Mar 9, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
Brown has been diagnosed with a sprain after suffering the injury attempting a diving catch earlier this week, but Gelb notes that “much of the inflammation and scar tissue is actually remnants of a similar injury” from last year and “it’s the fourth injury since 2009 to his right hand.”
That’s not exactly good news, of course, but at least Brown avoided something more serious this time around. His chances of cracking the Opening Day roster, however, remain slim, but that has more to do with the Phillies’ continued disinterest in giving him an extended opportunity at age 24 than anything else.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45