Mar 9, 2012, 5:41 PM EDT
Making his spring debut after missing all of 2011, Adam Wainwright pitched two hitless innings against the Twins on Friday.
Wainwright was consistently in the low-90s in the outing, showing the same velocity he did prior to his Tommy John surgery last spring. He wasn’t perfect with his command, throwing 14 of his 30 pitches for balls, but he didn’t need to be against a Twins offense that also missed 2011 and still appears absent now.
The Cardinals have already announced that Wainwright’s next start has been moved up, as he’ll pitch on three days’ rest instead of the usual four. It sounds as if the ailing Chris Carpenter will be backed off his scheduled Opening Day assignment, leaving Wainwright and Jaime Garcia as the first two starters in the rotation.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)