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM

I like PADMY. Its right there with TOOTBLAN, IMO.

2. randomdigits - Mar 8, 2012 at 9:00 AM

The biggest issue I saw with Yu coming into the league was pitch count and he did nothing yesterday to ease my concerns in that regard.

• paperlions - Mar 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM

*Facepalm*

• randomdigits - Mar 8, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Nice rebuttal.

I am not denying that there is significant value in getting 6 quality innings from him a start. That will not, however, be enough to move him into the upper echelon of starters.

Look at the game logs:

If he is running those kinds of pitch counts in Japan how can you say it won’t be an issue in the states pitching every 5 days instead of every 7?

• paperlions - Mar 8, 2012 at 11:34 AM

What I am saying is that a single 2 inning stint at the beginning of spring training is no basis to change ones opinion. It provides no information whatsoever to address your concern. If he had blown through two innings on 15 pitches, it still would not have been a basis to change opinions.

• randomdigits - Mar 8, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Then you should have said that.

I agree the sample size is way too small to be actually useful. I was simply using the chance to bring up the topic of pitch counts, since no one in the media seems to think it will be a concern.

I know Texas supposedly doesn’t keep track of pitch counts but I firmly believe that it will be the single biggest limiting factor on Darvish in the States.

3. rohlo - Mar 8, 2012 at 1:35 PM

guy could be good? kinda cocky IMO will veneable of the padres rocked a staright to center 400 ft+++ double off him…only reason it was a double is becasue of hte huge wall to staright center..it would have been out of any ballpark in mlb and he squared up on the hit as well… yu’s response- “it was kind of wind aided” LMAO the wind is what kept it from clearing the huge center field wall!! the wind was blowing in as well!! what a douche!! i say “FAHK YU”.. cant believe teams would pay so much to negotiate with these overated asian pitchers and hitters.. dice k has been mediocre or injured and foukodome has been average as well!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester