Mar 8, 2012, 10:04 AM EDT
Jose Canseco was all set to play in the Mexican League this year — or open up a hug store or something — but that’s on hold now. He has been banned from the league after Mexican officials said that Canseco refused to take a drug test and admitted to taking testosterone.
Wish he would have talked to me first. I would have told him to take the test and fight the results on chain-of-custody grounds. Technicalities rule.
Canseco — ignoring the fact that there is no one on the planet with less credibility than him when it comes to claims of not taking banned substances — defended himself on Twitter last night:
“How can I test positive when I never took any test don’t believe everything the media tells you.the truth always comes out I am not using any illegal substanced … Don’t be so quick to judge till you here the truth that’s a sure sign of ignorance hatred and jealousy.”
Of course, testosterone is not “illegal,” it’s just banned. And he later admitted to taking it due to a medical condition, so this probably doesn’t matter. Then he said something rather chilling:
I am going to play baseball again even if I have to die trying
— Jose Canseco (@JoseCanseco) March 8, 2012
Not to be too dramatic, but watching this man rant on, unhinged, for the past couple of years, I would not be at all shocked if that’s how it actually ended.
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 3
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 39
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 28
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)