Shocker: Jose Canseco banned from Mexican league due to doping claim

Mar 8, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT

Jose Canseco

Jose Canseco was all set to play in the Mexican League this year — or open up a hug store or something — but that’s on hold now. He has been banned from the league after Mexican officials said that Canseco refused to take a drug test and admitted to taking testosterone.

Wish he would have talked to me first. I would have told him to take the test and fight the results on chain-of-custody grounds. Technicalities rule.

Canseco — ignoring the fact that there is no one on the planet with less credibility than him when it comes to claims of not taking banned substances — defended himself on Twitter last night:

“How can I test positive when I never took any test don’t believe everything the media tells you.the truth always comes out I am not using any illegal substanced … Don’t be so quick to judge till you here the truth that’s a sure sign of ignorance hatred and jealousy.”

Of course, testosterone is not “illegal,” it’s just banned. And he later admitted to taking it due to a medical condition, so this probably doesn’t matter. Then he said something rather chilling:

Not to be too dramatic, but watching this man rant on, unhinged, for the past couple of years, I would not be at all shocked if that’s how it actually ended.

1. phukyouk - Mar 8, 2012 at 10:10 AM

“Dad, your’re going to kill us all!”
    ” Or die trying!”

2. brewcrewfan54 - Mar 8, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I’m sure my softball team could use his bat in our lineup if he wants to play that bad.

• davidpom50 - Mar 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM

He use to play in my coed league. It was surreal.

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 8, 2012 at 10:56 AM

If that’s not B.S then surreal sounds like the only word that would describe it.

• davidpom50 - Mar 8, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Here’s a picture of me and Jose at the park. https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/24001_831894734157_3608376_46697152_8378511_n.jpg Spring 2010, Rancho Simi Parks and Recreation District Oak Park Wednesday Night “C” Division.

• nolanwiffle - Mar 8, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Dude…that is clearly Ozzie. You were duped.

• Bryz - Mar 8, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Are you sure that wasn’t Ozzie Canseco? After all, Jose does have a habit of sending Ozzie in his place.

• cur68 - Mar 8, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Dave, dude, a redhead? Jeez. Bummer, bro. Stay out of the sun. Ozzie’s lookin’ well, isn’t he?

• davidpom50 - Mar 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Dammit. I kind of thought at the time that Jose must be off the Juice, he’s looking smaller. Now I realize you’re probably all right, it WAS Ozzie. But he wasn’t getting paid to be there, so I don’t see why he would bother saying he was Jose. Just liked the attention, I guess?

• davidpom50 - Mar 8, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Also, to cur… I’m much more concerned about the serious moobs I was rocking in that picture than the color of my hair, which is awesome.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 9, 2012 at 3:05 PM

David: I am sure it was sort of surreal. What’s really hard to believe is they allowed Jose (er…Ozzie) to play ‘C’ ball w/ your team.

• ceadderman - Mar 16, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Just don’t have him play in the outfield. :p

3. phukyouk - Mar 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM

“Don’t be so quick to judge till you here the truth…”

clearly he aint gonna be an English professor either.

4. El Bravo - Mar 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM

yeah, that’s right Jose, I’m jealous of you…

5. bloodysock - Mar 8, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Thi sis all part of Jose’s master plan to get back into MLB and removed from the blacklist.

6. buffalomafia - Mar 8, 2012 at 11:05 AM

All that steroid talk now you can buy testosterone pills & andro cream from GNC or on tv?

7. thefalcon123 - Mar 8, 2012 at 11:14 AM

You’d think if you were….say….the most infamous steroid user in sports history that you would double and triple check your league’s banned substance list and make sure everything were 100% in the clear before signing. But no, Jose Canseco is actually that stupid. Or a liar. Either way, it couldn’t have happened to a more deserving person.

8. shaggylocks - Mar 8, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I could have told you this was going to be a problem weeks ago, when we had to stop our 10-year-old niece from going to the Jose Canseco Hug Store after she started growing facial hair and displaying other male secondary sex characteristics. I’m telling you, there’s something in those hugs, man!

9. shaggylocks - Mar 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Does anyone know Jose’s address? I need to send him a shirt…

• phukyouk - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Si motherfu*ker… Si

10. dadawg77 - Mar 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Isnt using here for hear a sign of ignorance?

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 8, 2012 at 11:52 AM

It could just mean he needs to proofread his twitters before sends them. We all accidentally type the wrong version of a word sometimes.

• vivabear - Mar 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM

All of us, except Gator.

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I quit reading his Dennis Miller-esque I’m so smart I’m going to wow you with my vocabulary posts for the most part.

• vivabear - Mar 8, 2012 at 12:53 PM

There’s some truth to that…except that Dennis Miller has been, on occasion, funny in his lifetime.

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM

I wouldn’t know. Both use so many big words the humor is lost to me. When trying to be funny, short and sweet works much better.

11. pisano - Mar 8, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Not that he hasn’t been an effing DOPE his whole life!

12. jsally430 - Mar 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I watched a documetary I cant remember if it was espn or some where else where he said his um……. Boulders? Were shriveled up to the size of grapes And was taking testosterone so he might be able to use it again. But damn this guys of his rocker

13. nesuperfan - Mar 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM

“Canseco — ignoring the fact that there is no one on the planet with less credibility than him when it comes to claims of not taking banned substances”

I would dispute that. He has freely admitted his use. Check out the guys, who you KNOW have, but still lie about it. They have a lot less credibility in my book.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3688)