The Astros likely to get the gun back on their Colt .45s throwback uniforms

Mar 8, 2012, 1:34 PM EDT

Image (1) Colt%20.45s%20logo.gif for post 4997

A couple weeks ago we heard that Major League Baseball — in a fit of nanny mania — decided that the the Astros could not put the guns on their throwback Colt .45s uniforms this season.

It was a crazy decision, mostly because it flew in the face of historical accuracy. Also: if you make a decision that even a wimpy pinko lefty like me finds to be silly, you’re off in crazy land.

But now, it seems, sanity has been restored:

Here’s hoping the Astros do the right thing and put the guns back on.  We’re all adults and can handle it. And the kids these days — or any days, really — aren’t so idiotic that they’re going to be sent into violence and delinquency by the sight of Wandy Rodriguez wearing a gun on his shirt.

And besides: no one is going to be watching the Astros this year anyway.

1. cur68 - Mar 8, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Kicking the Astros when they’re down isn’t very clever, Craig. Funny, yes, but not clever. Their fan could be reading this, y’know.

• stex52 - Mar 8, 2012 at 6:13 PM

He is reading it. I would be a lot more disturbed if I thought it wasn’t true. Astros are going to field a historically bad team this year. They are measurably worse than the 106-game loser of last year, so I will just take the lumps and hope for the future.

And actually another Astros fan popped up on another thread this week.

2. southcapitolstreet - Mar 8, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I’m not sure this is such a good idea. Didn’t the Mariners have to change their hats after all those trident attacks?

• Chris St. John - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I stabbed a man in the heart.
      I saw that. Brick killed a guy. Did you throw a trident?
      Yeah, there were horses and a man on fire and I killed a guy with a trident.

3. nelsonsaint - Mar 8, 2012 at 1:50 PM

A trade for Chief Wahoo is the only sensible solution to this problem.

4. gostros19 - Mar 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Well Craig, that last part of your good article is just uncalled for. We get it, they suck. They are rebuilding though give it a rest and don’t throw it in our faces!

• kingofmeh - Mar 9, 2012 at 4:54 PM

methinks “thin-skinned” and “astro fan” don’t go well together.

5. AlohaMrHand - Mar 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I still wish they would of considered changing it to,a 40 bottle with a baseball cap on it.

6. skids003 - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Finally, a win for sanity in this country…. Kick out the PC police.

7. danielcp0303 - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM

If only I could take that gun on their jersey and shoot the Astros fandom out of my brain, it would be less painful than having to watch Carlos Lee carry (eat) a team

8. sleepyirv - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I always thought Colts was a good baseball team name. A nice retro name reference to early Chicago Cubs. If we could only get teams named Pilgrims and Highlanders then we would be cooking.

9. astrosfan75956 - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Way to kick somebody while their down. The guns should be allowed in the unis,

10. bouwel92 - Mar 8, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Yes they suck right now like we need to be reminded. But as a lifelong astros fan i watch when they win or lose. You gotta go through the bad years before you get to the good.

11. El Bravo - Mar 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Those guns are racist caricatures of real life guns.

• AlohaMrHand - Mar 8, 2012 at 4:38 PM

HA!!!!!!!!

12. ezthinking - Mar 8, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Peacemaker?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4934)