Mar 8, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
Jose Canseco was all set to play in the Mexican League this year — or open up a hug store or something — but that’s on hold now. He has been banned from the league after Mexican officials said that Canseco refused to take a drug test and admitted to taking testosterone.
Wish he would have talked to me first. I would have told him to take the test and fight the results on chain-of-custody grounds. Technicalities rule.
Canseco — ignoring the fact that there is no one on the planet with less credibility than him when it comes to claims of not taking banned substances — defended himself on Twitter last night:
“How can I test positive when I never took any test don’t believe everything the media tells you.the truth always comes out I am not using any illegal substanced … Don’t be so quick to judge till you here the truth that’s a sure sign of ignorance hatred and jealousy.”
Of course, testosterone is not “illegal,” it’s just banned. And he later admitted to taking it due to a medical condition, so this probably doesn’t matter. Then he said something rather chilling:
I am going to play baseball again even if I have to die trying
— Jose Canseco (@JoseCanseco) March 8, 2012
Not to be too dramatic, but watching this man rant on, unhinged, for the past couple of years, I would not be at all shocked if that’s how it actually ended.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)