Orioles laugh at Jon Heyman’s report that they “haven’t ruled out” signing Johnny Damon

Mar 8, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT

UPDATE: Well, that didn’t take long. Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette laughed and then replied “I don’t think so” when asked about Heyman’s report that they “haven’t ruled out” signing Damon. Shocking.

==========

Remember last month, when we had a post about how Jon Heyman was trying his best to get Johnny Damon a job this season?

Well, he’s still trying:

Damon is a Scott Boras client. Coincidentally.

1. lessick - Mar 7, 2012 at 2:41 PM

I suppose. I mean if half of their outfielders and Betemit and Nick Johnson all get hurt, they wouldn’t rule out bringing in Damon.
    Nice try, Scott.

2. DJ MC - Mar 7, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Jon Heyman says the Orioles haven’t ruled out Johnny Damen.

In other words, the Orioles have ruled out Johnny Damen.

• bigmeechy74 - Mar 8, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Who is johnny Damen? I’ve never heard of him.

3. marshmallowsnake - Mar 7, 2012 at 4:09 PM

They should…

4. purnellmeagrejr - Mar 7, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I find all this self-refernecing sportswriter stufff tiresome. Maybe ya’ll should figure out a way to organize a fantasy sportswriters league – think of it as kind of like Disco-baseballl – where the spectators are the stars.

5. randygnyc - Mar 7, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Johnny should be willing to play for league minimum. I would at this point. The money is meaningless compared to the opportunity to reach 3000 hits and the likelihood of election into the Hall. Cooperstown = immortality.

• yankeesfanlen - Mar 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I agree, although you do realize that someone with less than 200 plate appearances per season is going to take a long time to get 150 hits.

• Old Gator - Mar 9, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Seems to me that most of the sports legends referred to as immortal are pretty dead.

6. jason1214 - Mar 8, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I laugh at 95% of Jon Heyman’s “reporting” too…………glad the Orioles have a clue like the rest of us.

7. watermelon1 - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Do the Orioles really have any ground to stand on as far as laughing at anything?

I mean, the obvious joke here is… “The Orioles laugh at Damon report… while the rest of the league laughs at the Orioles.”

But I think that time has long passed. The rest of the league and fans of the game don’t even laugh anymore, they just shake their heads at that mess.

8. kappy32 - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:39 AM

Heyman is an absolute joke. He man-crushes over certain players on Twitter, namely former & veteran Yankees, that I feel bad for the guy. It’s embarrassing when a grown ass man gushes over other grown ass men. Heyman’s reporting isn’t all too great either; very opinionated. His reporting of the Braun arbitration outcome was ridiculous with him posting 4 or 5 tweets, back to back, about how Braun was “innocent” and how anyone who didn’t see that was “stupid.” He tries his hardest to be Tom Verducci or Peter Gammons, but it’s just not happening. I mean, come on man, he works for CBS & since when has CBS had anything to do with baseball?

9. purnellmeagrejr - Mar 9, 2012 at 7:08 AM

Ahhh! – the daily meeting of the He-man Heyman haters club.Is that you Darla?

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3479)