Mar 8, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
Jose Canseco was all set to play in the Mexican League this year — or open up a hug store or something — but that’s on hold now. He has been banned from the league after Mexican officials said that Canseco refused to take a drug test and admitted to taking testosterone.
Wish he would have talked to me first. I would have told him to take the test and fight the results on chain-of-custody grounds. Technicalities rule.
Canseco — ignoring the fact that there is no one on the planet with less credibility than him when it comes to claims of not taking banned substances — defended himself on Twitter last night:
“How can I test positive when I never took any test don’t believe everything the media tells you.the truth always comes out I am not using any illegal substanced … Don’t be so quick to judge till you here the truth that’s a sure sign of ignorance hatred and jealousy.”
Of course, testosterone is not “illegal,” it’s just banned. And he later admitted to taking it due to a medical condition, so this probably doesn’t matter. Then he said something rather chilling:
I am going to play baseball again even if I have to die trying
— Jose Canseco (@JoseCanseco) March 8, 2012
Not to be too dramatic, but watching this man rant on, unhinged, for the past couple of years, I would not be at all shocked if that’s how it actually ended.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 64
- Alex Sanabia brings back the spitball in beating the Phillies 51
- Joe Maddon shows us why limited instant replay and manager challenges are bad ideas 46
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore 73
- Apparently Miguel Cabrera’s 2013 has made his 2012 better somehow 55
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- Golden Super Bowl to Bay Area; LI to Houston
- PBT: Grizzlies aim to stem Spurs' momentum
- HBT: Yankees buying share of expansion MLS team
- PHT: Kings searching for killer instinct in Game 4
- PFT: Romo out of OTAs after back surgery
- PFT: NFL want to make Pro Bowl like game show